Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - The states taking the opioid epidemic seriously (and not), in one map

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
The states taking the opioid epidemic seriously (and not), in one map
German Lopez
Vox
February 22nd, 2018

There?s a simple way to understand how the opioid epidemic got so bad in America: In the US, it is much easier to get high than it is to get help for addiction.

How this applies at the state level, though, can differ ? some states have made an effort to build serious infrastructure around opioid addiction treatment, while others have not. This map, from the health research firm Avalere Health, shows how states are doing in providing a key frontline treatment for opioid addiction, compared to the amount of opioid overdose deaths they have:

NSFW:
buprenorphine_versus_opioid_overdose_deaths.png

The map looks particularly at the number of buprenorphine providers in the state relative to how many opioid overdose deaths a state has. Buprenorphine is a medication used to treat opioid addiction; along with methadone and naltrexone, it?s widely considered the gold standard of care for opioid use disorder, with studies showing medications can cut the all-cause mortality rate among opioid addiction patients by half or more.

So if a state has less access to the drug and a high number of overdose deaths, it?s likely failing at fully addressing its opioid crisis. Based on the map, that appears to be true for states like West Virginia, Ohio, and New Hampshire, where opioid overdose deaths are very high yet access to buprenorphine is low.

A few caveats to the map: Some states, like Pennsylvania, have historically undercounted opioid overdose deaths ? so they may look better than they deserve in this kind of visualization. The map also doesn?t show the availability of methadone, another opioid addiction medication that some states, such as New York, may do better at providing than buprenorphine ? so those states may look worse than they deserve.

Read the full story here.

Alabama is flooded with sub providers but they are all expensive cash and carry type places. No insurance accepted

"epidemic"

concentration of suboxone doctors to opioid overdose deaths isn't a great indicator of an availability of doctors:patients.

There's a patient limit doctors face which limits everyone getting to be seen, and some states have very few doctors at all (i.e. Kentucky; a friend of mine from this site had to drive multiple hours one-way just to get to a sub doctor). However, not every opiate addict faces near-fatal OD's, etc. and there's states that are doing a much better job with naloxone distribution, etc.

Perhaps a chart with each state and how many people went to prison for possession/distribution....

There's very little a state can do to limit the "epidemic" (it's not an epidemic), and whatever they do, even if they sufficiently quash heroin, it may just spread to (bupe/methadone/fentanyl, RC fentanyl analogs, kratom, etc; and in lieu of this) other drugs, such as methamphetamine or crack or cocaine.

Seems about right, the entire Midwest, save Indiana, is pretty shitty when it comes to recovery.

I'm Inclined to agree with captain though, while it is a crisis in some places, it's not a full-blown epedemic.

"epidemic"

concentration of suboxone doctors to opioid overdose deaths isn't a great indicator of an availability of doctors:patients.

There's a patient limit doctors face which limits everyone getting to be seen, and some states have very few doctors at all (i.e. Kentucky; a friend of mine from this site had to drive multiple hours one-way just to get to a sub doctor). However, not every opiate addict faces near-fatal OD's, etc. and there's states that are doing a much better job with naloxone distribution, etc.

Perhaps a chart with each state and how many people went to prison for possession/distribution....

There's very little a state can do to limit the "epidemic" (it's not an epidemic), and whatever they do, even if they sufficiently quash heroin, it may just spread to (bupe/methadone/fentanyl, RC fentanyl analogs, kratom, etc; and in lieu of this) other drugs, such as methamphetamine or crack or cocaine.

Truth.

The "epidemic" will burn itself out in time. Most of my using friends are in and out of treatment multiple times. Until we implement a sane policy of harm reduction the bodies will pile up.