• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - How Experts Would Spend $100 Billion to Solve the Opioid Crisis

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
How a Police Chief, a Governor and a Sociologist Would Spend $100 Billion to Solve the Opioid Crisis
Josh Katz
The New York Times
February 14th, 2018

The American opioid epidemic has defied all efforts to contain it, and the number of overdose deaths continues to grow. President Trump directed the Department of Health and Human Services to declare the opioid crisis a public health emergency in October and said "we have to do something about it" in his State of the Union address, but his administration has yet to pursue a specific strategy.

We asked 30 experts to think big, but realistically, about solutions. Imagine you had $100 billion to spend over five years - a little less than current federal domestic H.I.V./AIDS spending - to address the opioid crisis. Where would you put that money?

Here, in aggregate, is what our panel said:

[See full article for image.]

The consensus of the experts was that any effective strategy should include funding for four major areas: treatment, harm reduction, and both demand- and supply-focused solutions. The answer above is an average, as our panelists disagreed about the best way to divide up the money they were considering.

Our panel spent more money on treatment programs than anything else. (Over two million Americans are estimated to have a problem with opioids.) It was the top priority for more than 20 of the experts.

Read the full story here.

What I worry is that "treatment" will be the same-old-same-old which has a pretty dismal record.

"You remember D.A.R.E., right? Why isn't that program in each and every scool, our kids didn't have issues with drugs and violence back then! Oh, and it gave old, senile police an earned wage!"

No sir, I'll never do drugs.

*bangs speedball in back row*

"You boys wouldn't happen to be hopped up on goodballs, would ya?" *gives stink eye of an appropriate squintiness, learnin' ya something*

"You remember D.A.R.E., right? Why isn't that program in each and every scool, our kids didn't have issues with drugs and violence back then! Oh, and it gave old, senile police an earned wage!"

I remember d.a.r.e....
Drug Abuse Resistance Education(for those unfamiliar).....

Where i grew up, the officers that came to the classroom(to "educate" the students on the dangers of drugs) were always introduced as "officer friendly".

I remember finding it very odd, even back(elementary school) then.
Ive always been curious if that was a regional thing or generational or what.

Anyone else have an "officer friendly?"

$100 billion would buy a lot of dope. Just distribute it to opioid enthusiasts for free. Problem solved.

Massive waste of tax payer money. There’s more pressing concerns.

There's always more pressing concerns. If we only ever focused on whatever the most pressing current issue is and ignored everything else society would fall apart.

It reminds me of when trump recently suggested the FBI was to blame for one of the school shootings because it was busy focusing on investigating him. I have a seeking suspicion the FBI does actually have the ability to run more than one investigation at a time and the government has the money to work on more than one problem at a time.

I remember d.a.r.e....
Drug Abuse Resistance Education(for those unfamiliar).....

Where i grew up, the officers that came to the classroom(to "educate" the students on the dangers of drugs) were always introduced as "officer friendly".

I remember finding it very odd, even back(elementary school) then.
Ive always been curious if that was a regional thing or generational or what.

Anyone else have an "officer friendly?"

I don’t recall

I was too baked.

Why people would think the four pillars of prevention, treatment, harm reduction and education would help the situation considering its what we’ve been trying for the last four decades or so is beyond me...

They are powerless against heroin ...just let them all kill themselves but don't reduce pain patients Access