• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Has anyone been, or is, on Olanzapine?

SirSwede

Greenlighter
What are some of the primary concerns I can have when considering taking this drug? Has anyone had a positive reaction to the drug that they feel overrides potential negative side effects? Tell me about what made you start taking it in the first place and what's changed, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was prescribed it years ago. Put me on my ass, and not just initially, I had to be taken off of it, because despite it working for my psych symptoms, I was a zombie all day.

What's your sitch?

He means what is your "situation"? For instance, what mental illness do you suffer from. Yes, I was prescribed them some years ago for schizophrenia. They didn't help and they are the LEAST sedating antipsychotic I have ever taken. I'm now on clozapine, and truly knocks me on my ass.

Yeah, sorry, it was early and I wasn't thinking that my choice of words wasn't the best. The diagnosis I have on paper is schizoaffective, but what I've seen of the DSM-5 basically has most psychotic disorders or those with psychotic features on a spectrum now, kinda like with autism, if I understand correctly.

And I've also known people that Zyprexa didn't phase em a bit either. Neuroleptic drugs effect everyone so differently, aand of course depends on what symptoms you're having, etc. I'd imagine a search here on Bluelight and via Google would probably turn up any and every different experience with the drug you could think of, so curious what's up with ya. I know psych meds xan truly suck.

About a year and a half ago I was prescribed Zyprexa for psychotic symptoms. Out of the many antipsychotic drugs I've been on, Zyprexa was one of worst. It made me gain weight, turned me into a zombie, unable to concentrate, and after a while I became suicidal. A lot of these drugs were bad for me and I haven't had a positive/helpful experience from any of them except Saphris probably.

3/10

OP, we really try to steer ourselves away from threads that are nothing more than, here is a drug, what is it, are you on it, do you like it, no, is it fun, have you improved upon your symptoms, how long did that take, are there any interactions I should be aware of with my other medications? Among, many other potential questions you may have.

Although, I understand that this is an antipsychotic medication and that deciding whether to be on it is a major life decision. In the spirit of HR, I really want to see you succeed and (perhaps) avoid negative behavior/psychological disposition going forward. For your own benefit, I'm going to reword your original thread for what I believe you're after. If this isn't the case, let me know.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to our Mental Health section where they can help with this type of medication.

I?ve been prescribed it a lot actually, but for sleep. It?s an antipsychotic drug, but is used for more things. Oh, yeah, I was on 5 and 10mg pills and dissolving tablets. I take it at night bc I know I?ll be out at least 10-12 hrs after taking it.

What are some of the primary concerns I can have when considering taking this drug? Has anyone had a positive reaction to the drug that they feel overrides potential negative side effects? Tell me about what made you start taking it in the first place and what's changed, please.

I was given this medication as a general ?mood stabilizer? after I detoxed from heroin, over a decade ago. I went from about 145 pounds to about 210, and it was all in my face and stomach. I looked like the grinch. It did absolutely nothing positive for me, and they ultimately switched me to Seroquel instead because of its lower propensity for weight gain.

That said, I should have never been prescribed such a medication to begin with, so I cannot comment on its efficacy in terms of its real purpose.

I'm prescribed olanzapine for schizoaffective disorder. It helps me keep a regular sleep schedule and prevents me from getting very excited. I like it. I haven't experienced any side effects.

I'm prescribed olanzapine for schizoaffective disorder. It helps me keep a regular sleep schedule and prevents me from getting very excited. I like it. I haven't experienced any side effects.

me too!

I was on it for 7 years between 2002 and 2008 and it kept me mentally stable as good as you would hope for.

as for the OP question "What are some of the primary concerns I can have when considering taking this drug? Has anyone had a positive reaction to the drug that they feel overrides potential negative side effects? Tell me about what made you start taking it in the first place and what's changed, please."

Weight gain due to increased appetite (very common side affect with all anti-psychotic's) was the only negative side affect i experienced. However being able to have a regular sleep pattern easily made up for needing to get extra large tee-shirts.

I'm prescribed olanzapine to take as needed if ever I get out of control thoughts or anxiety. I find it hardly has an effect but people around me have told me I look calmer after having taken it. Not very sedating if you ask me.

Last edited:
my gf responds awesome to it, especially the slow release type.. for me though, itl bring me down if i get too fast, but it literally makes me DUMB. like next level zombie.... yuck for me

Days ago, a doctor friend prescribed me things i wanted. Meanwhile he noticed that I have lost too much weight (due to taking more stuffs and eating less food)
I've always been extremely skinny. Its a genetic problem, no matter how much I eat but he (the doc) said I seem skinnier than ever and therefore he added Olanza to the prescription. He said Olanza is not a recreational med, but taking one pill before sleep can help me gain weight and get rid of my schizoaffective disorders.

Im not sure what it means to be zombie by using/abusing a stuff but I took only one pill and slept for up to 15 hours. actually was sober but after doing some searches, i found out that this med does nothing to many ppl. Just gaining weight and weight-gain and oversleeps. Im not a doctor but according to my exp and what some ppl claim, this med is useless, doesn't even produce calming effects. And oversleep, is what I hate about most meds/drugs. Maybe olanza can really reduce schizophrenia but only a jobless or a highly depressed person would sleep longer than 10 hours. Sometimes I have to stay up to offer 24-hours design services.