• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ambien break

kebabas

Greenlighter
Hello. Ambien not working anymore. :( I read on internet if you do 7 days break it can start working again. So i have zopiclone (z drug) so i want to ask who knows can i use zopiclone when im doing break from ambien? or better use clonazepame? I have really bad insomnia and ambien was working fine until tolerance... Or maybe i need do more break?

Hey Kebabas, I see that you've only posted a few times here and there, so even though you joined a few months ago, I'd like to give you a sincere welcome to the forums. I hope to see that post count rise rapidly as you contribute a new perspective to the forums than what we had before. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, concerns or hallucinations leading to moments of sheer and utter terror. But we (in a royal sense) are digressing.

Now, the issue involved is obviously that you've become tolerant to drugs that you've used to induce sleep. It can be very, very easy to become addicted to sleeping pills. Why? After even an acute usage, you're not even physically tolerant to the effects yet, but, you are unable to induce sleep without them, so you keep using them until sleep is completely impossible without them. You can't go long without sleep, so it's pretty easy to just keep taking the pills.

So, while I appreciate what you're trying to do, substituting one drug for another to reduce tolerance, which, if done in a safe way, is a much healthier option that further increasing tolerance. If you become addicted to a poly-substance cocktail, it's much worse. The issue is not picking the right drug to use, it's that you need to cease using sleeping pills of any kind if you wish to be able to sleep without them in the future.

Z-Drugs, are a class of drugs that are easily identifiable by the fact that they're used almost exclusively to induce sleep and that they begin with the letter Z. These drugs are fairly cross-tolerant to Benzodiazepines. Z-Drugs are in fact part of a larger, informal group of drugs known as non-Benzodiazepine, confusing nomenclature, as non- Benzodiazepines, just like non-Barbiturates are defined by the fact that they exert a similar effect and are cross tolerant with Benzodiazepines.

Even if you decide to substitute Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril), you are probably not going to reduce your tolerance in an appreciable manner. You would be much better off pursuing non-cross-tolerant substances, like, for instance, Gabapentinoids: Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut (Supplement, OTC), Cannabis, Sedating Antihistamines i.e. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) among other drugs.

Sleeping pills, including Z-Drugs and Benzodiazepines are not to be prescribed for a period longer than, at most, 14 days. Any prescriber who writes a prescription for a period longer than this is knowingly violating a fairly well-known rule. It's irresponsible prescribers that cause so many people to become dependent upon Benzodiazepines for life. It is an extremely hard habit to break once you've been dependent for a long period of time.

Really, you need to stop using these drugs daily, at the very least. If you use the sleeping pills once or maybe twice a week, you may be able to maintain total efficacy indefinitely. Please consider my advice. This is not my opinion, it's considered to be medically advisable in a universal sense.

I?ve been taking ambien plus seroquel which seems to prevent tolerance to either drug. I have been taking both for multiple years prescribed by the same doctor. Don?t know if anyone else has tried this, but it works well for me