• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health How long until sedation from Seroquel stops being so pronounced?

cacachanel

Greenlighter
Hi. I've been prescribed Seroquel extended release for maniac episodes with gradual dosage increments, at 200 mg at the moment. I absolutely cannot function this way. I work in an intellectually demanding job and it's becoming impossible. I'm using cocaine orally to counter it, and a lot of coffee but I don't want to use coke for more than three or four consecutive days, and I also don't wanna be fired, as I'm in a very good moment of my career . I believe the sedation is due to the antihistaminergic properties, so, am I going to eventually get tolerant to it or is it going to be like this forever? I'll stop taking it if it's the case.
Also, as always, sorry for my English mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I took seroquel 1 time at 50mg and it about knocked me down for a full day. So I dont know how you are starting at 200mg! I did take Risperdal which is similiar to seroquel but less sedating. The risperdal took me about 5 days to get over the initial tiredness feeling. I've been told seroquel is around the same...sometimes up to a week before you should adjust and the drowsy part wear off somewhat or entirely. I couldnt get past that first day...I hated how I felt the whole next day so I refused to take it anymore.

Holy 200mg!!! Thats insane. Theres no way I would take that much.

That being said... tolerance should develop fairly quickly. Did you ask your doctor if theres any alternative medications you can take? I would probably do that.

(moving from BDD)

It depends if Seroquel is being used for bipolar or antipsychotic. OP, if you are struggling to focus at your job talk with your doctor about switching your medication. There are other meds they can give you for manic phase that aren't so sedating. Risperidone or aripiprazole come to mind. You shouldn't have to use cocaine to combat Seroquel's effects.

Actually, the higher the dose the less drowsiness occurs after 200 mg believe t or not. In small amounts it affects histamine receptors and in large amounts causes different changes on the body. There’s literature on it. Good luck.

One other thing, tolerance does not develop. I used 25 mg for sleep for 5 years. Only until I developed Beh?et’s disease and needed humira did I have to switch off because the seroquels side effects became way too prominent and disallowed me to use an antidepressant which I desperately so needed. Instead I hd to find a different alternative for sleep. Seroquel was the best medication however for sleep. As I mentioned earlier though, seroquel is not an antipsychotic or bipolar medication until the dose rises significantly.

One other thing, tolerance does not develop. I used 25 mg for sleep for 5 years. Only until I developed Beh?et?s disease and needed humira did I have to switch off because the seroquels side effects became way too prominent and disallowed me to use an antidepressant which I desperately so needed. Instead I hd to find a different alternative for sleep. Seroquel was the best medication however for sleep. As I mentioned earlier though, seroquel is not an antipsychotic or bipolar medication until the dose rises significantly.

Yes it does. I started out at 25 five months ago and now I am at 350 and I am lucky if I get three hours out of that.

Yeah I was on 3x 25mg through the day and 100 at might for a while.

You just gotta get up and cold shower and gorce yourself awake. Thats it.

You wont be on it forever, if you are on it a while just go to bed as early as possible.