• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long time Reader just registered. Question about a medicine

Chronicpain54

Bluelighter
Good evening all. I'm a chronic pain patient of many years and I read threads on this site to gather information on the medicine I'm prescribed.

I take 10mg methadone 3x a day as my long acting pain medicine. I am prescribed both Norco and oxyIR 15 mgs for breakthrough pain (120 of each). I take .05 mgs of klonopin 3x a day. I'm also prescribed Gralise 600 mg at night, Relpax for migraine and phenegran and Zolfran for nausea.
My question? I was sick recently and bought some Delsym. I've read some threads about DXM but I don't quite understand the draw of this. Last week I took approximately 100 mls of Delsym with my nightly pain medicine but all I got was a nasty headache and vomiting when I woke up the next morning. Is this normal?

I had taken my nightly dose of 10 mgs of Methadone, .05 of klonopin, my Gralise and 15 mgs of oxyIR.
Was that a fluke, do I need less DXM, more DXM or none at all on my combination of meds? I don't take extra of my medicine and don't run out early but I thought it would be interesting to see if DXM would make me feel something since I haven't felt my medicine in many years. It helps stop the pain but I don't feel high or spacey.
I don't even know what feeling it's supposed to give you since I haven't seen specific accounts on how it effects other people. Their accounts on how they feel are vague. Any thoughts? Do I take more Delsym than 100 mls?

Hey there chronicpain, welcome to the Bluelight :)

I'm going to move your thread over to Basic Drug Discussion as it's a specific question about taking DXM and your existing pain meds.

Best,
CFC

Welcome

First, dxm doesn’t really enhance your opioid effects, it is for helping to slow (and anecdotally) even prevent tolerance from developing, to some degree - don’t know the dosage you took, however delays is a long acting formulation of dxm if not mistaken, and that was likely too large a dose(100ml) which explains the next morning vomiting

In your case, not sure dxm will help, though start with say 30mg, no mores until you test it-frog orders;)

Seriously, though, there are inhibitors that can really fuck with methadone metabolism, raising BA%%(to a varying extent as it’s already usually fairly high) and t1/2(making it even longer) and, even things like
urinary ph effect t1/2 and elimination; increased stomach PH also enhances absorption

To your question, it is a potent opioid, though somewhat slow acting, with a delayed onset, an intermediate to slow peak, though a typically long duration- describing how an
opioid feels is hard, it is bliss, yet it can be relaxing, and stimulating-however opioid addictions isn’t something you want- although you would be better off with a higher methadone dose, and n norco- why a doctor would give so many breakthrymeds, yet only 10mg methadone(even tid) makes no sense to me; would try 15mg tid and nix hydro, or even 20-25 BID

Notr those are not dose recommendations, just alternative prescription SL that make sense with moderate-severe chronic pain; it is good you get Oxycodone as a rescue med; we are not all just about getting high, though can tell you will likely “feel” oxycodone more; if they are tablets, snorting is one way to experiment, or taking 2; ok, do not want to be encouraging medication misuse, just pointing out the more practical way, since you seem curious - others may describe it better(the intangible feeling of opiates) though mine is to go into the odd details

Delsym contains dextromethorphan polystirex, not hbr. Polystirex has a slower release due to the molecular structure, meaning people rarely trip on it because it lasts many hours and isn't a normal trip at all. Also, it contains guaifenesin, which makes you vomit. Go get some dex-only products such as cough-gels which are very easy to stomach, or a syrup. Any other ingredients will mess you up, and please go check out the Big and Dandy DXM thread before you try this again.

Also, your dosing sounds very strange. If you drank 100 ml of delsym, that's 600 mg of dxm, and though I don't know much about how the release of polystirex effects the trip, but that is a very high dose.

I'll take a stab at how I feel when the meds start kicking in. Mind you, I snort Opana so it may not be exactly the same for you. I start to get sort of a glow of good feeling, like your body sort of swells up and kind of feels warm all over. I also get an energy boost. Yes it can be a very addicting sensation.

I saw a show where a heroin addict described his usage like this - it's a mother's hug when you do it but when you're out, it's like a cold slap in the face from your daddy. I kinda like that description. Hope that helps OP.

Thank you guys for all of the comments. I agree that having a low dose of methadone and a ton of breakthrough medicine does not make sense but that is what my doctor did so I cannot up my dosage of methadone without running out early. My next appointment is this week so I'll see what he does about my medicine then.

As for the D XM dosage? I did not mean to confuse you guys. I took about 100 ml of Delsym which equals a little over 90 mg of DXM. Basically I took three of the measuring cups full of Delsym.

Since that time I went to the store and found some DXM that has nothing else in it and I'll experiment a little with it. I don't feel anything off of my medicines anymore because I've been on them for so long and I was just curious to see if I could use something else to help me occasionally feel the medicine. I know that that's not the point when you are in a pain management position but with all of this medicine it is sometimes irritating that I can't at least have a good time every once in awhile LOL. I don't dare drink alcohol because of the medicines I'm on so that's out. So I'm looking for a safer way to at least have an occasional feeling of high if that makes sense.