• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Serotonin Syndrome?

trippieh3lix

Bluelighter
I take tramadol for my fibromyalgia. It says to be careful taking it with imitrex (my migraine med) and to space the two apart. I?ve never had an issue with the two, but Id like to know if its an interaction Im having (serotonin syndrome). I take 100mgs of tramadol throughout the day, 50 in the morning and 50 in the afternoon. Last one being 3pm for the tramadol.

I had a few things last night. A weird pasta dish from Dominos that couldve possibly made me sick. I started getting the chills before bed, and Im always warm before bed.

30 minutes after I took imitrex. Couldnt get warm and the heater was making my room very hot and I was still cold. Got up at 4am with a 102f fever. Weak. Super cold. Fell asleep around 6, woke up at 7 sweating.

Its now gone down on its own with keeping my room cool, drinking water, 99.7f which is strange because my fevers never do this. When Im sick, they stay around for days. My niece had a stomach bug but didnt have a fever a few days ago. Thats the only person who may have been sick in the house, no one else is sick here. Or the chicken pasta dish from Dominos caused it.

Is this a coincidence or do you think im ok? I understand no ones my own doctor but cant get a hold of my office so Id like an opinion first. My fever isn?t particularly high now and I?m not exactly shaking, vomiting, etc so not sure if they?d do anything for me if I went in.

Last edited:
I'm by no means a doctor but since you did have take out food last night - that sounds like food poisoning to me.

^ I'm leaning towards the chicken too. If you had a virus, it's likely that you would still be sick from it. Serotonin sickness is a possibility even though you've taken this combination before. It might not be coincidental that it happened soon after you took the Imitrex. How are you feeling now?

I too am leaning toward food poisoning, serotonin syndrome usually consists of several symptoms, and is often quite severe.

Serotonin syndrome most often presents with hyperthermia and muscle rigidity, its possible that what you experienced was ultimately a side effect of the drug(s) as serotonin does play an important role in autonomic nervous system function but I don't know if serotonin syndrome would be the best diagnosis. Muscle rigidity and other symptoms like that are typically present when talking about serotonin syndrome.

Taking triptans results in constriction of arteries that supply the brain, and too much vasoconstriction can result in a lot of symptoms as well.

I just dealt with serotonin syndrome and you’ll definitely know if you have it. Mine was within minutes of taking my medication and you feel like someone is cremating you! Your heart beats out of your chest and you become frantic. I ran in circles screaming I was dying! It’s pretty intense. I do feel like my body tried to warn me this was going to happen so if your symptoms progress don’t take the imutrex anymore. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated!