View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

CDC reports Salmonella Contaminated Kratom: 28 cases in 20 states

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
big-map-2-16-18.jpg

February 20, 2018
CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella I 4,[5],12:b:- infections.

Public health investigators are using the PulseNet system to identify illnesses that may be part of this outbreak. PulseNet is the national subtyping network of public health and food regulatory agency laboratories coordinated by CDC. DNA fingerprinting is performed on Salmonella bacteria isolated from ill people by using techniques called pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) and whole genome sequencing (WGS). CDC PulseNet manages a national database of these DNA fingerprints to identify possible outbreaks. WGS gives a more detailed DNA fingerprint than PFGE.

As of February 16, 2018, 28 people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella I 4,[5],12:b:- have been reported from 20 states. A list of the states and the number of cases in each can be found on the Case Count Map page. WGS performed on isolates from ill people were closely relatedly genetically. This means that people in this outbreak are more likely to share a common source of infection.

Illnesses started on dates ranging from October 13, 2017 to January 30, 2018. Ill people range in age from 6 to 67 years, with a median age of 41. Sixteen people are male. Eleven hospitalizations have been reported. No deaths have been reported.

This outbreak can be illustrated with a chart showing the number of people who became ill each day. This chart is called an epidemic curve, or epi curve. Illnesses that occurred after January 23, 2018, might not yet be reported due to the time it takes between when a person becomes ill and when the illness is reported. This takes an average of 2 to 4 weeks. Please see the Timeline for Reporting Cases of Salmonella Infection for more details.

WGS analysis did not identify any predicted antimicrobial resistance in isolates from five ill people. Testing of outbreak isolates using standard antibiotic susceptibility testing methods is currently underway in CDC?s National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS) laboratory.

Investigation of the Outbreak
Epidemiologic evidence indicates that kratom is a likely source of this multistate outbreak. Kratom is a plant consumed for its stimulant effects and as an opioid substitute. Kratom is also known as Thang, Kakuam, Thom, Ketom, and Biak.

In interviews, ill people answered questions about the foods they ate and other exposures in the months before they became ill. Eight (73%) of 11 people interviewed reported consuming kratom in pills, powder, or tea. No common brands or suppliers of kratom have been identified at this time.

At this time, CDC recommends that people not consume kratom in any form. The investigation indicates that kratom products could be contaminated with Salmonella and could make people sick. CDC?s recommendation may change as more information becomes available. This investigation is ongoing and we will provide updates as needed.

cdc.gov/salmonella/kratom-02-18/index.html

Hopefully this hasn't affected any Bluelighters, yet.

Yeah but nobody but us cares.

It might get eventually disproven. But since nobody wants to hear it, it never gets in the news.

When was the last time you saw a major news story that said "turns out we were wrong and that report we did about the so called zombie drug didn't involve its use whatsoever"?

At best its mentioned as a minor correction in small print somewhere which nobody reads.

Fun little game to play, every time you see something in the news formed as a question, consider that the answer is no. That's how the news always lies. They pose it as a question. That way they can suggest something they know is untrue without lying.

Are kids getting involved in rainbow parties? No.
Is the president really an alien? No.
Is your phone giving you cancer? No.
Is this flesh eating drug coming to your neighborhood? No.

It's always no. :)

Last edited:
LOL Newsflash: We were wrong 50 years ago. It wasn't the LSD that killed those people. It was good old human stupidity. :)

Only a matter of time before greed or stupidity fucked it up for everyone.

I have a fresh supply of kratom from 3 differect states right now. If I get sick within the next couple of days, I'll be sure to say something. I too have worried that this is just some bullshit scare tactic. That would indeed be very fucked up.

I don't even believe this at all, and if somehow it is true then 28 cases out of all the Kratom sold in the U.S. is barely anything.

If it is true we'll be seeing a large spread of it in a short period I'd guess, but if we haven't heard of many more cases in the next few months I'm calling bullshit.

I think it's all another scare tactic and it's disgusting frankly.

I can't stand that Scott Gotlieb guy and I think he's as corrupt as it gets.

I've used several brands in the past few months with no issues.

I liked the metaphor that it's "a bazooka against a fly".

Seriously, Kratom is not a harmful substance and the FDA and DEA are just demonizing it.

History repeats itself over and over with the stupid fucking drug war.

Drug war czars say "now that weed is becoming legal lets just basically say the same types of things against other drugs we want demonized".

It's worked in the past, and as long as people can't think for themselves (and I truly think most can't) they'll believe whatever bullshit these people spew forth.

They think just because the FDA is a legit and certified organization that they are above corruption, but I really think they are being utterly corrupt about all this shit.

Bull Fucking Shit. Let’s see some interviews with the infected if this is really something to worry about

I had seen something on a board where a woman and her husband both were at the hospital with salmonella and he didn't even use kratom at all. So a few people are talking a little. She said they grilled her about the kratom. Crazy. I don't think salmonella jumped off the kratom into her husbands stomach. :)

I believe it.

Many people use Kratom. This is obviously limited to just a few cases. Probably just 1 vendor/company.

Just stay safe guys. You’ll probably be fine.

If you get sick get to the doctor.

They've already begun attacking the manufacturers and distributors in my locale....just learned that one of the brands I frequently buy got shut down...had heard a few weeks ago that some bogus "testing" was performed and came up "positive"- although I, admittedly, and unfortunately, consume ungodly amounts, I never wound up with Salmonella, or any kind of poisoning for that matter... Wonderful, our government....

-PA

Given the number of kratom users in the USA, 28 cases of salmonella seems like a rather small outbreak, likely confined to one vendor.

I seriously doubt this is "just scaremongering" or an effort to stop people from taking kratom; it's what the CDC/FDA are meant to be doing. A salmonella outbreak from poorly processed salad greens would be handled no differently.

The fact of the matter is that any biological sample can have bacterial/fiungal growth or viruses present. Better controls are probably needed to avoid a repeat of this outbreak. (inspection of kratom lots, irradiation treatment, etc).

Given the number of kratom users in the USA, 28 cases of salmonella seems like a rather small outbreak, likely confined to one vendor.

I seriously doubt this is "just scaremongering" or an effort to stop people from taking kratom; it's what the CDC/FDA are meant to be doing. A salmonella outbreak from poorly processed salad greens would be handled no differently.

The fact of the matter is that any biological sample can have bacterial/fiungal growth or viruses present. Better controls are probably needed to avoid a repeat of this outbreak. (inspection of kratom lots, irradiation treatment, etc).

Exactly what I believe.

Might well be true of the cdc and fda. But I wouldn't expect the media or politicians to be quite so responsible.

Guys, please see my post in the Kratom Megathread and PLEASE DONATE MONEY TO THE AKA LIKE I DID because the FDA and DEA are using this scare as further cause to try to ban Kratom and the AKA is having trouble meeting it's budget deadline and if they don't meet it it will be even more fuel for the FDA and DEA to ban Kratom!!!

I am worried about this because I love Kratom so much and if we don't all donate we don't stand a chance!!

PLEASE PLEASE DONATE BY GOING TO THE AKA WEBSITE!!!

They'll eventually succeed in banning it. They have unlimited resources and a moral bent against it. I hate it but that's how it is.

How many petition campaigns have been run so far? How many experts have come forward saying kratom is needed as medicine?

They'll just keep pushing until they win. It's no different than when their new laws got shot down and a month later they re-introduce the bill and it passes. The first fail is for big pharma and others to find out who the dissenters are so they can be properly paid off.

They'll eventually succeed in banning it. They have unlimited resources and a moral bent against it. I hate it but that's how it is.

How many petition campaigns have been run so far? How many experts have come forward saying kratom is needed as medicine?

They'll just keep pushing until they win. It's no different than when their new laws got shot down and a month later they re-introduce the bill and it passes. The first fail is for big pharma and others to find out who the dissenters are so they can be properly paid off.

I wish it weren't true but I'm afraid it probably is.

It might be time to stock up...

But then there's a part of me that has this one hope:

Big pharma MUST want to patent it and make their own formula for prescription right?

I mean it's too good an opportunity to pass up?

So IF they do, then it will eventually become available on the streets anyway just like other prescription opioids, and we'll still have access to it...albeit illegally.

In fact, I bet more people would use it than ever.

Who thinks that this scenario could play out?

And also, if you guys had to guess, how long do you think it will actually be before it is banned nationwide?

They'll eventually succeed in banning it.

If this were 1985 I would agree. It would be labeled narcotic and that is that. However over time and having congressman and senators writing letters to leave it and study it helped to back off. I understand a few senators had family members that utilized kratom.

And then there is the AKA. Mycophile is correct. We should donate. Look at the NRA. Kids are getting killed and they won't budge. So the AKA is a good force that has momentum. Momentum is what we want. Kratom could very well just stay herbal like kava. Kava almost got banned years ago with the liver scares but was backed off. I even think the salmonella issue is flushing out the leaf is not deadly if that is all they got. Banning it outright is too obnoxious now.

I agree with Mycophile. I use to skip Mycophile posts. You use to make kratom look scary. :) But I read them again ever since you stopped kratom and came back and said it was easier than you thought. So I agree and glad I read your posts again. Donating the AKA is a good thing to do. So far we are winning this using a little money and momentum.

Last edited: