• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Afraid of losing consciousness

A2352926

Greenlighter
I think i have ocd. Recentlt, I can't help observing my sleep. As I fall asleep, I somehow jolt myself back as if afraid of losing consciousness. It's very frustrating. I would rather be o n sleep aid long term than deal with it. Wonder if anyone suffer from this. Is there any sleep aid you use?

Doxylamine would be my first go to. I've also used Seroquel but I would only use that sporadically because you'll likely feel like a zombie the next day.

Do you have the same problem? Do you use sleep aid long term? How to avoid tolerance. Is doxylamine strong?

Yeah I suffer from insomnia sometimes. I don't use anything long term tho. As far as if doxylamine (which is just the generic name for Unisom) is strong, I guess it really just depends on how much you take. The good thing about it that I've found is it doesn't make me groggy the next day.

I have been an insomniac for long as I can remember. My doctor prescribes me two sedating antidepressants, Remeron to fall asleep and doxepin to stay asleep. I would not use benzodiazepines for any length of time due to tolerance/addiction issues.

You may benefit from practicing mindfulness meditation. It takes some time to become proficient, but you will jolt awake less often once proficient. A lot of the anxiety surrounding losing consciousness may decrease too.

Small doses of melatonin should be more than sufficient to deal with this, buyable from any pharmacy. Ask for advice there on how to take it. It sounds like you're suffering from a hypnic jerk, very common in healthy people. That'd be my first port of call after the usual meditation, relaxation stuff. If problem persists, that's when to see your GP.

if you go straight to a GP, they may prescribe any number of things. It seems in vogue to try people on small doses (often 10mg or as much as 50mg) of SNRIs at the moment like mirtazapine, but I'd avoid that unless absolutely necessary. There's no recreational benefit to those and they can be addictive if used in the longer term even at small doses.

It can also be an issue of trust for people that hate feeling out of control. When you allow yourself to drift into sleep is is a ceding of control in a way.

I also do not like the feeling that you get while on the verge of sleep.