• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Help me With my Polypharmacy?

Scabby McSnatch

Greenlighter
I have various mental health conditions (severe enough to have been sectioned twice) as well as some physical health problems. I also have a bit of an addiction to prescription drugs and admittedly have lied or grossly exaggerated to doctors to obtain certain meds at times.
I was an alcoholic for 7 years but am currently 20 months sober

I'm on quite a few psychoactive meds that all seem to interact and I just don't even know where to begin finding out the dangerous it is to mix them. I am very sedated and spacey mostQdays and will sometimes nod off: I have small, circular burns on my upper chest from passing out with a lit cigarette in my mouth. I also have extremely poor concentration and short-term memory. For example, I was watching a stand up DVD last night and didn't laugh once because literally by the time the comedian told the punch line (Jimmy Carr, does a lot of one-liners) I had completely forgotten what was said before the punchline.

Any help, information or advice with my meds would be greatly appreciated.

I take (on average):

Sertraline/Zoloft 50mg - two in the morning
Sertraline 100mg - three in the morning
Quetiapine/ 150mg - I take up to six a day
Quetiapine 300mg - I take three times a day
Chlorpromazine 50mg - three, three times per day
Trazodone 50mg - two in morning, two in afternoon, two in evening, six at night
Tramadol 50mg - I take anywhere from 6 to 22
Dextromethorphan/DXM - tend to swig from bottle throughout day, normally 375-550mg in 24 hours
Cyclizine 10mg - usually 12-16 a day
Bisoprolol 5mg - up to 4 per day
Metoclopromide 10mg - two, three times a day
Levitiracetam 1000mg - three times a day
Clonazepam 0.5mg - as needed
Paracetamol (500mg) with Codeine (12.8mg) - 4 to 16 per day
Omeprazole 20mg - one, in the morning
Celecoxib/Celebrex 100ng - two, twice a day
Diphenhydramine 50mg - two, four times a day

Last edited:
When did this start happening? How much of that is actually prescribed as I know your doctor isn't scripting the DXM?

I would consider the tramadol being the source of the nod having opioid action and the clonazopam is likely potentiating the effect. Really though you have such a complex list of medications it's not safe for anyone to recommend and/or approve of changes in your medication. Whatever anyone tells you in this thread do not take any action changing your treatment without taking to your prescribing doctor first. Honestly this is a problem you should discuss with them.

Yes, the DXM and the Diphenhydramine I buy OTC. The rest I am prescribed, although at lower doses than I actually take.
Honestly, I've become very psychologically dependent on my meds so I never tell my doctor anything negative about the med regime in case he stops some of them.

I dont know if its a combination that can cause OD (there's only moderate opiate doses, low benzo doses and no barbiturates)

I'm in the UK, should I go to see a private doctor for second opinion, or to see what he'd change?

EDIT: It happened over about 6 years.
I have multiple health issues: Borderline Personality disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Bulimia, fractured spine, sciatica, pancreatitis. So with each new diagnoses I was put on more meds. I'd really never taken anything other than Aspirin and antibiotics when I first went to the doctor about the severity of the depression and anxiety. He prescribed me Sertraline and Diazepam and I was like "HOLY SHIT, THESE THINGS A FREAKIN' MIRACLES". So I was always happy to try new or additional meds my GP suggested because my initial experience had been so positive.

I think within a few days of some medications (Oxy and Xanax mostly) I started feeling the need to take more of them and take them more frequently

Also, I was an alcoholic for 7 years (hence the pancreatitis) and I've really upped my pill use since I got sober a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I have various mental health conditions (severe enough to have been sectioned twice) as well as some physical health problems. I also have a bit of an addiction to prescription drugs and admittedly have lied or grossly exaggerated to doctors to obtain certain meds at times.
I was an alcoholic for 7 years but am currently 20 months sober

I'm on quite a few psychoactive meds that all seem to interact and I just don't even know where to begin finding out the dangerous it is to mix them. I am very sedated and spacey mostQdays and will sometimes nod off: I have small, circular burns on my upper chest from passing out with a lit cigarette in my mouth. I also have extremely poor concentration and short-term memory. For example, I was watching a stand up DVD last night and didn't laugh once because literally by the time the comedian told the punch line (Jimmy Carr, does a lot of one-liners) I had completely forgotten what was said before the punchline.

Any help, information or advice with my meds would be greatly appreciated.

I take (on average):

Sertraline/Zoloft 50mg - two in the morning
Sertraline 100mg - three in the morning
Quetiapine/ 150mg - I take up to six a day
Quetiapine 300mg - I take three times a day
Chlorpromazine 50mg - three, three times per day
Trazodone 50mg - two in morning, two in afternoon, two in evening, six at night
Tramadol 50mg - I take anywhere from 6 to 22
Dextromethorphan/DXM - tend to swig from bottle throughout day, normally 375-550mg in 24 hours
Cyclizine 10mg - usually 12-16 a day
Metoclopromide 10mg - two, three times a day
Levitiracetam 1000mg - three times a day
Clonazepam 0.5mg - as needed
Paracetamol (500mg) with Codeine (12.8mg) - 4 to 16 per day
Omeprazole 20mg - one, in the morning
Celecoxib/Celebrex 100ng - two, twice a day
Diphenhydramine 50mg - two, four times a day

This needs a thorough review by a doctor and as much as I feel you with regards to not wanting to lose medicines that you rely on, the more honest you are about your actual intake the more effective your health care providers will be. If you cannot drop the unprescribed drugs without difficulty, for starters at least, perhaps indicates a substance dependence issue which if addressed may not be the end of the world in so far as it appears now... At the end of the day you have stated that you were prescribed some of these drugs for very good reasons and some for less so.... separating one from the other would be a start and as you have been chronically ill and have been alcohol dependent in the past should mean that this gets looked at from your very best interests and not leave you pissing in the wind, with no other choice but to return to drinking.

The fact that you are accidentally injuring yourself is not good - burning yourself is one thing but what if the cigarette starts a fire?

Honestly Lorne I've seen it before.... Heavyset strong-minded male who actually was given 15, 30, & 60 mg morphines as well as Klonopins and probably about 5-6 other meds on top of the bottle of vodka a day about. No joke the doctors knew about it too... He told me he would pretty much threaten them into it because he pushed himself so hard by the time he was at his appointment he was pretty much like, "you better get me my meds before I smash your head into the table."

I also do not condone this behavior and anyone who attempted to copy it to get medications will likely get arrested or locked in a psych ward. Do not take that person's situation as advice

^ Yes

Crazy stuff man

That list should also not be copied-and WTF would you want to take ~700mg of trazodone per day? I am sorry, this list makes me giggle was bit- I mean, 22 Tramadol per day along with half of those other meds could kill you, and would practically guarantee a seizure. And then 1.7 grams of seroquel, and up to 7 or grams of apap? per day?

Sorry am calling bullshit; this is a lethal death cocktail-and chugging down on top of it, wow, just wow

Your meds look like at those doses your trying to knockout a raging bull. Idek what to say. At very minimum that is alot of anticholinergics.

I'm going to just go the easy route and assume this is all a coded message for shadowy people somewhere. A threat, with that many D2 antagonists. Can't be trolling, because you'd have no ability to experience joy from it.

And people can talk about tolerance to consume beyond-lethal amounts of all kinds of things, but that dose of quetiapine is 1800mg. The max daily for straight-up pyschotic mania is 800mg. That's before you get going on the morning Thorazine. Even if it was possible to not die, when adding the trazadone and metoclopramide, it's utterly unbelievable that a person would abuse their anti-psych meds. Half the homeless population would be stabilized.

Of course you didn't laugh at the TV: besides that guy sounding unfunny, you'd have long ago lost all will to do anything but drool, and that's on the first two meds. 200mg sertraline is max for any indication, 400mg/day means you'll never ejaculate again. Not that you'd know after you ideated yourself to death with suicide by serotonin syndrome.

There's plenty to choose from, but, really, that's ~10 downers, several very potent, and someone will argue tramadol is an upper, but no. Not a single upper, not even a cigarette. Which as a bonus means you can't be schizophrenic.

^ LMFAO

Not even a Kamel Red? Well someone that hardcore would need a straight up Camel Classic Non-Filter

That is also a message for the shadow people

NOOB SAIBOT

Who are the shadow people? Oh wait there is one in our bedroom.

No wonder you're spacey and sedated, you're on enough sedatives to kill Elvis.

400mg sertraline
1800mg quetiapine
450mg chlorpromazine
600mg trazodone
300 - 1100mg tramadol
550mg DXM
160mg cyclizine
50 - 200mg codeine
clonazepam "as needed"
400mg diphenhydramine

all that EVERY DAY.... that's 657 grams of quetiapine a year.

Any one of those drugs alone would probably be enough to make you dopey but 10 whole sedatives all at doses beyond any sort of responsible level... holy shit. Many of these could be discontinued or heavily reduced, after all I don't see why you need to take two separate opioids, two separate antihistamines (ignoring the other drugs that also have antihistaminergic side effects)...

I'm surprised you have the ability to write a coherent post with all that you're on, honestly.

Last edited:
When I said heavyset I was referring to someone else.

Also Lorne he said he's not drinking anymore

^ Yep, missed that-it all makes sense now ;)

Seriously, though, I just don’t buy it. It’s probably NOT IMPOSSIBLE for a person to take that much, but, a 95 pounder would need, in theory a liver, and kidneys, and overall metabolism (also GI tract) in the top percentile, like 0.1% or something- and it would have to have been gradual, and, well they would have to have God on their side to survive much less function and talk about it in a forum(though jokes aside,!’if you are real OP, and not a shadow person C, talk about it)

Not everything I say is nonsense or conjecture 1thisnus cocktail is lethal multiple times-You could literally kill at least 2 people with that ALLEGED one day supply /he isn’t even on cyrpoheptadine it reverse the guaranteed serotonin syndrome-

I could be Wrong, I know that, this just isn’t something I could take seriously because I don’t know if a scenario where you would take such extreme doses of drugs that are not even recreational, much less safe or practical, and honestly downright dangerous

What Would? happen if you took 22 Tramadol m, along with, hold on , 400mg if Zoloft, and of course nearly two grams of Seroquel, and lets top it off with the dangerous-if-chronic metoclopramide- You couldn’t pay me to that; serotonin, movement disorders, anti-cholingergic syndrome, Parkinsonism, just to be clear, being a spaced out zombie-Oh and the 2D enzymes would be too busy dealing with the various psych meds to convert poor Tramadol into it’s opioid Mu agonist metabolite, DMT(M1) so that would increase the weird fucking effects that it has-though at 1 gram, who really knows? Half that has a good chance of casing a seizure, and the 3 grams of, whatcha call it, um, keppra, yeah, that wouldn’t stop this freight train-actually it might make things worse- and forget alcohol, when you are downing close to half a gram of DXM-Why not? It’s just cough syrup, and you can’t find any ither disaccositavies
Anuway Agee w/ Scrofula-Gotta go for now!

I think someone earlier said something like this but shit, I'd be half out of my freaking mind if I was on a fraction of those meds! I would be a babbling idiot, no doubt. This has to be fake news, right?

We can only hope it's fake. Even though he said he is taking more than the prescribed doses, what crazy doctor would prescribe all of those to one person and expect them to function?