• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xannax seems to wake me up

silentlysleeping

Greenlighter
when I was younger I had bad anxiety, severe anxiety and insomnia aswell.
started off going through everything they will prescribe first, nothing worked. months of switching and testing and switching ect.
Xannax was the only one that actually helped my anxiety, to were it would almost completely stop attacks. The only problem is ill stay awake longer when I take it. Tried taking multiple (I know this is in advised but in weeks of barely sleeping I was going crazy so I tried anything) DR wont prescribe anything for sleeping aswell, says to take multiple forms of roots or unisom ect.

Another weird side effect from Xannax tho is I almost seem more energized. around 8 mg is when I can sleep. but even then ill wake up around 6 hours in even in a pitchblack room. (so even if I fell asleep late the sun wont wake me up) I am just confused... ive heard of people having weird side effects to certain drugs. just the weirdest part is it actually helps my anxiety..

I am unsure what really I need from this post. just kinda answers I guess, advice aswell.

ALSO IF ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCES THESE SYMPTOMS OR HAS ANSWERS THAT WOULD HELP SO MUCH.

thanks guys, hope you like the ironic name. - Silently sleeping

Cut on time, however they do that to me especially now; it means you have a severe condition most likely, and they make you “normal” and so functioning and at times stimulated

Be careful; 7-8mg is a lot of alprazolam, and wd is lethal mm

Giod luck and can feel ya/for you

-Lorne

6 hours? fuck..I wish I could sleep for 6 hours. Try waking up every hour every single night covered in sweat and having the most horrible nightmares about real events that are so terrifying I couldn't even describe them...

id do anythijng to sleep for 6 hoiurs....it's 2am here and I've just woken up (again) and come on here to clear my mind lol

Cut on time, however they do that to me especially now; it means you have a severe condition most likely, and they make you ?normal? and so functioning and at times stimulated

Be careful; 7-8mg is a lot of alprazolam, and wd is lethal mm

Giod luck and can feel ya/for you

-Lorne

Thanks for the quick response. And I appreciate the advice, but I don't take that much all the time. ive just experienced it and now know that much will make me sleep. So I only take it in extreme cases. (I try to avoid this as much as possible)
but that being said, I have experimented with the thought that you were right. I have a severe condition which makes certain side effects most people get almost seem to be the opposite. And after hours of research and consulting with a few docters I have been led in circles. so I tried to take 16mgs.

but gradually. 4mg until I felt tired after waiting an hour in between, I slept better then I have in years (please take in mind this was years ago, and I wont do this again as it is not worth the internal damage from consuming so much and it was for trying to figure out wtf is wrong with me and I guess to what extint.) anyways, I woke up probably sleeping 8-10 hours. and I felt fine, no wd ( I even avoided taking any for almost a week to see if I would experience WD) and I experienced almost none. just the usual extreme anxiety/no sleep.

Ive heard 12mgs before bed will make you not wake up. so please believe me, I will not be doing this again. it just confuses me extremely how not only did I sleep great I felt fine the next day.

this was also I time when I was much younger. I don't abuse the drug now at all. I just want to know what this could possibly be. because id like to be able to continue with the only medicine that will calm me. just a shitty side effect.. Maybe I just needa find a docter who specializes in bizarre anxiety / insomnia cases.

Problem is I don't want anything stronger... I don't wanna be a zombie. I can function and work fine on xan just after working all week with no sleep sometimes ill be agitated (which I'm sure anyone would be) but I don't notice any mood swing. just me being angry at myself for not sleeping really.

I'm sorry brotha. when I don't take access amounts that is similar to what I will experience nightly.. Idk if u tried any of these but they work for some people sadly none for me. but the obvious (over counter roots and sleeping meds, working out, staying hydrated and eating healthy can help make your body more exhausted at night. I do most of these and sstill haven't seen results from them but worth trying for anyone I assume. just may not help people who actually experience real insomnia.

Also I don't wanna dig too deep but if its ptsd related maybe you will ave a better chance getting prescribed sleeping meds that will knock you out for a solid night.

I'm sorry brotha. when I don't take access amounts that is similar to what I will experience nightly.. Idk if u tried any of these but they work for some people sadly none for me. but the obvious (over counter roots and sleeping meds, working out, staying hydrated and eating healthy can help make your body more exhausted at night. I do most of these and sstill haven't seen results from them but worth trying for anyone I assume. just may not help people who actually experience real insomnia.

Also I don't wanna dig too deep but if its ptsd related maybe you will ave a better chance getting prescribed sleeping meds that will knock you out for a solid night.

this is a response to backfromthebrink

this is a response to backfromthebrink

Thank you man...

Ive tried lots of things but the problems I've found is that anything that actuslly does make me sleep makes the nightmares worse and makes it hard to get up again in the morning...(it's 3:25 now and on schedule I've woken up from another nightmare....

But it's OK.i had worse.

I reallky hope you find a solution bro ...I feel you not being able to
sleep properly... it's hard man

Have you tried a different benzodiazepine? paradoxical reactions are known to benzos, and having one that happens sometimes to me too if I take anything that ends up producing a significant quantity of oxazepam, or oxazepam itself. I don't use diazepam, temazepam and several others for that reason, they work at the time then there is a delayed action point where taking more would cause more or less the opposite of what I wanted to do with it to happen.

I can however, tolerate nitrazepam, loprazolam and various RC benzos just fine, to the extent that I accidentally got left with a benzo script giving me a couple of nitrazepam pills a day, enough for every day if I were going to use them that way and pretty stupid enough to do it, to take at least 10mg 1-2x daily. They got accidentally put on infinite repeat after the purpose for their being scripted went away, but I find I can take highish (70-100mg) doses of nitrazepam and be fine, but
if I did that with diazepam, and took the same weight, I'd end up feeling pretty miserable at best. Now I just use them at high, but intermittent dosages, PRN, no more than a couple of times a week. Not about to say anything to the doctors though, about their oversight because it would just end up taken away again and instead of getting them automatically, the moment I DID need, genuinely need, a PRN dose of a benzo for a couple of days there is no way in hell the doctors aren't prejudiced enough against their use full stop, to just tell me to go to hell.

^ It seems more nitrobenzos are your thing, because unless you are downing heavy doses, Valium mostly produces nordazepam, and not enough oxazepam(it takes 15-20mg Temazepam and at least as much oxazepam to equal roughly 10mg Dzp, and the same amount of nordazepam)

And temeazepam is known for not accumulating

It could be the class giving you trouble, as it takes about ~2 hours for temazepam to peak, though less for valium(it's metabolites take longer, namely nordaZepam of course, it is metabolized so slowly, so are it's metabolites gradually formed)

It would take multiple large doses to get say 20-30mg oxazepam, and it's slow acting on it's own-temazepam is mainly glucorinzed, no phase 1 metabolism that know of

Just saying, it seems you respond better to Nitrobenzodiazepines- ever taken xanax (tribenzo) or clonazepam(the most potent , especially nitrobenzo

^ It seems more nitrobenzos are your thing, because unless you are downing heavy doses, Valium mostly produces nordazepam, and not enough oxazepam(it takes 15-20mg Temazepam and at least as much oxazepam to equal roughly 10mg Dzp, and the same amount of nordazepam)

It could be the class giving you trouble, as it takes about ~2 hours for temazepam to peak, though less for valium(it's metabolites take longer, namely nordaZepam of course, it is metabolized so slowly, so are it's metabolites gradually formed)

It would take multiple large doses to get say 20-30mg oxazepam, and it's slow acting on it's own-temazepam is mainly glucorinzed, no phase 1 metabolism that know of

Just saying, it seems you respond better to Nitrobenzodiazepines- ever taken xanax (tribenzo) or clonazepam(the most potent , especially nitrobenzo

Diazepam is pretty long acting though isn't it? :) :) :)

when I was younger I had bad anxiety, severe anxiety and insomnia aswell.
started off going through everything they will prescribe first, nothing worked. months of switching and testing and switching ect.
Xannax was the only one that actually helped my anxiety, to were it would almost completely stop attacks. The only problem is ill stay awake longer when I take it. Tried taking multiple (I know this is in advised but in weeks of barely sleeping I was going crazy so I tried anything) DR wont prescribe anything for sleeping aswell, says to take multiple forms of roots or unisom ect.

Another weird side effect from Xannax tho is I almost seem more energized. around 8 mg is when I can sleep. but even then ill wake up around 6 hours in even in a pitchblack room. (so even if I fell asleep late the sun wont wake me up) I am just confused... ive heard of people having weird side effects to certain drugs. just the weirdest part is it actually helps my anxiety..

I am unsure what really I need from this post. just kinda answers I guess, advice aswell.

ALSO IF ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCES THESE SYMPTOMS OR HAS ANSWERS THAT WOULD HELP SO MUCH.

thanks guys, hope you like the ironic name. - Silently sleeping

Yip, happens to me as well. Weird innit? I'd love answers too.

When I take say 2mg xanax (numerous sources over the course of a decade+), I get a very active, energised "let's do something!" state. It's very strange and I've only ever known one other person to react like this (and it's not quite as pronounced on him) - pretty much everyone else a 2mg bar will almost knock out. I don't act 'drunk' or stumble about or slur. I just have a very nice, energised, active high. It's stimulating, but not in the classical sense, at all.

It actually happens to me on every single benzodiazepine I've ever tried; xanax, etizolam, clonazapam., diazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam, blah blah blah, doesn't matter. All of them seem to do it - although xanax is by far the most effective, and diazepam the least. Diazepam still has the effect, but it's just not quite as powerful (or good, you could say) and I feel a tiny bit slower sometimes and need a coffee to balance it out.

It means that even before I had a tolerance, I could take ridiculous amounts of benzos, because I wouldn't sleep, or even really badly black out. I mean I do, but not in the way I see people on here do; I just become very chatty and do fun stuff, then don't remember as well. I've taken them for sleeping before and just ended up staying up for hours doing something completely unexpected and having the time of my life. In fact, this is how I discovered xanax/the effect - I took a 2mg bar for my first time on an alcohol hangover and went back to bed, then twenty minutes later found myself blasting liquid d&b at 6am with the sun pouring in through the window and cleaning the entire flat/doing everything I'd been putting off, going on my decks and having the absolute time of my life.

Interestingly, I can still use them for putting me to sleep if I'm on stimulants, but I can also just take them for a nice synergy and I won't feel tired or anything.

I'd absolutely love to know what is different on a neurological level for me. I do have ADHD (non-hyperactive) and motivational issues, and xanax for me has proven to be the perfect cure - if only it weren't for the slight cognitive decline and not remembering. It just makes me do stuff, and love it.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different benzodiazepine? paradoxical reactions are known to benzos, and having one that happens sometimes to me too if I take anything that ends up producing a significant quantity of oxazepam, or oxazepam itself. I don't use diazepam, temazepam and several others for that reason, they work at the time then there is a delayed action point where taking more would cause more or less the opposite of what I wanted to do with it to happen.

I can however, tolerate nitrazepam, loprazolam and various RC benzos just fine, to the extent that I accidentally got left with a benzo script giving me a couple of nitrazepam pills a day, enough for every day if I were going to use them that way and pretty stupid enough to do it, to take at least 10mg 1-2x daily. They got accidentally put on infinite repeat after the purpose for their being scripted went away, but I find I can take highish (70-100mg) doses of nitrazepam and be fine, but
if I did that with diazepam, and took the same weight, I'd end up feeling pretty miserable at best. Now I just use them at high, but intermittent dosages, PRN, no more than a couple of times a week. Not about to say anything to the doctors though, about their oversight because it would just end up taken away again and instead of getting them automatically, the moment I DID need, genuinely need, a PRN dose of a benzo for a couple of days there is no way in hell the doctors aren't prejudiced enough against their use full stop, to just tell me to go to hell.

Dammit.. so basically no docters will help someone with a real problem XD FML

is this to original poster? because if so I have tried xannax and that is the one that seems to keep me up the most. THO another thing to mention is all the prescripitions I was prescribed before also kept me up. (meaning sleeping about 8 hours in 48 hours) Some even made me eat less.

Yip, happens to me as well. Weird innit? I'd love answers too.

When I take say 2mg xanax (numerous sources over the course of a decade+), I get a very active, energised "let's do something!" state. It's very strange and I've only ever known one other person to react like this (and it's not quite as pronounced on him) - pretty much everyone else a 2mg bar will almost knock out. I don't act 'drunk' or stumble about or slur. I just have a very nice, energised, active high. It's stimulating, but not in the classical sense, at all.

It actually happens to me on every single benzodiazepine I've ever tried; xanax, etizolam, clonazapam., diazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam, blah blah blah, doesn't matter. All of them seem to do it - although xanax is by far the most effective, and diazepam the least. Diazepam still has the effect, but it's just not quite as powerful (or good, you could say) and I feel a tiny bit slower sometimes and need a coffee to balance it out.

It means that even before I had a tolerance, I could take ridiculous amounts of benzos, because I wouldn't sleep, or even really badly black out. I mean I do, but not in the way I see people on here do; I just become very chatty and do fun stuff, then don't remember as well. I've taken them for sleeping before and just ended up staying up for hours doing something completely unexpected and having the time of my life. In fact, this is how I discovered xanax/the effect - I took a 2mg bar for my first time on an alcohol hangover and went back to bed, then twenty minutes later found myself blasting liquid d&b at 6am with the sun pouring in through the window and cleaning the entire flat/doing everything I'd been putting off, going on my decks and having the absolute time of my life.

Interestingly, I can still use them for putting me to sleep if I'm on stimulants, but I can also just take them for a nice synergy and I won't feel tired or anything.

I'd absolutely love to know what is different on a neurological level for me. I do have ADHD (non-hyperactive) and motivational issues, and xanax for me has proven to be the perfect cure - if only it weren't for the slight cognitive decline and not remembering. It just makes me do stuff, and love it.

Thank God I am not alone... as I mentioned in a reply earlier, all the drugs and on you named had the same effect on me. and when id say something about it theyd just keep switching.. to get the same result. heck some even made my anxiety worse. but Xannax is the only one that helps my anxiety, just the curse behind it of almost never sleeping. and sadly, I understand what u mean. when taking benzos I can live with minimal sleep and be very active and happy though out the day/night

Its just starting to really worry me. because I know I need sleep... when I was younger sometimes I wouldn't sleep days at a time, before all the drugs. thought it was a super power but now as I am older I realize the health dangers...

so now that even tho on benzos I will lay down and struggle to get a few hours sometimes if I'm lucky a little more. ill just wake up and feel a little groggy.. but once I take even just 1 mg ill be back to energized..

LASTLY - its also a weird thing that when I am on uppers, not to name any but honestly mostly all, benzos will calm me down enough and then ill be able to fall asleep 1-2 hours in

we should find someone who studys this... or see if there is a underlining meaning

Thank God I am not alone... as I mentioned in a reply earlier, all the drugs and on you named had the same effect on me. and when id say something about it theyd just keep switching.. to get the same result. heck some even made my anxiety worse. but Xannax is the only one that helps my anxiety, just the curse behind it of almost never sleeping. and sadly, I understand what u mean. when taking benzos I can live with minimal sleep and be very active and happy though out the day/night

Its just starting to really worry me. because I know I need sleep... when I was younger sometimes I wouldn't sleep days at a time, before all the drugs. thought it was a super power but now as I am older I realize the health dangers...

so now that even tho on benzos I will lay down and struggle to get a few hours sometimes if I'm lucky a little more. ill just wake up and feel a little groggy.. but once I take even just 1 mg ill be back to energized..

LASTLY - its also a weird thing that when I am on uppers, not to name any but honestly mostly all, benzos will calm me down enough and then ill be able to fall asleep 1-2 hours in

we should find someone who studys this... or see if there is a underlining meaning

I don't get major sleep issues from this - a few hours after dosing/after the effects wear off and I'm quite fine with sleep. Do you have issues falling asleep generally? Maybe that's the difference there. I try to really keep my sleep cycle regular these days - in bed before midnight, and sleeping for 8-9 hours, then no naps during the day. Maybe melatonin could help too, or just dosing earlier?

Yes it would be very interesting to know what kind of neurological quirk can cause somebody to have a paradoxical effect to a very powerful sedative. Imagine if xanax caused this reaction in everyone? I think it would be way more desirable/widespread (and probanly problematic) than it already is.

It's just such a creative, interesting, introspective and motivating high for me. It is very odd. It also makes it quite dangerous for me; I love it a little too much.

Xanax is good at putting me down but has the worst rebound effects as my eyes seem to open the instance it wears off.