• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do bioavailability different between different ROA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien47

Bluelighter
Why does bioavailability differ between different ROA

Per the usual, I get a little high, and then I think about stuff and come across questions that peak my interest and after a failed google search I come here for the answer. Now this may be a stupid question, I don?t think it is but why is it that say ocycodone has a lower a absorption, or bioavailability, when snorted then when swallowed or plugged. Like if ocycodone is water soluble and so can completely absorb through the nasal cavity why is the BA lower? Does it have something to do with like the way it?s metabolized or something else?

Last edited:
The liver takes a cut of many drugs during a process called first pass metabolism. Lets just say 30% for the hell of it. So if you swallow a tablet you only get 70% of the drug. This is why people say to shove a drug up your ass. By doing so you bypass your liver.

also hydrogen bonding, polarirty of a drug, and ph of stomach play a major role

Oxycodone’s BA is about the same regardless of route; it is 5-75% in average; nasal may actually be a tad higher, one interesting study found a slightly higher BA% for OxyContin tablets crushed and snorted, vs swallowing mm

Though yes, it is as the above poster said- first pass metabolism, both pre-hepatic extraction and first pass through the liver can wipe some drugs out

And it also has to do with solubility; not just water solubility, though probably more so lipohillicity

Lipophillic drugs tend to be rapidly absorbed P.O. and are better with other ROA’s also like plugging for sublingual for instance, which is why practically water insoluble medications like many Benzodiazepines (namely Lorazepam) are well absorbed SL, due to lipophillicity(alprazolam would be a better example, except it actually has a faster onset by mouth)
Anyway there are too many variables, though if a more specific question, feel free to ask or research-also posts touch on the subject to an extent- and no such thing as a stupid question ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn?t looking for a 100% answer to my question sense it did seem like there were a lot of factors but what u guys have supplied me answered enough of my question so thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.