• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Can you taper off of heroin enough to not go through withdrawals

instantfocal

Greenlighter
First off I've read a few threads on bluelight and have seen many people post that it is "impossible" to taper off H because you'll just blow through your stash. I personally have more self control than that, so please refrain from any advice sticking to that kind of thinking.

I have been snorting heroin off and on for the past 6 months or so. I've been through withdrawals a couple times and have done suboxone maintenance, and have also tried kratom to help with WD symptoms. For the past month, I've been toying with trying to find a certain amount I can use maybe once or twice a month recreationally, but the quality of the H i get is insanely high. It's referred to as "magic white". I first tried 2 grams recreationally, but went through WD from that. A week later I tried 1 gram, and didn't go through withdrawal. I waited a week again and tried 1 gram and did go through WD. I might not of let enough time pass by before going at it again. Just for reference here, half a gram last 3 days unless you have a high tolerance, and even at my highest tolerance (using every day for 3 months when i first tried it) a half gram last at least a day.

So, now I'm experimenting with trying to taper off with 1.5 grams. I used most of the first gram the way i typically do (snorting a line 5-7 times a day). Towards the end of my first gram I was snorting 2-3 lines a day. Now I'm on my last half gram and am snorting 1-2 times a day, about to go down to just 1 time a day, and decrease the size of the line each time. Will this curb going into WD's? I also have 10 norcos that I thought might help after I run out.

Like I said.. this H is strong af. I've never had anything near this strength, and I'm beginning to think no matter what I do, if I try any amount for more than a day I'm gonna go through WD's. So does anyone think tapering like I am will help? Or adding the norcos help? Thanks for any help I can get here.

First off I've read a few threads on bluelight and have seen many people post that it is "impossible" to taper off H because you'll just blow through your stash. I personally have more self control than that, so please refrain from any advice sticking to that kind of thinking.

I have been snorting heroin off and on for the past 6 months or so. I've been through withdrawals a couple times and have done suboxone maintenance, and have also tried kratom to help with WD symptoms. For the past month, I've been toying with trying to find a certain amount I can use maybe once or twice a month recreationally, but the quality of the H i get is insanely high. It's referred to as "magic white". I first tried 2 grams recreationally, but went through WD from that. A week later I tried 1 gram, and didn't go through withdrawal. I waited a week again and tried 1 gram and did go through WD. I might not of let enough time pass by before going at it again. Just for reference here, half a gram last 3 days unless you have a high tolerance, and even at my highest tolerance (using every day for 3 months when i first tried it) a half gram last at least a day.

So, now I'm experimenting with trying to taper off with 1.5 grams. I used most of the first gram the way i typically do (snorting a line 5-7 times a day). Towards the end of my first gram I was snorting 2-3 lines a day. Now I'm on my last half gram and am snorting 1-2 times a day, about to go down to just 1 time a day, and decrease the size of the line each time. Will this curb going into WD's? I also have 10 norcos that I thought might help after I run out.

Like I said.. this H is strong af. I've never had anything near this strength, and I'm beginning to think no matter what I do, if I try any amount for more than a day I'm gonna go through WD's. So does anyone think tapering like I am will help? Or adding the norcos help? Thanks for any help I can get here.

You can in theory taper effectively from just about any opioid...it's just a question of mathematics and using a progressively smaller and smaller amount over time..

The problem with heroin is that its so difficult for people to have the will power to stick to the taper due to it being so habbit forming and inherently addictive in the first place....plus the short half life complicates things even more...

Everyone thinks they have the will power to taper heroin and maybe you do, but it's very rare...after all, if will power was no problem then you probably wouldn't be in the position if being addicted to it in the first place..(no offence meant there...just telling it how it is)

Best of luck and I hope you do it...but there is a reason why methadone and buprenorphine are the preferred drugs when tapering of opioids

A half G, once every 7-10 days, is the only way I could chip without wd symptoms.

A half G, once every 7-10 days, is the only way I could chip without wd symptoms.

Ive never used heroin but was in pain management for several year due to a quite severe njury in the military and once I got off everything I found just about any opioid taken more than a day or so at a time would trigger withdrawls.

Which is a shame as I'm in pain all the time and could get them prescribed if I wanted to but it's just not worth it...

Also I never found tapering to work that well as if you're really in pain it's hard to stick to...not everyone can handle cold turkey though. .and it seems to get progressively worse each time you go through it .even with so called "comfort meds".

Whether you're using for pain or recreation, having a large supply of a euphoric opioid in your possession and effectively tapering is an uphill battle of will to say the least

I've never done heroin, but I am a pain patient whose been prescribed every other narcotic under the sun. Hydromorphone is my main treatment and there was a time where I had 1 fill left and it was going to be a long time before I could another fill.

I've been through withdrawal before and didn't want to go through that again, so yes, I successfully tapered myself down with almost no withdrawal symptoms. The worst was a bit of sniffles and that was it, and mind hydro is 3-4X stronger than heroin and will provide a more brutal withdrawal and yet I avoided it by planning smart.

It is rare, but it can be done. And even outside of a taper you could let yourself go into withdrawal first and when most of the drug is out of your system, give yourself enough heroin to just get comfy and lower it from there.

If your will starts to wain get a friend/family member to help you.

Even if you avoid acute withdrawals there will still be a transition period before feeling normal (PAWS) and cravings to use because it that and in general

Thank you all. I understand how difficult it can be to taper when you have access. Fortunately for me, I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and I have always refused to travel with it no matter how many tricks there are to not getting caught with it. That being said, I ALWAYS give myself at least 10 days to go through WD before I travel so I don't go through WD on the job. That has happened once and I will never allow it to happen again. It not only effects me, but my partners and employees as well. So I will continue my taper experiment and let my friend know about it so he can keep me on the up and up. Appreciate the advice.

Thank you all. I understand how difficult it can be to taper when you have access. Fortunately for me, I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and I have always refused to travel with it no matter how many tricks there are to not getting caught with it. That being said, I ALWAYS give myself at least 10 days to go through WD before I travel so I don't go through WD on the job. That has happened once and I will never allow it to happen again. It not only effects me, but my partners and employees as well. So I will continue my taper experiment and let my friend know about it so he can keep me on the up and up. Appreciate the advice.

Best of luck man....seriously wish you well