• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

valerian root and sleep

dixon99

Greenlighter
Ive had some anxiety issues over the last year...and in turn thats lead to some sleep issues (mostly minor). Ive been weaning off risperdal for the last 4 1/2 months (I'm down to 0.125 mg so almost off it). My doctor has been great in helping me during this whole process. To help with sleep, she turned me onto a product that is valerian root/passion flower. its 145 mg per pill of each. I was taking 1 per night...over the last 6 week or so Ive been taking 2 per night. Sometimes i take a 3rd pill in the middle of the night if i have trouble going back to sleep. So most nights I take 290 mg of valerian root - for the last 6 weeks. I also take 3mg melatonin every night. From talking to her and reading online, it seems this is ok to do...the valerian is a low enough dose and I havent been on it for years. Has anyone else experienced taking valerian root or know much about it? I'm pretty safe from experiencing withdrawal? I assume it wouldnt be anything like coming off a benzo that I was taking nightly for months. When I do stop it, I will taper back to 1 pill first if I need to.

About every other week I'll take a restoril to sleep (and skip valerian root on those nights).

I also have atarax and benadryl that I use on occasion (maybe once or twice a month).

Should I cycle more? The valerian helps the most - even though I think its a placebo effect mostly. And I never feel hungover or any negative effects the next morning.

Any help and encouragement would be great. Its been a real tough year with anxiety and depression. The risperdal made it worse so I'm thankful to be off that drug almost. Sorry if this isnt posted in the right place.