• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can't get rid of the shits

davidwright5

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

Sober (from opiates) for 2 years or so. The one problem I can't get rid of: the shits! Sorry for the description, but it is part of the discussion. I wake up, I shit. I eat breakfast, I shit. I take a shower, I shit. Put my clothes on, I shit. Get ready to leave the house, I shit.

I swear to god, I shit anywhere from 3 to 6 times before I leave the house every morning. Usually once I "get it out of me" I'm fine for the rest of the day, but my god, mornings are pretty bad.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Hi guys,

Sober (from opiates) for 2 years or so. The one problem I can't get rid of: the shits! Sorry for the description, but it is part of the discussion. I wake up, I shit. I eat breakfast, I shit. I take a shower, I shit. Put my clothes on, I shit. Get ready to leave the house, I shit.

I swear to god, I shit anywhere from 3 to 6 times before I leave the house every morning. Usually once I "get it out of me" I'm fine for the rest of the day, but my god, mornings are pretty bad.

Any suggestions or solutions?

So .... just to clarify .... this issue started 2 years ago ... when you got clean?

Hmm. Two years is a long time for WD-related GI problems to persist. Of course anything is possible, but I wonder if the issue isn't actually unrelated to your opioid use/discontinuation. Probably worth talking to your doctor about, just to make sure everything is cool in there.

For most people, diarrhea doesn't last for more than one week after the cessation of opioid use. I'm curious, you stated elsewhere that you used kratom for a spell, maybe for 3 months, after you stopped the vicodin. Did you have diarrhea or other gastrointestinal issues while taking the kratom? Also, are you lactose intolerant?

Regardless, you should seek medical attention.

Sounds like you might have irritable bowel syndrome. Try cutting out bread and wheat products.

If this has been going on that long and wasn’t an issue prior to opioid use, I’d really suggest you get a physical and consult a gastroenterologist.

In the mean time, try adding healthy fibers to your diet. A good start is psyllium husk mixed with water or juice. It isn’t too nasty going down and helps a lot of people with this kind of thing.

Skipped my morning coffee this morning, and no problems whatsoever. Seems that causes issues for a lot of people. I'm going to see how that works for a few days.

davidwright5: I have been completely abstinent for 5 years 5 months and 20 days and have experienced this the whole time. I have not had but perhaps a handful of somewhat solid bowel movements in that time period. The way I deal with it is that I am very patient with myself. I meditate on a daily basis. Sometimes (oftentimes) that meditation takes place on the toilet. I wake up about 30 minutes earlier than I need to. I relax on the toilet and meditate. I don't force or push. I did a lot of terrible things to my body. I took chemicals (often completely unaware of what was actually in the substance) and put it in to my body in many ways. I didn't truly know what it would do to me then, I didn't know what it would do to me today, and I don't know what it will do to me 10 years from now. I am okay with that because the only other option is to not be okay with that.

Today I am happily married, a homeowner, a busy executive, a son, a brother, a friend, a mentor and a mentee...and I have loose stool. I can deal with that.

Are you using caffeine or nicotine?

Are you suffering from cravings, or are getting triggered?

Skipped my morning coffee this morning, and no problems whatsoever. Seems that causes issues for a lot of people. I'm going to see how that works for a few days.

Nice work. That has been an issue with my GI system before. Hopefully it clears up now. Let us know how it goes.

davidwright5: I have been completely abstinent for 5 years 5 months and 20 days and have experienced this the whole time. I have not had but perhaps a handful of somewhat solid bowel movements in that time period. The way I deal with it is that I am very patient with myself. I meditate on a daily basis. Sometimes (oftentimes) that meditation takes place on the toilet. I wake up about 30 minutes earlier than I need to. I relax on the toilet and meditate. I don't force or push. I did a lot of terrible things to my body. I took chemicals (often completely unaware of what was actually in the substance) and put it in to my body in many ways. I didn't truly know what it would do to me then, I didn't know what it would do to me today, and I don't know what it will do to me 10 years from now. I am okay with that because the only other option is to not be okay with that.

Today I am happily married, a homeowner, a busy executive, a son, a brother, a friend, a mentor and a mentee...and I have loose stool. I can deal with that.

I feel ya, brother. Nice work!

No coffee, no problems.

Great news. Just think of the environmental benefits, all that water no longer down the toilet. It's a win win.

I'll drink an extra cup on your behalf each day for a while. Just to keep the world in perfect balance, a zero sum game, caffeine-wise.

It's funny,I don't really think of myself as a coffee person, but I have a cup every morning. Ah well. Tried Macha tea today. Supposed to be extremely good for you. Not quite the same, but the trade off works for me.:)

Just wondering if you’ve tried taking a probiotic? And in your last labs do you know your vitamin levels? If you do not want to take the pill form of probiotics. You can add, yogurt, kefir, any fermented veggies such as kimchi, or kombucha. But if there is a chance of IBS or ulcers take the pill form. Not clinical advice just suggestions from experience.