• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Help - Opiate WD - Desperate for advice

HELP HELP!!! Caved last night - coward. Crap - such a failure. 3 today. BUT - I have a new plan and I'm writing it down here for everyone to witness. I'm going to check in as much as I can to keep strong. I meant what I said about not re-upping my scrip. No way. This time I'm putting it in writing and sticking to my plan. I would love any pointers to my schedule to see if you think it's good or bad. Here is the sitch - I have 112 pills left and just wrote out a plan for an official written taper. My plan is to confess here to my BL family - hope for strength and stick to the plan because it's written down. Today is 3-10-18. I'm starting the official and final forever and ever taper on Monday 3-12-18 and will taper for a total of 10 weeks then jump off on 5-16-18 forever and ever and ever. Swear to the big man upstairs. I know I am repeating myself but I need help, I need to put it out there and be held accountable. I can totally do this - I know I can. Please tell me if you think this plan will work. I will check in at least once a week to read any support messages and stay on track. Hopefully someone else will read this and decide to quit too - maybe we can do it together. I'm planning on this: 1 week at 3 pills - 2 weeks at 2 pills - 3 weeks at 1 pill and 2 weeks at .5 then jump off on May 16th forever. I will have 12 pills left for emergencies - or additional weeks at 1 or .5 depending on how I feel at the time. No matter what when they are gone they are gone so I either succeed with this taper plan or I keep trying and failing and succeed that way. Somehow having a written declared plan seems like a responsibility I can stick to. Being accountable to all of you helps me to not be such a coward. AGAIN. What do you all think? Is this too long for a taper? Too short? With the 12 I have left after that is there any adjustments you think I should make? I'm going to pass on any other comfort meds besides vitamins. I'm still taking my ambien as directed each night and will tackle that at a future date but I'm just trying to fix my brain and want to be done with this. Please - help me. Is this a good plan? Anyone? Anyone??? Love and strength to my BL family and anyone out there trying to do what I am doing.

Also if anyone can tell me what to expect at the different levels I would be so grateful. How bad will the jump off be and after 3 years of taking this stuff every day how long will my brain be broken? I don't drink or smoke and am relatively healthy other than this but my immune system is crap and I look like a hollow shell of my former self. So hoping my hollow eyed skull fills in a bit after I am healthy again. My expectation is that I will be over the process by the end of May and back on track to my former life by summer. Is that possible or should I just give up and know I will never be the same again? I feel sad and broken but resolved. Even if I stay broken forever I am still not going back to this. Anything is better than being labeled. Once you tell people you have a problem with meds they never see you in any other way. I don't want to be judged for the rest of my life every time I take an advil. My family are harsh with that and I just can't do it. I have to believe I can do this myself and get past it. Someday I will look back on all this and remember how tough I was getting past it just like so many heros here.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for this - should I start a new thread for advice on this new plan or just wait for someone to reply to this one?

hey mom - just read through your thread. I know this is not what you are going to want to hear, but you will probably need 1-3 months without any opiates to feel better again. The physical withdrawal symptoms (what you have been describing) usually peak on day 3-6 for people, and by end of 14 days the physical w/d's should be done (10-14 days i'd say). You will still not have the energy you are used to, still lethargic, antsy, bored, time slowing down, etc. There isn't a short cut here unfortunately. You are going to have to teach yourself how to live again without the PED (performance enhancing drug) you've been used to - Luckily you seem to be a very active person. Unluckily - you do have chronic pain issues (something I know nothing about) - so i can't really comment on that portion of your situation.

A few other tid bits that I want to mention - taking a dose of opiates when you are detoxing does set you back alot, and if you take much more then 1-2 doses, you are pretty much back to square one. it's a bitch. But what you were feeling on hour 72 is probably as bad as it's gonna get.

I have some similarities to you, except i could be your son. I didn't have any pain issues though. Always the smart but kinda trouble maker type, and i liked to party with my friends (so what? lol). Unfortunately 4 years ago I went through a very sudden personal tragedy, and ended up blowing 60-120mg of oxy every day for 3-4 years. luckily i had a very good job and somehow managed to keep everything together (well i destroyed my credit in the process lol, but got promoted twice by one of the largest financial service companies in the world twice - where i still am now - so i'll take it as a win).

I remember prob 2-2.5 years into my daily run when i was like alright time to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get off this junk - took me another 2 years to really put the effort in to get clean.

I have a few questions for you before I give you my advice:

1. Whats the deal with your script? Do you usually go to a doctor to get it re-written? are you going to that doctor again soon? how does that work? Because in my oppinion you will never be able to get clean when you have a script and all it takes is to eat just half of one to feel a million times better.
2. How bad is your pain? I am hesitant to give you my advice because I don't know about that side of it, but if you do wnat to get clean and stay clean, you will have to figure out a way to manage your pain.

My advice (or rather how i kicked a 4 year 120 mg oxy habit)

Pre-Prep:

1. Buy a shit ton of kratom. i've also thought the Red MaengDa strains are the best (but any red vein or one's advertised for pain relief)
2. The Kratom is not to get high, it is to stop your cravings, aches, etc - i foudn that it taks away alot of the uncomfort of withdrawals.
3. I also bought a bunch of weed - but thats just me. there are good opiate withdrawl guides on here that give you run down of various OTC medicines that will help ease various withdrawl symptons

Then...

1. Take 1-2 weeks off work - you won't be able to get clean while at work. It sucks, but you are gonna have to make getting clean your upmost priority - especially for the first 30 days.
2. Figure out where you are going to detox. I detoxed in my apartment, but not sure how youre kids/husband would play into this. You could tell them you have the flu or some other sickness and hide in your basement/bedroom maybe, or you could say you have a business trip and go stay at a hotel for a week.
3. Take your last dose at night before bed - and enjoy cause you ain't gonna be sleeping that well for a long time haha.
4. When you wake up, you will prob be withdrawing - or starting to. Take 4-5 gram of kratom - it should reduce alot of the withdrawal symptons - if it doesnt help take another gram. (be careful if you take too much you get weirdly nautious - very very unpleasant lol)
5. For the first few days take another dose of kratom when you start feeling the withdrawal symptoms kick back in.
6. Once you can try and stretch the kratom doses out every 4 hours then 4.5 then 5 hours - or whatever it may be. (For me i was able to really start a scheduled kratom dosage on day 3 or 4 i think, before that i dont remember)
7. I spent the first few days bing watching tv, smoking weed, and forcing myself to drink gatorade and plain pizza (i lived off of delviery plain pizza and gatorade all week lol)
8. On day 3-4 i started getting quite bored - and the kratom had kinda stablized me - started going for walks, then jogs, etc.
9. I continued just smoking weed, dosing kratom, excercsiign as much as i could, and watching tv. for another few days.
10. By day 10 i felt pretty good (still regularly dosing kratom) - but still very lethargic etc
11. Sometime around day 30,45 i really started feeling better.
12. 90 days and i felt so much better

Couple of things is its really important to stay busy, excercise, and pick up new hobbies and coping mmechanisms.

I did end up taking a shit ton of kratom every day for close to 6 months - i then took another "week's vacation" from work and prepared to do it all again but this time kick kratom - it sucked for a couple days but was a complete walk in the park compared to kicking oxy like luaghable IMO to compare the two (even though neither is pleasant).

It all comes down to will power - we all have that little voice in the back of our heads that comes up with some reason or story why just one more pill will be fine. Truth is one pill really does prolong the withdraws - you need to put 30 days clean before you can even really start thinking rationally IMO. 30 days isn't very long though - think of how long you've been on this junk. 1-3 months of hell to be free? it's worth it! and i rreally think kicking heroin is one of the bravest things anyone can do and a tremendous journey of self discovery - so you have that to look forward to :)

goodluck hope my ramblings helped!

also does your husband know about this? what about the doctor presrcibing you these pills?

don't they already know you are taking this shit every day? why don't you talk to them about it? they should be supportive and help you get treatment - you literally did nothing wrong, i don't think you should feel ashamed. Any person that was prescribed oxy daily would be in the exact smae boat as you within a year.

PC - Thank you so much for your response. All good advice - not what I wanted to hear but it is what it is right? - one pill setting you all the way back.... That's depressing. 3 - 6 months - even more depressing. But - whatever it takes. To answer your question I do have chronic pain but as I have been on this for so long I don't even know how bad it is anymore. On the few times I have run out or tried to quit by day 3 I'm hurting so bad I always cave but I don't know now if what I am feeling is WD's or bone pain. I have a regular scrip from my regular doc - not PM. He has wanted to transfer me for awhile but I keep thinking it's going to get better because it always had in the past. Somehow 3 years went by and here I am. I have never really had an "urge" to take the meds, it was more about the OCD schedule of doing everything on time. Without the pain my life continued - very well for awhile - but then it stopped working. I have to go in for regular appointments to keep getting the meds and last time I did he really made me feel like a criminal. My family know I take pain meds for my pain but they don't know it's this bad. I can't turn my head without something in the news or a TV show talking about "junkies" and I simultaneously feel embarrassed, shameful and totally angry that society puts such a harsh label on anyone who takes medication. Thats a topic for another section so I won't go into how terrible I think it is that we aren't taking more time as a society to be kind. I feel like I have a target on my back and I will not ever say anything to anyone in my life about this because they will certainly judge me harshly like the rest of society does. And for the rest of my life. So no thank you for sharing- I'm on my own and when I get past this I will be proud and happy that I never went anywhere but here for help.
One thing that has me worried is the idea that I will be suffering so bad that I will need to take time off work. As the only person in my house that works I can't take any time off. I have 3 kids and a husband to support, rent and school tuition's to pay so there will be no time off for me. :( So far on the few times I've gone without for almost 4 days, I have felt like total crap and weak as a kitten but other than the pain, weakness, exhaustion and chills / sweating I seem to do okay. I really have to force myself to get up and do anything but I can do it. Is this taper a good amount of time? DO you think I need to make any part of it longer or shorter to ease the jump point. Should I jump earlier or try to reduce even longer and stretch it out? At what point are you just prolonging the pain? If one pill really sets you all the way back then... ugh, my plan to go back to only using when I have major pain is officially shot to heck. Fine. Hearing you makes me worry that maybe I haven't been through the worst after all. And 3 - 6 months.... Double UGH. But fine. Whatever it takes. I'm in, one way or another and I will have to do the best I can to hide it cause I have no other choice. Here I go.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick to the schedule and try to stop counting hours. As an OCD person I must have faith in myself and simply follow the schedule. Secretly I have been believing that it won't be that bad and I will bounce back quicker than everyone says. I want to overcome faster and feel normal sooner. I want to be writing on this thread telling everyone how I did it and feel like myself again. If I can't believe in that I have nothing so I choose to believe. I can't believe even for a minute that I permanently broke my brain and my life is over. I couldn't live like that and I wouldn't want others to suffer by being with me like that so I choose to believe. Maybe faith will work.

Im taking about the same dose as you op so I will be following to see how bad it is. I also am in this alone besides my husband and no comfort meds. I also have to go to work . Its so hard when its a secret, saying you are tired or have a flu only works for a little while. Im at the point I know I need to stop but Im just not ready and scared to go thru it. Best wishes to you and keep updating , it?s very helpful for all of us .

3 months until you are feeling compeltly back to normal. 2 weeks and most of the physical signs you are suffering from should be gone. The one pill setting you back thing - is for when you are detoxing and getting clean. After a few weeks (30+ days), i do not think it would set you back - but trust me it is never just one pill.

if your doctor knows you have been taking oxy every day for the past few years (regardless of wether it was precribed or not), then he will know you've become physically dependent - it isn't a sign of weakness or some character flaw, its chemistry - and every single person would be in the same position as you if they were prescribed your medicine doses. I think you should be talking to your doctor about this open and honestly. And your husband. Its literally the doctor's job - you shouldnt be ashamed, and if you always have access to a script then stopping is gonna be alot harder - i strongly strongly think you should talk to your doctor - tell him you tried to stop taking them and started experiencing the worst flu like symptons youve ever experienced... i really think its his job to help wean you off these or explore other ideas.

no one is saying you permanantly broke your brain! i am just saying, you may be underestimating the work and will power its gonna take. the truth of the matter is you've been on something very very similar to heroin for years - its gonna take some time. a week or two off work and a couple of months to feel completely better may sound like a lot, but i know alot of people who have been "trying to quit" for years with no success because they haven't really put the necessary will power, thought, and time into getting clean. And when you look at it like that, 3 months is nothing.

you can definitely do it! and i've seen people with habits 100x worse then yours have complete 180 turn arounds in less then 6 months! it just takes alot of work and will power - and support from others makes it 100x easier.

with all that said the first 7 days are by far the hardest to put together, one day at a time, and constant perseverence. you can and will beat this if you put your mind to it!

Okay - good to know I am not alone. I will try to post at least once a week on my progress. I hope the higher powers will be with me to give me strength and can only think this will all be okay or I can not face it. Send some prayers my way and I will do the same for you. We can do this. I just have to keep thinking of what it was like before I went down this rabbit hole.

And PC - thanks. 3 months is totally dooable. I can do 3 months. It took 3 years for me to get here so 3 months will be okay. As long as I know there is an actual end I can do this. It's the thought that I will never be myself again, or that it will be years before I feel normal again that I struggle with. Next time I see my doc I will talk to him about it but with any luck I will be done with this before I do. A week of real pain followed by a few weeks of feeling crummy I can manage. I just have to keep reminding myself how close I am to my goal and not give up.

yes! you can do it! and i think that timeline you mentioned (7 days of pain, a few weeks...) sounds a bout right (i am no expert tho). The hardest part is going to be not listening to that little voice in the back of your head to just eat a pill and make yourself feel better - as i am sure you know, it is just as much (if not more) a mental battle as it is a physical one. you can do it, and you will be a much better and wiser person once you have come out on the other side.

PC - Thank you for being so kind and supportive. All I want to do is forget this is even happening and move on. I want to believe in the other side but I feel so lost. The endless and constant mental self shaming is exhausting. Please tell me that eventually ends and I will be normal again some day. Tomorrow... day one.

Day 1. Please tell me I can do this. Is it normal to think of nothing else around the clock? I'm so distracted by thinking of how long this will take, what if I fail, will anyone know, I wish I could take a handful and just forget about this, maybe I should give up, I can do this no problem... on and on and on.... please tell me that goes away after you finally heal? I can't hardly focus on anything I am so distracted. I'm so determined though. Screw this crap - life is better after this - life is better after this - life is better after this.....where are my red shiny shoes?

I can't tell you when the freedom from obsessive thought will come, but I can tell you it will come. It took me a long period of action (not using) before my thinking changed. You won't think your way out of this, but you can certainly act your way out of it. I used around the clock for many many years so it made sense that I would think about it around the clock. The miracle occurred when I became consciously aware in the moment that I was not thinking about it. A moment of true freedom. Obsessing about Obsessing is perhaps the roughest mind state to be in. I stayed busy...

Hey Mom- looks like we're in the same boat! I know exactly how you're feeling. If you find those shoes, pick me up a size 7 1/2, will ya? ☺

YOU CAN DO THIS.

Someone once said to me "how many day 1's do you have left in you?" and it struck a chord with me during my most recent hell week coming off high dose heroin down to suboxone. I never want to feel like I did almost 2 weeks ago again and that is what keeps me from using again. If I use, yeah I'll feel better for a couple of hours, but I remember that use is making my life fall apart. Is losing everything you love and care about worth some chemicals making you feel good for awhile? Withdrawal can seem like it lasts for years, believe me, even though I went on subs my tolerance was so high that I had SEVERE withdrawals for a week even on the subs, but it doesn't last forever. In the grand scheme of things, it's just a small blip in time.

End of day 2 and I was so busy I had to remember to stay on schedule. I don't even know if I would have noticed if I skipped. I feel different. Determined. It's so much better on the other side I can't wait to be past this. Keeping busy is helping a lot. Love the messages of encouragement. I AM DOING IT! praying for strength every day. The thought that is keeping me focused is how much better I know it will all be. A short term fix for pain is just not worth everything else. Eye on the prize.

Also, for anyone following me, once I made a vow not to fill my scrip again I knew it was over. One way or another. Taking charge and sticking to the schedule has given my OCD brain something to do and I think it's working...