• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kicking Heroin Advice

kabby1432

Greenlighter
Hi, i'm new to this board and my main interest is kicking heroin. I have been doing (snorting) it for three months and I really need to get off of it before it really ruins my life. I have been pretty much doing it everyday with a couple of days off here and there. I have tried to kick it, but by like day three I end up too miserable (the worst part of the withdrawals for me is the depression, anxiety and restless legs) and pick it back up. I have stockpiled a few things to help me kick because I really want to be successful this time. So I was hoping if I tell some of you what I have you can help guide me through the best way or regimen to follow to successfully get off of it.
I know that the best thing to do would be to go to a detox center, but there are various reasons why that is not a possibility at this point. I've also been down that road before and it hasn't helped me stay clean any longer that kicking things on my own. I am absolutely determined to quit and if it is impossible for me to do so at home I am going to have to go to a center, but I will lose quite a bit if I have to do that. Right now the only person that knows that I'm actively using is my grandmother and I'd really like to keep it that way. I really want to get back to my sobriety and back involved in my 12 step program.
So this is what I have stock piled to help me: 5 strips of 8mg suboxone, 9 pills of .5mg xanax, powdered vitamin c (sodium abscorbate) that I have already started taking, around 140 Imodium pills and lastly phenibut. So if anyone can give me advice on how I can use these things to help kick it with as little pain as possible I would be so grateful. I obviously know that no matter what I have in my detox 'kit' there's no way it's gonna be painless. It took me a little bit to acquire all this stuff so I really want to be successful. Also if you can think of or let me know of anything else that I might be able to get my hands on that helped you out when you were first kicking i'd love to hear about it.
Any General words of encouragement would be so much appreciated and please don't just say 'you have to go to a detox facility or you'll fail. I really am determined to do this on my own and as I said I know that would be my best option but the things i'm in danger of losing if I continue to use I would also lose if I had to go into detox. Thanks dio much guys

Two things I'd add to your kit if possible (they're Rx only, but many doctors see no problem scripting them).
1. gabapentin or baclofen
2. clonidine

Both of these will help immensely with the WD symptoms. The subs will definitely help too, as will the xanax (I don't know enough about phenibut to give advice on it other than to say, be careful, it's largely going to overlap with the xanax anyway and can be quite addictive in its own right).

There are quite a few good threads around here that give detailed schedules for detoxing with suboxone. Check in the "Sober Living Directory" thread. If you have trouble finding something suitable, post again and we'll put something together.

Oh, and for what its worth, unless there are complications such as benzo or alcohol abuse, detoxing at home is fine...often much better than detoxing at a center, where the quality of care can really vary, to put it kindly.

thank you so much for the advice! can you tell me what the two meds you posted about will help with specifically? i'll see if I can get an appointment to have a Dr prescribe them. I'm anxious and ready to get this process started I am so determined to be successful and just hope that I can do this on my own. I unfortunately know how hard it can be and I really only have this small window to get this done before things will really get very complicated and i'll end up in a lot of trouble. I have two weeks off of work and I would really like for a majority of the pain and discomfort to be done by the time I have to return to work.
I also forgot to mention that I got a bunch of maeng da kratom (which I only have a little bit of experience with) to also assist in the withdrawals. i'm wondering however, if the suboxone will counteract the kratom. I know that kratom is not an actual opiate, but i know they act very similarly, so i'm going to have to look more deeply into that.
Again, thank you so much for your input and support.

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication. But it has a good track record for reducing some of the common WD symptoms such as aching muscles, sweating, runny nose, etc.
Gabapentin is used for many purposes (primarily neuropathic pain and seizure disorders). It can often control symptoms like coldness, yawning, diarrhea, and general 'dysphoria'.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that kratom is viable even if you are taking buprenorphine.