• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids what if anything helps with cold turkying a big oxy habbit

OxyMoooron

Greenlighter
does anyone have any tips to get through detoxing off a big oxy habbit , over the last few years gone from around 30mg a day to currently between 150-250mg depending on how flush i am. I am about to go dry with nothing on the horizon.

does anyone have any tips to get through detoxing off a big oxy habbit , over the last few years gone from around 30mg a day to currently between 150-250mg depending on how flush i am. I am about to go dry with nothing on the horizon.
Hello :)
theres loads of info here, may find a lot more over in the sober living
kicking an oxy habit myself

comfort meds if you want to cold turkey, tapering if an option, lots of things can help.
are you able to taper at all before the jump?

The Thomas recipe for basic things to make the acute withdrawal a lil easier - http://www-personal.umich.edu/~timaster/biopsych/home.html

Recovery support section on the forums for lots of support!

Last edited:
Hello :)
theres loads of info here, may find a lot more over in the sober living
kicking an oxy habit myself

comfort meds if you want to cold turkey, tapering if an option, lots of things can help.
are you able to taper at all before the jump?

The Thomas recipe for basic things to make the acute withdrawal a lil easier - http://www-personal.umich.edu/~timaster/biopsych/home.html

Recovery support section on the forums for lots of support!

Thanks for the input bud, i appreciate it

The search engine at the top right of the page can bring up a ton of threads on W/D but this is a good place to start:

Does anyone know if I can take loperimide and suboxone together? I'm on day 3 of cold turkey from oxy dependence over 7 years, taking about 80 mgs a day, but tapered down to 10 mgs before running out. I have a very small amount of suboxone, and loperimide as needed. I have gabapentin and Baclofen too in limited amounts, tizanadine is available also. Thanks for any help!

In terms of health, not a good idea to combine the two.

In terms of Precipitated wd, I think symptoms would be localized to peripheral nervous system.

Are you trying to quit?

Lope from the dollar store if you are really in a pinch. Neurontin or lyrica if you can find them will alleviate nearly all symptoms and aren't opioids.

Depending on what your ultimate goal is, you might want to try kratom. I'm a long time opioid user, and I have tried most everything for withdrawals. And I usually go to kratom now, and lots of cannabis. I have actually been able to get through the withdrawal symptoms from running out of my medication too soon. Usually a week or so. And I have even been completely off the pain medication. But saw the doctor again and he wrote me 120 8mg dilaudid. And I folded, still taking the dilllies now.

Although, just as with last month I have run myself short. So doing the "kratom Kick" to not be sick. Stops about 85% of the suffering. I feel for you. I have been medication free for up to 6 months. But chronic pain always caused me to go back. It's a vicious cycle.

IIRC the binding affinity(Ki) is higher with the Suboxone's buprenorphine than Loperamide. For GI issues sure but if you're on centrally active amounts of Lope beware the induction phase or hit multiple small test doses that can be ridden out without full blown precips,

I started the suboxone yesterday, taking less than 1mg, just enough to take the edge off. Will be taking less every day as I only have 5 mgs. Then I have to jump! I hope it's not awful when I jump, I do have gabapentin and will be upping my doses of that to help. And I take tizanadine at night and that helps with sleep. Any more advice from anyone to get thru this? TIA! Have a great day all!!

Any way you slice it, going from ~250mg oxycodone a day to nothing is going to be quite uncomfortable. Stick to your guns and it will get better with time though!

Yes I do want to quit, however I have chronic pain from a car accident in 2010. I just don't know what to do for pain control. I have tried so many different things to ease the pain and nothing works except my oxys. So I guess the the answer is I'm not able to quit, cuz I need them to function daily. My wife has Crohns disease and Multiple Sclerosis, so I have to do most everything in the house and take care of her and our dogs. Without pain control I can't do what I need to do. Weed is illegal where we are, or I would use that!! Any suggestions are appreciated!! Have a great day!!

I was only taking 80 mgs a day, and I got down to 10mgs before I ran out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nanneelix, you're soliciting advice in a thread by Oxymaroon about quitting 250mg CT. Several options have been mentioned.

IIRC the binding affinity(Ki) is higher with the Suboxone's buprenorphine than Loperamide. For GI issues sure but if you're on centrally active amounts of Lope beware the induction phase or hit multiple small test doses that can be ridden out without full blown precips,

Loperamide has binding affinity similar to methadone, maybe between that and morphine

CNS activity is unlikely without inhibitors, because of low BA%, and PHP

However PWD's are certainly possible(at least in theory) if you are taking large doses of lope with proper co-medications to make it centrally active

Which would be borderline insane; at best your underwhelmed with significant yet transient and somewhat uncomfortable effects, at worst your crippled or otherwise changed for life (or it could be lethal at the extreme) even if not permanent, side effects abound

Doxlyamine is a good OTC anti-histamine to have around(Unisom classic sleeptabs and generic equivalents) and Cetirizine as an antihistamine and hit or miss anti-entic; it works, just requires larger doses to get into the CNS-like 30-40mg, though this may cause anticholinergic effects, main reason you avoid Benadryl (in general; if too nauseous, 25mg is still better than most US otc meds). Doxylamine has less side effects and is more relaxing, as a more potent sedative/hypnotic-12.5-25mgs is surprisingly active

In the U.K., GET Hydroxyzine; anti-emetic, mild anti-anxiety effects, fairly relaxing, and practically no anticholinergic activity, and side effects are rare, and it produces the long acting Cetirizine as a me/the primary metabolite; it just has multiple uses and IMO is worth a shot; Promethazine is a very good anti-emetic, literally among the best, and quite sedating, however it has anticholinergic effects that limit dosing, and also low, though variable BA%; note that you can take up to 100mg of hydroxyzine with 25-50mg (or 12.5 as a tester) as the starting dose, then another 25-50ng after gauging effect; BID is useful, except as hypnotic

Pronwthazine, you are kind of limited to 12.5-25mg, though it is still useful to have, if you don't have the non-anticholinergic hydroxyzine as an alternative

Gabapentin and other GABAergivs seem useful; and although no personal experience with phenibut, it is certainly worth trying, especially if gapapentin (or Pregabalin) helped, as sources tell me it helps as well, and is similiar in it's mechanism of action

Certain muscle relaxers, although flexeril has anti-cholinergic effects-too many RX meds to get into

Stay hydrated, that helps1and swriquel or remeron, also worth it, or Clonidine; RX only, though three then out there;
Plenty of resources outside of this thread, as already mentioned -Smooth Sailing