• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I need Advice for waiting tables and having anxiety ( among other issues )

LadyRaoulDukeGonzo

Greenlighter
Just started a new job waiting tables again. I've done it before a few years ago and I wasn't very good at it then so I assume I'll be pretty bad at it still. Especially because my anxiety is worse now than it was back then. I also have some other flaws that should suggest that I shouldn't be waiting tables at all these include:

Having bad short term memory ( probably due to being a pot head for more than 15 years )

Being clumsy/ uncoordinated

Lack of organization/time management skills

Easily overwhelmed in a fast paced environment

Naturally shy

What I lack in these skills I make up for in customer service skills. I'm good at being friendly and warm. I can be sweet and sometimes even charming. I'm good at making people laugh and have a sense of humor, but not everyone is looking for that in a waitress. I'm pretty shy sometimes, though and talking to new people is not one of my favorite things. As a result, I can stumble on my words and appear unconfident. I also have pretty bad anxiety and I think it shows through my word stumbling, shyness, body language also I'll start sweating sometimes and I'm scared customers will notice. My anxiety really kicks in when I have a lot of tables and have to rush from one task to another, I'll get tunnel vision and get even more forgetful and clumsy. I'm still training so I have some time to prepare but I seriously need advice to address these issues. Thanks guys.

The more you can do to relax and understand that what you are anxious about are not deficits in you but just the normal stress of waiting tables, the better off you will be. I waitressed for many years and I know that even though I was good at it, it was always inherently stressful. The best thing is to take the stress of it out of your mind before the shift. Do a five minute meditation or simply some positive self talk. Good luck and hope you make good tips!<3

Ladyraoul, I too have anxiety and work in hospitality. Saying that my anxiety doesn't often extend to customers. I work with a lot of people who do though. The walk in is a good place to scream.

I too have a short term memory, write everything down. If you forget something smile, turn on the charm and do your best to make the situation better. Easiest way if they're not happy with an apology is offering a complimentary coffee. Just be sure to let management know.

I'm clumsy but oddly enough not at work. You'll find your rhythm eventually.

Time management is something only you can control and that'll really need your attention. If you're in therapy it's good to bring this up. Mindfulness in your free time might clear some head space.

Explain to your manager about your anxiety and before you get overwhelmed and find yourself in the weeds let your manager know. They should reduce your section and inform the host not to seat you until you're caught up. Always ask for help if needed.

I wish I could help you with shyness, mine naturally disappeared over time. I still get shy in certain situations though.

You got this. Remember, charm goes further than you think and with your customer service skills you'll do well, better than you think.

Feel free to PM me any time. Chats can often be a natural confidence booster.

Good luck <3