• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

anti-gout medication for opiate withdrawal?

asecin

Bluelighter
hi, this is year old article i found but i was shocked to read this that some simple anti-gout med might help with opiate withdrawal; https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170130110911.htm

what do the more educated on this part of the forum this about this? is this some misinformed hype? and for those with biochemistry knowledge, how is it possible that this med will actually alleviate opiate withdrawal??

Here's the original Nature Medicine paper.

Pros:
1. It's a peer reviewed Nature Medicine paper. (+1 point)
2. Their logic checks out, and their animal model validates their hypothesis. (+1 point)

Cons:
1. The study is in rats. (-1 point)
2. The study isn't in humans. (-1 point)
3. The study is the first of its kind and has not been further investigated, elaborated, or duplicated by an independent lab (-1 point)

The two drugs mentioned are probenecid and also mefloquine. Probenecid is an anti-gout medicine but it also decreases the excretion of many drugs, including penicillin and naproxen among others. Mefloquine is an antimalarial.

Both are presumably easy enough to get; they're not OTC but there are worse things to get a prescription for. Just keep in mind that there's no guarantee that either drug will work at all in humans, and also make sure to read up on the side effects: both are kind of "dirty" with respect to binding, in that they have a lot of biological activity at targets you don't want it to bind at. Probenecid can severely reduce excretion of many drugs via the kidneys, prolonging their duration of action in the body, and mefloquine has some scary possible neurological side effects like anxiety, nightmares, and psychosis.

My verdict is, try probenecid if you're desperate, want to risk being in a totally uncontrolled test of a new drug with no placebo to compare against, are comfortable with the risk of side effects, don't take an excess of other drugs that may be interfered with, and have a doctor who'd support you.

I'd wait until there's some proof this actually works in humans or at least some type of primate, not lab rats.

it will be impossible to ever test such crappy meds for anything but their original indication considering no pharmaceutical is going to invest and hope to gain from those. only way i guess is to try it yourself after all. mefloquine does seem worse of the two, and probenecid's ability to slow down excretion of various things, might actually be helpful with flavonoids and other natural compounds with little bioavailabity, whats the take on this??

Probenecid wouldn't be a new drug, its already known and out there.

As far as a placebo, then an active placebo is possible, in the form of administering the drug one is attempting to reduce excretion of without probenecid.

Antimalarials don't seem even close to an acceptably safe potentiator for anything. Bad enough generally speaking to have to take them for malaria prophylaxis with the exception of quinine (which seems an awful lot more benign than other, more modern synthetic antimalarials, I've taken it myself, although in an attempt to stop RLS and leg cramping, which although unsuccessful did not cause me any horrible side effects, or for that matter, any other sort of side effects. It tasted bitter but that was as traumatic as it got. Hardly the worst possible effects a drug may produce.)

Had it the same uses, I'd have outright refused to try mefloquine, chloroquine etc. in a 'no means no' kinda way. Buggering diseased bollocks on a fucking cocktail-stick to that, would quite probably be the first words to come out of my mouth to my GP had he suggested I take it. Assuming I was going to refrain from particularly profane language.

among other meds, this one is very confusing to the doctors i talked to. hah, i just said i needed it for gout and they were scratching their heads what the med is. they are so stupid, they didnt even know if i really have gout as i lied, they just scratched their heads again how to determine i do, but assumed i do and tell me they cannot prescribe anything wow.
now im 100% sure, american doctors are morons. there should be a phrase "as stupid as an american doctor"

ive tried to get this medication with no success. isnt anyone else interested in this? considering so many are addictive to opiates, there must be some interest!?

Given that there haven't been any followup studies on pannexin compounds, it doesn't bode well.

I have tried SOO many compounds that were found to alleviate WD in mice and rats, but haven't been very effective for me, that I don't get my hopes anymore or spend time trying to source obscure obsolete prescription meds, but if you get your hands on some and report good results that would pique my interests.

Asecin, you think your yank doctors are bad?

Wait until you get a 'what the FUCK!'-full of british doctors. Lets see...one asks 'are you allergic to anything'.....is told 'yes, beta-lactam antibiotics', then puts in an IV line, starts it, I asked what it was, the hospital doctor just said 'an antibiotic', I pressed him, while he was trying to go, and he told me it was one of (I forget which now) the penicillins, and this is just after trying to start me on IV metronidazole despite my telling him I've just had a liter of southern comfort rye whisky to dull the pain of the injury I'd gone in for, a couple of hours earlier. And he just went 'so?'

I had to give him a rather irate lecture in basic biochemistry, and told him to change the fucking antibiotic because metronidazole will act like coprine or disulfiram in conjunction with alcohol, being an aldehyde deydrogenase inhibitor. He said ' oh you will be fine'
until I really gave him a thick ear.

But asking AGAIN if I had allergies, same guy, after I told him that I wouldn't allow him to use the metronidazole, he actually asked again, was told beta lactam antibiotics again, severity-up to anaphylaxis. Then he started a penicillin drip. He said 'I'll be back to check on you in ten minutes' and walked off. When he came back he found floor piss wet through, after I'd pulled my knife out and severed the IV line to prevent the poison (to me at least) entering my body, and it pooling in a slick on the floor.

IIRC it was something like erythromycin, gentamycin and one other, I forget what it was now, years ago. But that was the third step, after I got someone for a 2nd opinion.

Or...how about a GP asking 'allergies' ? told 'penicillins, not sure about other beta-lactams such as carbapenems those have never been used in me' and then IMMEDIATELY wrote a script for co-amoxiclav (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid)

I've got more. Many more. I've had ONE hospital visit that wasn't a horrendous, fucked up disaster that leaves me afraid to go to a
hospital at all.

I have been on methadone for around 9 months (40-60mg) and am now down to 5mg within 4 days with no physical dyscomfort (No single drop of sweat...) or signs of delusion - by using 2'-Oxo-PCE (and a bit of lyrica. Think it was unneccessary though). I'm feeling euphoric. It's weird. Not that damn weird as I've done the same two years ago with 6mg of buprenorphine and 2'-Oxo-PCM, respectively, but it remains extraordinary.

Sorry for derailing the thread, it just happened to be on the top when I was looking around for where-to-maybe-post ...

That compound linked here does indeed interest me. But hasn't something similar been said about proglumide (oh yeah, they are chemically similar)

Last edited:
so, 2'-Oxo-PCM is something similar to ketamine? i wonder whats the differences...