• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Is this Benzo W/D or am I okay?

Bealzebot

Greenlighter
Okay so this is my first time posting and if anyone could shed some light onto my situation it would be much appreciated.

I have been taking xanex since early December. I have always had PTSD/GAD and figured they might help. I tried 1 mg of xanex a couple times back in the first week in December and they helped tremendously and my anxiety subsided for a bit so I didn't feel the need to continuously take them. Fast foreward to mid January and I start taking them again, usually 1 mg to sleep every other night or the occasional "bender" with a friend where we'd take a whopping 2 mg one night.

Over the past week besides one day where I didn't take any it has been 1 mg a night and then 3 days ago where it was 2 mg and I noticed I was building a tolerence. The next morning I felt weird, light-headed, and anxious all day so I figured maybe take a break from xanex altogether. Yesterday I had a full blown anxiety attack and almost went to the hospital until I decided to take 1 mg. Passed out for the better half of 14 hours and woke up feeling okay this morning. Later on in the day today I started feeling very anxious and "wired" or on edge/shakey so I looked into WD and rebound anxiety etc. Now I'm worried that I'm going to have a seizure or something and die.

I've never taken above 2 mg ever and there have been times where it was a week or two in between use. My mom has been on Xanex (.5 mg) for a long time for her PTSD and told me to continue to take .5 a day only until I can fully taper.

I did end up taking a .5 today to be on the safe side and I'm feeling relatively okay besides being a little irritable and kinda shakey.

New to all this so I plan on seeing a Dr. next tuesday, but I am making sure I'm going to be fine or if I should take any special precautions (take more/less or go to the hospital idk). Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:
Doubt your in seizure territory, seems more like legitimate panic/anxiety issues, combined with rebound anxiety from alprazolam(xanax)-Itisvery effective and hits hard and fast, however it wears off quite fast, especially at 2mg or less-and that can make ithings worse when hours later it has worn off, and symptoms begin to creep back up

Would recommend something longer lasting, yet anxiolytic, with clonazepam being a first choice, or even Lorazepam, combined with secondary medication if long term-even Valium may be preferable depending upon condition and response

However benzodiazepines alone are offten not the answer and the wd is terrible- that cannot be stressed enough

Yiu are probably becoming addicted already, and Amy be in the early stages of *devoliping* a dependency-however your use is simply not heavy enough to have a full blown WD syndrome and seizures would be unlikely if you are not epileptic already

Nonetheless, do not cold turkey-go to a Dr. as you mentioned, be until then keep use as low as possible, using 1-2mg as needed for panic attacks or extreme anxiety, and 1mg in certain important situations as a precaution if you are predisposed. Otherwise stick with 0.5 if you fun function in that normally or majority of the time-Good luck, and if this becomes long term again recommend switching benzos and trying other medications, although doc should (hopefully) handle that; if he doesn't want to give benzodiazepines, stress that you need. Then at least during transition, both to other meds and to transition/wean off of them; Continuing xanax or perhaps Valium temporarily would be reasonable, or low dose clonazepam (0.5mg 2-3x per day or 1mg BID) ask any other questions/concerns, someone should help

Thank you for the insight! I'd really like to stop the benzos altogether. So I'm going to see what a Dr. says. As well as trying to keep it at .5 a day unless I'm having serious anxiety. I've also heard Valium is harder to be prescribed. Much appreciated though.

^ Nah, it is xanax that is usually thought of as "abusable"-the problem with Valium is low potency, and it wears off fast, despite a longer t1/2

It is true that it seems more and more to be used as a wd taper med; however it was the 2nd benzo, and the first was a prodrug, so Valium has a multitude of "accepted" medical uses-even if de-facto acception; clonazepam seems to be "relatively easy to get, though if you can find another treatment, that is ideal-maybe have like 10 or 15 xanax or Valium(they kick in really fast, otherwise not a big fan of synchronic use) for PRN panic attacks, at least at first-And you are Welcome :) And also, WELCOME TO BL!

I used Xanax for PTSD related panic attacks and I noticed that instead of just taking Xanax and forgetting about the real issue I would just bounce back into panic attack mode if I took 0.5mg and it started to wear off.

1mg would help better but I would feel like being wasted on it so I decided that I just used Xanax to stop the panic attack and then started doing meditation and mindfullness based practices to help my anxiety while I was still under the influence of Xanax and it did help much better.

Soon I could stop using Xanax altogether and carry on just by meditation and mindfullness based practices and also my therapy was helping in the background.

I wouldn't risk being long time on Xanax for panic attacks as it will risk getting addicted into it.