• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Calling dumbasss doctors

Vench

Greenlighter
I?m going to cut through the chase, my mother, who is 62 years old,Has arthritis, Gout,bulging disc among a few other problems minor in comparison, who watches me, her son getting ready for college, TWO special needs 10 year old kids, IS A SINGLE MOTHER, Oh AND GOES AN SEES HER MOTHER WHO IS IN THE NURSING HOME WITH DEMENTIA EVERY OTHER DAY, had her pain medication cut from 4, to 2, to ?taper off?, this is due to her CHANGING to another pain medication that she didn?t tell her, she?s doing this because the last few days of the month she runs out because she takes an extra at night sometimes for her pain (keep in mind she?s on 4 now but was on 7 a decade ago), she even told my Mom when she said how she was gonna make it ?well you don?t have any in your system right now anyway?
Can I call up there and tell these idiots, or ATLEAST ask to hear it from them? Don?t they have to give her SOMETHING to help the the withdrawals now with the pain, maybe one a day of the medication she WILL be on next month? If someone can?t make it on 4, how do you put them on LESS? I just need some advice on what to say and can I can tell her she can maybe even sue for cruel and unusual punishment?

Whoa man, we cannot give legal advice

I am barely qualified to give basic medical advice, much less, whatever this is

Your post is also one long paragraph and confusing

Sorry for the situation, make the call or do what is necessary, unfortunately no help here sir/man/androgynous shapeshifter

It's hard to follow exactly what's transpired going by your post. It may have been a miscommunication between your mother going from one medication to another or running out early. Generally, staff at doctor's offices will not speak with a third party due to HIPAA regulations unless it's been notated that they can talk to you. I go through this myself since my dad's in his 70's and it's on file that I am his power of attorney/healthcare surrogate.

I will tell you this from experience: you will get further using sugar as opposed to vinegar. ie, They are less likely to help if you are nasty to them.

Yeah, post is confusing, though being a prick or threatening to sue will get you nowhere, most likely

Can't blame you for being frustrated as this is a problematic situation rife with raw emotions. TBH though a well thought out and reasoned argument will get you much farther than accusations or unchecked emotional outburst, like T Calderone mentioned.

Maybe consider trying to join in on the next appointment with your mother, as going it alone will be a short road.

To give you an idea of the problem, not even doctors agree with the course of action taken by some other doctors, though this thing was hitting critical mass and many will be swept up in the wake of the problem through one facet or another.

(Sry it's from fox..)
To combat the country’s harrowing opioid addiction epidemic, many doctors are moving away from prescribing powerful painkillers to patients, but a nationwide survey finds that 34% percent of physicians believe this tactic may actually be hurting people with chronic pain issues.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/...cutting-back-on-prescription-painkillers.html

It was between some "Hillary needs to be locked up" and "Anything not heard here is Fake News!" pieces.

@ Vench, Let us know how it turns out and if you are able to make any headway with your Mother's case. It might take some time and more than one visit but wishing you the best of luck with it.

If they give you a hard time, get your hands on a medical power of attorney. Of course, I'm assuming your mother is on board with the move. Get it signed and give it to the doctor. Now he has to communicate with you. Then carefully plan out your next move and hopefully you can get things squared away.

I act as an advocate for my father's pain medication when he's in the hospital and boy do they need their butts kicked every now and then. And remember, very few doctors have any "real" training in dealing with pain and it's medication.

Just for laughs but true - remember half of all the doctors out there graduated in the bottom half of their class. To boot, you may even be dealing with one that finished last in his class. They still get called doctors too! UFB

I'll back up beachbum, but they will chastise those who need pain meds for asking for them even denying them yet give them out like candy to those who don't need it because they don't say anything about it.... Kind of ass backwards if you ask me

The 'dispensing like candy' phase is closing fast if it still exists. Plus the insurance companies, for doctors and patients, are pushing reduction and cessation of opioids double-time.

Not necessarily... As far as giving pain meds in an out patient setting it's like trying to get prescription meth. In patient though on the ER they love giving it out to shut patients up as the regulations are more lax were the only concern is feeding an unhealthy habit vs creating a dependency