Glucagon For Energy And More

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
As most already know, glucagon is a hormone with the opposite effects to insulin. Through activating adenylate cyclase and subsequently increasing cellular CAMP levels, glucagon causes the body to releace glucose from the liver and also from glycogen stors in the muscles. Some articals also refer to glucagon as the ?fat burning hormone? thoe Im not sure if this is strictly true. I have tried to find out more about glucagon, specifically its effects on mood, behaviour and body structure/composition. The most annoying thing is that when I research glucagon, all I get is results online about glucagone like peptide1 (GLP1) which isn?t what im looking for. I have several questions I would appreciate any help:
1 could injecting very low dose glucagon keep up energy levels in the same way ingesting glucose can?
2 Could glucagon enhance exercise performance better than carbs?
3 Does anyone know of a small molecule glucagon receptor agonist (please not a GLP1 agonist)?
4 are there any known PDE inhibitors that dramatically increase blood sugar even in the absence of a meal, if so what PDE enzymes do they block.

Contrary to popular belief sugar does not give one extra energy, but lack of glucose = lack of energy. I'm not sure that's how you meant it but it reminds me of moms at a birthday party "my kid is going crazy, he ate too much sugar!"

Glucagon is not good for performance. Just eat carbs. It does "burn fat" but equally "burns muscle" (to somewhat oversimplify it) and is not a sustainable, long term energy. It's simple, glucagon gives glucose, same as carbs, only carbs don't suck them from important places. Your body will try to restore that glycogen eventually, mostly, and you'll need carbs then or you'll have some nasty hypoglycemia, especially if combined with a workout.

Burn fat with traditional methods, calorie restriction, muscle gain. Get performance with good macro ratios, calorie amounts, and if you find eating extra carbs before a workout extends your workout or adds endurance, do that. I find 40g simple carbs (usually dextrose ), 20g complex, 15g fat, 40g protein before a workout helps me, but then again I eat 5000calories a day right now and likely have very different goals than you.

Any reason you don't use caffeine? It gives energy/performance boost and will help to lose fat with the slight metabolism boost. Sounds like exactly what you want. Apologies if any of this is wrong, learned it in school for a nutrition degree years ago, but pretty sure I remember all that correctly. Your questions on PDE inhibitors greatly exceed my knowledge but it seems like you might be trying to reinvent the wheel. Is your main goal fat loss? Performance/endurance? Even blood glucose levels? Myself and the other folks here have many old school tried and true methods to achieve either of these

Last edited:
Supplemental glucagon is a really unwise idea, especially in regards to excess catabolism/gluconeogenesis and muscle loss via PKA activation --> F2,6-P --> FBP1 etc.

[edit] You sound like you're into the science side of it OP, I'll see if I can find something decent papers on this. It's a long while since I studied it.

Last edited:
Here's a few. I recommend reading all of them for a flavour of the issues at hand and to answer some of your questions. While glucagon will enhance energy, it will do so at the expense of protein tissue (especially during exercise). Losing excess muscle will ultimately hamper performance, though ephemeral changes in AA concentration and normal tissue turnover obviously make the picture a little more complex and time-responsive...

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/12/834.short

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/118782

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.ph.54.030192.004321

http://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpendo.00492.2002

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/y96-161

As most already know, glucagon is a hormone with the opposite effects to insulin. Through activating adenylate cyclase and subsequently increasing cellular CAMP levels, glucagon causes the body to releace glucose from the liver and also from glycogen stors in the muscles. Some articals also refer to glucagon as the ?fat burning hormone? thoe Im not sure if this is strictly true. I have tried to find out more about glucagon, specifically its effects on mood, behaviour and body structure/composition. The most annoying thing is that when I research glucagon, all I get is results online about glucagone like peptide1 (GLP1) which isn?t what im looking for. I have several questions I would appreciate any help:
1 could injecting very low dose glucagon keep up energy levels in the same way ingesting glucose can?
2 Could glucagon enhance exercise performance better than carbs?
3 Does anyone know of a small molecule glucagon receptor agonist (please not a GLP1 agonist)?
4 are there any known PDE inhibitors that dramatically increase blood sugar even in the absence of a meal, if so what PDE enzymes do they block.

We use glucagon 1mg, IM, in an emergency medical setting on patients presenting with hypoglycemia, for breakdown of stored liver glycogen into glucose..
Once injected it wont work a second time unless the liver has been restocked via a carbohydrate rich meal, if wanting a glucose hit why not take it orally...

Not sure about OP but I was interested in something like glucagon while dieting since it feels like my blood sugar is constantly low all the time and was wondering if something that would cause a more drastic release in liver glycogen would help control BS levels. Sounds like a no but glucagon isn't easy to get either and there aren't any drugs with similar MOAs that I'm aware of

Anything that raises adrenaline will increase BG via some similar pathways (and glucagon). Drastic increases in BG will increase insulin release though, causing fatigue and lowering BG again.

Anything that raises adrenaline will increase BG via some similar pathways (and glucagon). Drastic increases in BG will increase insulin release though, causing fatigue and lowering BG again.

This. I believe its in the information pamphlet for ephedrine amps to watch for bg changes and side effect of hyperglycemia.

Hi Thanks for the detaled reply. My gole isn’t realy fat loss, in fact I am currently believed to be underweight (7.6 – 7.8 Stone). However I do want to be able to binge on high sugar junk food without risk of getting irreversibly fat. Oddly, unlike most of my family, I seem to loose weight rapidly if cutting back sugar and moveing more, even without intensive exercise. However whin I over eat, I very rapidly accumulate belly fat in large amounts but much less fat on other parts of my body. Do you know what the cause of this may be?

Sure, and I'm not being snarky, but you're eating too many high GI calories too quickly and it results in a certain type of bodyfat patterning. And a large proportion will be visceral fat deposition and incredibly unhealthy, regardless of the level of bodyfat overall.

The solution is self-control to not binge on junk. There's no way of avoiding the numerous deleterious consequences from a sugar or sugar/fat overload, much of which damage you can't see (hyperglycaemia, ROS harm, liver harm etc). Although lots of exercise and high levels of muscle mass will certainly help.