• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

I am not afraid of death

LadyRaoulDukeGonzo

Greenlighter
For some time now I have accepted that death is inevitable and is absolutely certain for all life. When I say that I'm not afraid of death, I don't mean that I have a death wish or that I am suicidal ( Not currently, that is, I have struggled with depression in the past ). What I mean is that I have been trying to live my life in a manner in which no matter what is waiting for me after I die, at least I tried my best to become a highly evolved human and that I contributed towards the betterment of the human race. If I somehow meet an afterlife filled with punishment it wouldn't matter because the game is rigged and fostering a better existence for humanity is more important than how your soul may spend eternity.

Creating an existence that promotes human evolution towards enlightenment is the goal, not ending up in our preferred resting place for our spirit. To create a positive and empathetic world is the goal and is in my opinion, the closest place we'll get to heaven. To die with the knowledge that you somehow hindered our journey towards a blissful understanding of each other is the ultimate hell. That your contribution towards the human race was only negative and harmful goes against what our purpose really is. I don't believe in a heaven or hell after death, it's the confidence that we served our true purpose: advancing or contributing to man kinds greater good. Why else would we be blessed with the ability to ponder our own death and what it is we need to accomplish before it happens? If only you don't help set us back from ultimate bliss and understanding, then that is acceptable as well. I would only be afraid of death if I knew for certain that all I did with my gift of life was effect the world in a negative way. My purpose would not be fulfilled and my existence was a waste. If I had my choice, evil wouldn't be punished with an eternity of torture, it would be an eternity of that moment you realized that your purpose was not fulfilled and that your existence was meaningless. Because of my effort, however small, to help be a part of the solution for humanity's weakness, I can be comfortable with what will happen to us all one day our deaths.

Thank you for informing me about this book. Very interesting. I'm intrigued by the concept that through our actions we could symbolically transcend our fears of mortality and live on after death. Creating society was a response to our ability to comprehend our mortality. We are all going to die someday so to overcome this crushing realization we must live towards a purpose of betterment. After all, aren't all the physical distractons we consume ourselves with just another way to avoid having to ponder our mortality?

Basically that's what Becker is saying. Culture is a immortality project we use to convince ourselves that something, some part of us is immortal, even if it's just the continuation of our tribe/country/culture or our bloodline or a tall building with our name on it or a statue to our greatness or being a fan of a winning football team. The list goes all the way to the bottom of the rabbit hole according to Becker and the TMT folk.

death has to be conquered by man, not just immortality of the soul, or deattachement from body and free soul ,but the body has to transformed into its truth, which is that it is a divine existence and it doesnt need to decay, it doenst need to aggregate by consuming other bodies, it doesnt need to be a prison for the soul , instead it has to perfectly follow he inner guidance...

death has to be conquered by man, not just immortality of the soul, or deattachement from body and free soul ,but the body has to transformed into its truth, which is that it is a divine existence and it doesnt need to decay, it doenst need to aggregate by consuming other bodies, it doesnt need to be a prison for the soul , instead it has to perfectly follow he inner guidance...

I see our physical bodies as an advanced, finely tuned vehicle in which our souls operate on our journey towards our higher purpose. Indeed it is not a prison for the soul but a mother ship capable of spectacular things. Our bodies evolved to fit the needs of our ever growing souls. They must be in balance with each other in order to function properly. Our biological nature is unique in the natural world, advanced opposable thumbs, rotatable wrists and brains capable of executing extremely complex tasks. As our need for spiritual growth expanded, our bodies also transformed to keep up with those needs. I could be wrong though, was it our spiritual needs that evolved because of the evolution of our bodies or did our bodies evolve to suit the spiritual needs of our souls? Either way, they are equally powerful in their own ways.

Basically that's what Becker is saying. Culture is a immortality project we use to convince ourselves that something, some part of us is immortal, even if it's just the continuation of our tribe/country/culture or our bloodline or a tall building with our name on it or a statue to our greatness or being a fan of a winning football team. The list goes all the way to the bottom of the rabbit hole according to Becker and the TMT folk.

Through our legacies we will carry on our existence in the physical world, the impact of which is what determines how close we become to immortality. To be a part of something that will forever alter or influence the human race is the ultimate use of our time spent in the physical form. To be remembered is to live on. Who's to say that a thought, a dream, a memory isn't a physical manifestation? They require synapses to fire in our brains therefore causing a measurable physical action in the real world. Who's legacy/impact is most remembered? That of those who positively contributed to humanity or that of those who negatively influenced humanity? Either way, it is a form of the afterlife.

No I don't think there's anything after and we are almost all forgotten already. Just think of the untold billions of lives all striving to be immortal. Where are they now? Even the most famous will be gone in a blink. And good riddance I say. I don't see much of worth in our species. I do see a lot to dislike however.

I could be wrong though, was it our spiritual needs that evolved because of the evolution of our bodies or did our bodies evolve to suit the spiritual needs of our souls? Either way, they are equally powerful in their own ways.

i dont know, but as far as the evolution is concerned it is always preceded by an involution...

it was the involved spirit that urged life out of the rock

it was the involved spirit which again pressured life to become conscious and bring out mind

but now it seems that the lower also calls the higher, higher pressures the lower, lower prepares, lower opens itself, it surrenders realising that i can not do much without surrender to the higher, higher pours in for a radical transformation, but if the lower clings to his life, his mundane existence, knowledge and is passions or his ego or his desire to be free or to escape then it takes longer...

i just have few quotes from The Mother: On Thoughts and Aphorisms"

If mankind only caught a glimpse of what infinite enjoyments,
what perfect forces, what luminous reaches
of spontaneous knowledge, what wide calms of our being
lie waiting for us in the tracts which our animal
evolution has not yet conquered, they would leave all
and never rest till they had gained these treasures. But
the way is narrow, the doors are hard to force, and fear,
distrust and scepticism are there, sentinels of Nature, to
forbid the turning away of our feet from her ordinary
pastures.

What men call knowledge is the reasoned acceptance of false appearances.Wisdom looks behind the veil and sees. Reason divides, fixes details and contrasts them; Wisdom unifies, marries contrasts in a single harmony.

What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion.

My soul knows that it is immortal. But you take a deadbody to pieces and cry triumphantly, “Where is your
soul and where is your immortality?"

Immortality is not the survival of the mental personalityafter death, though that also is true, but the waking
possession of the unborn and deathless Self of which body is only an instrument and a shadow.

They proved to me by convincing reasons that God didnot exist, and I believed them. Afterwards I saw God, for He came and embraced me. And now which am I to believe, the reasonings of others or my own experience?

I spent a lot of time with Buddhists in my 20's, contemplating death and impermanence. I convinced myself that I was no longer afraid of death anymore and that I had de-rooted a major cause of my dysfunctional life choices. I agreed with them that death was the motivation for most human behaviour.

Then I became seriously ill (and still am), almost dying several times. On about 10 different occasions in the past 5 years I have been faced with the choice of whether or not I want to continue -- and if I do want to continue, then I have to fight to stay alive. When your existence hanging in the balance is an intellectual conclusion you've arrived at from hours of thinking, it's a completely different matter than when your body is failing before your eyes and you are living on a razor's edge. Shit gets real, really fast. All that philosophy stuff you've been talking about your whole life... suddenly you have to put your money where your mouth is. And what I found, is that I was really, really scared.

I could see my own thoughts disappearing, my own self-concept. I would fall in and out of consciousness. My dreams would have a faded quality because my brain no longer had the resource to generate a clear image. They would even get pixelated. Your animal body will make you fight. Not only that, you realize the things in your life you have avoided, like unresolved traumas. I spent all those years contemplating death and impermanence, all the while avoiding the traumatized parts of myself that were the *actual* parts controlling my life. I couldn't see them clearly until death was near and I could see all that I had not taken care of within myself. That's where the real fear came in. I was dying unresolved and worse yet these problems had very real solutions. I had to fight to live.

But... like anything... it's just an experience. When an experience is new, it's exhilarating or scary, but when you've been through it enough times it has an air of predictability. Now I'm not as afraid of dying this way. I am just so tired of it that I've made an ultimatum with god/the universe/whomever that if living in a body means dealing with this hell forever, then no thank you. I won't stand for it any longer, so offer me a real solution or otherwise just off me already. No more half-measures.

I've spent the past 5 years cycling in and out of the death zone, each time forgiving myself and more and more people in my life. Going back to early experiences that guided me to the adult I have become, my functionality and dysfunctionality. I feel pretty done now.

And yet I still get scared as a passenger in vehicles. I brace for impact. I still sometimes get scared of the dark, being alone in it, with nobody to talk to. I fear things that have no rational reason for fear. Death though... I dunno. The more the pendulum swings back and forth the more that this place just feels like a dream, a dream which will eventually end; and when death happens, it's just another dream. It's one continuous thing that never ends, whether I'm the witness or not.

Honestly, I just don't care anymore. I don't mean that in an an apathetic way. I just mean, the questions don't matter.

yea thats the experience that i have every time i see and feel the infinite within,

when you turn on that switch and boundaries disappear and you come face to face with that ineffable,

your ego shivers and all your fears come to surface

all you want is to get back to 'normal life'

that shows that you're not ready,

but still im not fading away, im trying to get ready...

Last edited:
After all, aren't all the physical distractons we consume ourselves with just another way to avoid having to ponder our mortality?

well this forum is for spirituality and philosopy, and as part of that all we do is ponder our morality and the philosophical conclusion is that we are immortal in reality, and our body is actually immortal but currently for the purposes of individual evolution it has formed the mortal law of matter, but this is not the everlasting law...

there are two solutions:

1) find the immortal Self and escape of withdraw to it, leaving your body

2) find the immortal Self and also find the Ishwara who is the master of the world and live to transform the body and conquer death

and the philosophical conclusion is that we are immortal in reality, and our body is actually immortal but currently for the purposes of individual evolution it has formed the mortal law of matter, but this is not the everlasting law.

This is more nonsense IMO. That is not the "Philosophical conclusion" at all. That's your personal conclusion and maybe it's just your insecurity about that that makes you talk like it's the conclusion for the rest of us. Not to mention you don't have a shred of real evidence to back your "philosophical" conclusions.

Last edited:
I believe in an immortal soul, and I'm terrified of death. Each time I thought I might die filled me with ridiculous terror and selfish desperation. I would rage on people to call an ambulance, for example. Now I ponder these days, am I a coward? Or was it just a biological drive that causes me to cling to life, or the last answer is am I not philosophically sound enough to be comfortable with death?

We are all cowards. Read Denial of Death by Ernest Becker. It's built right in. Some hide it well but it's there. IMO Becker blows the lid off the vital lie.

We are all cowards. Read Denial of Death by Ernest Becker. It's built right in. Some hide it well but it's there. IMO Becker blows the lid off the vital lie.

I have had general anesthesia several times in my life in the past. I was never afraid. This past week when I had to go under for the broken bone I became almost panicked about dying. It was very surprising, unexpected and I even convinced myself that it must mean I was having a premonition that I was going to die. I managed to get myself calmed down the morning of the surgery with meditation. Then the surgery got delayed for hours and I had a mini meltdown lying there prepped and ready to go for hours. But here I am and I am now wondering if all that fear was because I am older.

Yeah our fears usually intensify with age. As we see the body actually start to change and even begin to break down we become more aware of the reality of our personal demise.

To put this another way...

Birth is consciousness identifying with the body-mind.
Death is consciousness disidentifying from the body-mind.

Consciousness is present all throughout, the only seemingly different (but unreal) thing is the body and mind which contain memory, which allow for the complex story of "I" to take place. When the body dies, "I" goes with it, along with all the other stories, attachments, and things you think of as "me".

I don't know for sure what lies beyond death but I know that part is true. Most spiritual and psychological systems in the world aren't addressing the original consciousness we came in as when trying to resolve trauma or achieve awakening. They mostly all just bypass the problem and make the ego feel more important, validated, etc.

The present consciousness can only be resonant, loving, blissful, connected. Anything else that is dissonant is not real. So what I understand is that when we die, all the baggage of "I" that obscures that clarity is gone, and we are just being in pure reality... the only reality that was ever actually happening. What we think of as life is just Consciousness temporarily trading itself in for a body-mind identification.