• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Found a bottle of pentobarbital

Psyke

Bluelighter
Found about 20 grams of pentobarbital at my work.... [C11H17N2O3Na] Never thought i'd ever get to try any type of barbituate seeing as i was born in the early 90's.

the bottle says it expired in 2009, but the powder is still a fine shiny white; if anything i would presume a small potency loss.

My questions haha... are as follows:

Who out there has actually tried this old school compound?

Is there any reason this would be sitting around in a laboratory? Does it have a practical use in the lab?

Is there any reason the degradation of this product could increase potency or lethality?

Note: i am already fully versed on the execution history of pentobarbital. I will begin shulgin-esque dosing today.

Should be just fine. Never tried pentobarbital, but have tried barbital itself, a longer acting barb, although not shitty like phenobarb.

You need to be really careful with barbs-tolerance to the desired effects arises but the LD:50 does not rise with it. So don't use it often, and don't mix it with depressants, it'll kill you pretty effectively if it does. Lab use, probably was used as a PH buffer, in a free barbituric acid/its sodium salt system. Thats where my barbital, about 30g of the stuff, came from when I got hold of some.

For comparison, from my experience with barbital, it was really enjoyable, but definitely stuff to be careful with, really fucking careful. But, they are enjoyable. Make sure not to forget how much you've taken since the barbs are really amnestic, being not just GABAa positive allosteric modulators at the barb/chlormethiazole/picrotoxin site. But they are also AMPA receptor antagonists or negative allosteric modulators (not sure if they are competitive antagonists for the glutamate binding site or if they are negative allosteric modulators), and think of that as AMPAkine nootropic in reverse. Although highly recreational they will do a number on your memory, so writing the quantity had on the back of your hands isn't a bad idea if needs be, to prevent you getting wasted, then taking more and forgetting you'd already GOT shit-faced.

@ Limpet

I appreciate the response. Theres almost no reports out there of people using this compound, probably because it was popular before the internet existed i would imagine.

Dosed a 1mg allergy test yesterday, and just dosed 15mg today as a second test before going further. If no problems arise i will probably attempt 100mg later tonight and report back.

Interesting about the PH buffer, that makes sense as to why we'd have it in stock for the most part, except for the fact that theres many other buffers you could use instead that aren't CII.

I've done three different barbitals that I too found from decades prior.

Be careful with dosing. I found them to be much less forgiving than benzos in that I almost literally could not wake up the next morning from a moderate dose, I was out so hard. My friend as well. 12+ hours later.

It's a much more full experience than benzos from what I remember, more euphoric and fun.

Enjoy :)

Interesting about the PH buffer, that makes sense as to why we'd have it in stock for the most part, except for the fact that theres many other buffers you could use instead that aren't CII.

The original barbital (i.e. diethylbarbitone aka "Veronal") used to be somewhat common as a pH buffer. Not sure if pentobarbital was ever used for the same purpose to a significant extent. Diethylbarbitone was pretty weak as a sedative (I believe an active dose was around ~1000mg) and consequently relatively cheap, so suppose it shouldn't be too surprising that it got repurposed as a buffer material. But even barbital buffers have virtually disappeared at this point, precisely for the reason that it is now a controlled substance pretty much everywhere, and we have lots of alternatives with similar pKa values.

It is more likely IMO that the pentobarbital was used as a reference material for doing drug detection experiments, or maybe for euthanizing rats and other animals if your lab ever used any.

Psyke-just the best guess, afterall, thats where LC scored his tub of barbital (free acid, the original barbital, veronal/5,5-diethylbarbiturate) and it was used as a PH buffer.

It was a long lasting one alright, but unlike pheno it was immensely recreational, and oh boy was it ever the kind of downer that turns you into a mushy grinning heap. And for getting to sleep when all else, be it the shitty Z-drugs, benzos, chloral/analogs of it, cannabinoids, even chlormethiazole, barbital would get one to sleep where all these and more (E.g opiates) had failed.

But don't overuse, don't get a physical dependence on them either, and certainly don't fr.ex get nicked whilst on the stuff because that when left untreated by filth/jail etc. could do permanent excitotoxic damage IMO. AMPA agonism+GABAa antagonism/inverse agonism type combined effect would be the perfect storm to cause somebody physical brain deterioration.

And whilst not the most weight-potent, on a per-mg basis, its still potent stuff alright, in terms of what a properly active dose will DO to you. In that sense it is much, much more powerful than ANY benzo will or could EVER be. Stuff (veronal) has a kick like a horse.

15mg had no effect.

80 mg followed by a 55mg supplement provided a nice light "drunk".

Seems the sweet spot for this one would be going right for a 150mg dose next time.

How dangerous is pentobarbital to drink a few beers on? I know downers + downers = trouble but i was wondering the extent of damage 2 tecates could cause while under the barb influence.

Yeah be safe with it...

Someone can correct me if im wrong but in pretty sure pento- is the same as nembutal which is used sometimes for euthanasia...

Definitely do some thorough research if you plan on experimenting....

Drinking on barbs is both stupid as fuck and completely pointless. Alcohol is a GABAergic and antiglutamatergic, so are barbs. Only in the case of barbs, the effect is so, SO much stronger it can and will slap you stupid without the effects of so much as a drop of alcohol. It just isn't necessary

Yeah be safe with it...

Someone can correct me if im wrong but in pretty sure pento- is the same as nembutal which is used sometimes for euthanasia...

Definitely do some thorough research if you plan on experimenting....

Yes pentobarbital can be used for euthanasia.

I haven't said anything so far, but you need to stop fucking around with this stuff. A theraputic dose is closer to ≈16 mg... You could easily kill yourself with this stuff

I haven't said anything so far, but you need to stop fucking around with this stuff. A theraputic dose is closer to ≈16 mg... You could easily kill yourself with this stuff

I said i did 1mg one day, followed by 15mg the next day, followed by a final later cumulative dose of 120mg 5 hours following.

This is not phenobarbital, the therapeutic dose easily exceeds 100mg. You could easily kill yourself with your mislabeling

Not sure why you deleted a thread with so many responses, OP. Let me know, as I've undeleted.

To say PENTO- barbital, not PHENO-barbital. NEMbutal not LUMinal.

The first one summons the angel of death to take KittyKitty to that eternal fresh laundry basket in the sky. The second, an angel come to embrace my swollen meninges in their Styrofoam blocks, cradle my broken restrained body and gently lift me from the ER gurney. She glides up on white wings into golden light and I was at fucking peace, I tell you what, for the first time in months. Truly amazing stuff.

Anyway, not that one, the other one, pentobarbital, with a duration of action of 15 minutes.

(But both of them are listed as ~2-6mg/kg for insomnia/ sedation, so I'd agree with the 100mg+ dosing.)

There's no explanation, but it's listed as NPO, so you'd have to IV or IM.

For mystery chemicals found in a random jar, that you'd have to inject, only to pass out for fifteen minutes; I just don't see the recreational potential in a pre-anesthesia sedative. Maybe it could be like Flatliners and while you're asleep for fifteen minutes you can "cross-over" and speak with all the euthanized pets. That could be valuable if you ask them where their owners stashed their drugs.

For mystery chemicals found in a random jar, that you'd have to inject, only to pass out for fifteen minutes; I just don't see the recreational potential in a pre-anesthesia sedative. Maybe it could be like Flatliners and while you're asleep for fifteen minutes you can "cross-over" and speak with all the euthanized pets. That could be valuable if you ask them where their owners stashed their drugs.

:) You know I initially wanted to comment that the only Pentobarbital I ever saw was for euthanasia. I passed on it. I worked for a vet back in the late 80's. It was the only time I tried and realized ketamine is only good a few times and passed on that too after a few tries. But the thought using a euthanasia for a high really scared me for some reason. And I was a druggy. Couldn't do it.

The only barbitals that I thought were recreational were Secobarbital, Nembutal, Tuinal and Amobarbital. Phenobarbital is a different animal and I almost could not feel it yet passed out. They were prescribed a lot more years ago. I remember when benzos were going to take the place of barbs. People sighed as benzos were not anywhere near as recreational.

My bad I missed the lack of an H.... I still stand by my statement not to fuck with this compound

Dear y'all, both PHENObarbitone and PENTObarbitone are used for euthanasia. Just be careful. Both are suicide drugs par excellence on all them there self-death forums.

DON'T try and inject the stuff! oral only.

Barbiturates are only soluble as the sodium or other alkali metal salts (presumably the likes of a magnesium salt would be soluble also) but its invariably the Na salts that are used in injectable preparations. They are acidic without a counterion and form ion-pairs with an alkali metal cation to give the corresponding salt of the (substituted)barbituric acid. The free acids are either insoluble or of very low solubility. Either form is active in-vivo. And pentabarbital isn't really one of those IV-only ultrashort duration drugs like say, thiopental, its got a long enough duration of effect to be orally active.

The salts are alkaline enough to cause severe tissue necrosis if used via injection and either a miss or any extravasation occurs.