• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Decarbing weed before cooking in oil?

Fornax55

Bluelighter
I keep hearing that it's important to decarb weed before cooking with it in butter?
I also keep hearing that the whole purpose of decarbing is to heat up the THC to 'activate it."
So what's the point in decarbing weed before cooking it in oil if the oil heats it up to the same temperature anyways?

I keep hearing that it's important to decarb weed before cooking with it in butter?
I also keep hearing that the whole purpose of decarbing is to heat up the THC to 'activate it."
So what's the point in decarbing weed before cooking it in oil if the oil heats it up to the same temperature anyways?

When you're cooking in oil/butter, what you are doing is a simultaneous extraction and decarboxylation If your oil temperature is too hot, you may end up degrading some THC. If your oil temperature is too loo, inefficient decarboxylation. Same thing with cooking it too long or short.

By decarbing separately - you control the time and temperature of this part of the process, likely giving you morew consisten edibles from batch to batch.

Tom