Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Everything, Everything
DVD Blurb by Shale
February 11, 2018

everything-everything-movie-poster-01.jpg

This movie was released in theaters on May 19, 2017 and then on DVD/Streaming, Aug 15, 2017. I first saw it on a 3-hour flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas on Sep 26 that year. I just watched this movie on DVD AGAIN last nite. It is one of my teen oriented, sappy love stories that I enjoy (like "Easy A" or "Warm Bodies"). Call it a comfort movie.

Also, I have to say it was a comfort to see a movie where the cute young protagonists were an interracial couple and that was not shown to be an issue between the New York teen, Olly Bright (Nick Robinson) & California teen, Maddy Whittier (Amandla Stenberg). Nor was that an issue with anyone involved with the couple.

The story is about a teen "Girl in a Bubble" Maddy, who has an immune deficiency where it would be fatal for her to encounter the normal microbes in our environment. She lives in a closed up house and has contact with only her mother, Dr. Pauline Whittier (Anika Noni Rose),

Dr. Mom & Maddy
everything-everything.20170801014852.jpg

a private duty nurse, Carla (Ana de la Reguera) and her daughter Rosa (Danube Hermosillo).

Carla & Maddy
everything-everything-113683.jpg

When Olly and his family move in next door to Maddy, both teens notice each other and start flirting from a distance. Then (coincidentally) Olly's bedroom window is across from Maddy's and they start communicating with non-verbally and eventually Olly writes his fone # and they start texting & talking.

This is when I know these two teens are gonna get together. It happened in my strawfire romance in the summer of ?65 on a resort island in Turkey with a 17-year-old Muslim girl who broke all the rules of Islam with this 20-year-old infidel, when she snuck out to meet me in the woods behind her house at nite.

In that case the teen girl had a friend intervene and set up our trysts and in this case, Carla the nurse facilitates the first meeting between these two infatuated and daring teens with the stipulation that they do not get close enuf to touch.

27867376_10156083797065480_632435328764201397_n.jpg

Which, they do of course. So, from my experience this impetuous & reckless behavior is probably spot on.

Olly & Maddy Get Close
Everything-Everything-PG.jpg

The movie progresses to even more daring meetings between the two with some consequences. So, do these two have to deal with grave consequences like the teen lovers in "The Fault in Our Stars" or "Me & Earl & The Dying Girl" (also, movies I enjoy seeing repeatedly). Well, go to Wikipedia and find out OR watch the movie and enjoy (or not).

This movie wasn't too well liked by critics. The aggregate reviews on Rotten Tomatoes only gave it a 46% Fresh, but 62% of audiences liked it. Their consensus was, "Everything, Everything should tug young adult heartstrings fairly effectively, but may not be quite engrossing enough to woo less melodramatically inclined viewers."

So, apparently this "melodramatically inclined viewer" can still tap into those feelings I had as a young adult. Good to know.

BTW, the cute actor Nick Robinson (The kid in "Jurassic World") will play the titular character in "Love, Simon" due out on Mar 16, 2018

Last edited: