• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Do people die from snorting heroin?

Malice1

Greenlighter
Most H OD deaths i hear about are from people who IV heroin but do people die from snorting it as well or is it generally safer and rarely ever happens?

of course they do. Opioid overdose is only a matter of dosage. You can die orally taking hydrocodone if the dose is sufficient, do not pretend that because you do not IV you are safe. Also - a lot of dope these days is contaminated w fentanyl. Even someone with a significant tolerance can die from snorting H/Fent mixes.

I feel as if there's an underlying/follow-up question here. Regardless OP, I truly hope you haven't been haphazardly railing away bag after bag of heroin, utterly enlivened and erroneously secure in the incorrect belief that snorting heroin(or any other opioid for that matter) can not lead to tk an OD.

No i havent. I was aware that you can OD from snorting heroin. I was told that dying from it was unlikely though. Hell i was told dying from heroin ODs in general were unlikely unless its laced with fent or mixed with some other substance like alcohol.

Of course you can die snorting heroin. You even have grossly inaccurate popular references to it, mainly Uma Thurman mistaking Saturday Night Fever's heroin for cocaine in Pulp Fiction. I have a feeling those kinetics were more than a little off, along with the dosing, especially considering she'd been honking probably very pure cocaine all night; and you do not revive someone from an opioid overdose by stabbing a syringe through their sternum and injecting adrenaline into their heart, but otherwise nearly a documentary on the overdose potential of insufflated heroin, a real harm reduction classic of the field.

One thing to remember, fentanyl and it's analogues have very high intranasal availability. Snorting heroin instead of shooting it doesn't offer any protections from murderous cheapskate dealers.

An opioid overdose can be totally survivable . . . as long as someone's around to save your ass. There have been cases this century of people overdosing and dying after drinking poppy seed tea, so please don't think your diaphragm waits to see how you took your overdose before deciding whether to keep working.

Occasionally questions like this (or about chasing/smoking heroin) come up. I'm never sure where the uncertainty comes from. But as others have said, yes, you can absolutely have a fatal overdose from snorting heroin.

Opiate OD can occur from any ROA.

It might seem like people only die from IV because by the time needles come into play the habit is probably already out of control.

IMO its just less likely with smoking, since one is continually adjusting and taking more, at a lower rate than with injecting, or railing a bolus dose. And once its in there you can't take it out, with a shot, its all in there in one sudden go, rather than more gradually topping up with a pipe full and tooting from that. Its not impossible to die. Its just made less easy.

And if fentanyls come into the equation in any other sense than 'aren't present' then that goes straight down the sewer with regards to safety. I'm a chronic pain patient, as well as familiar with some rather pure (uncut, and I could verify as much since it never left my sight after acylation) dipropionylmorphine, H, dibenzoylmorphine and the like, in strength, and it was present, could taste the H, but some came up that smoking so much as a half rice grain sized portion, 10mg or so of street powder gear was enough, for one or two tokes of the pipe to knock me out cold for several hours.)

Pretty sure it killed my connection, as well as dealers he went to, since after it surfaced, about a month and a bit later, EVERYBODY I knew that had touched it wasn't around anymore, never heard from again. And I'm bloody certain as I can be it was this stuff thats responsible, and that I think it did them all in. ALL of them. Every last person in any way buying, using, delivery lads and dealers, homeless users with high tolerances and long habits. Not heard, after that bit more than a month, of a single word from a single one. Or heard from anyone that has heard of them alive either. No deaths confirmed, nobody confirmed alive. Just gone, like a silent but lethal storm had sent a thunderbolt arcing from person to person to person, felling them all.

Of those I know of, that touched this stuff I am the only one I know to be alive. And that I put down both to knowing about fentanyl and its kin, and being by interest, I'd say a quite well read, and well-educated and aware toxicologist and pharmacologist, I recognized almost immediately from the first hit or so that there was something else than H going on there, warned both the users, dealers and had them pass the message on, also warned professionals, not who was slinging, but the fact that this stuff existed and how potent it was, duration of effect, appearance etc. so that warnings could be circulated in clinics distributing free works to the homeless etc. could put up warning signs, give verbal warnings through some covert channels, word was put around at least. But still, the epicenter of the appearance, from my perception, it was ground zero, just as effective as had a nuke gone off in the city center, with me on the other side's far outskirts to the city limits more or less it had hit. And with a bomb shelter. I'd gotten about ?140 worth of the stuff, not counting some free bags included for that in one order for the size of it, and that, had it been 100% pure dipropionylmorphine the doses that would KO me in one vaped hit, wouldn't have had any physiological effect at all, only taste perception, and the bags would have lasted me a week or so; that stuff lasted months, and one bag many days.

It's a misconception to think any way of use is less likely to cause OD for any reason besides bioavailability and absorb rate and whether or not the enough gets absorbed.

Any ROA can lead to OD and just because you have more time to notice it, more gradually approach too much, or if it comes on slower that one could be more able to prevent it. Unless one is not alone with someone else ready we narcan and a phone to call emergency service in case there's not enough narcan then one will be risking their lives using opiods.

That's why we have harm reduction tactics such as not using alone or loving by the philosophy the one can never use less, but always more so one needs to start small and titrate slowly

I OD'ed and nearly died from smoking heroin, so anything's possible. Depends on how potent the dope is, or if its cut with fent.

YES you can die rom snorting heroin... my BEST friend Panther died in Septembe... he only ever snorted it, i guess cause of all the fent laced bags people die form snorting it now... wasn't like this 7 years ago when i was bad

RIP panther