• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term depression and obsession with dxm.

iLike2Fap

Greenlighter
So ive used DXM about 5 times in the last 6 months and ive noticed a change in myself mentally. I think its mainly due to DXM but ive used crack (was a short term thing and i dont plan on using agian), weed, alcohol, tramadol, and hydrocodone. I mentioned them since they might play a role in the depression ive gotten. So recently after using 300mg continuously ive noticed myself getting depressed for mainly no reason. Im just blank minded sitting there sad for no reason. Ive noticed part of it is having to due with me being lonely since i dont fuck with any chicks. I just chill with my homies and get my paper. But recently ive been kicking it with a chick and we hook up pretty often but she goes out and parties so she aint rly loyal so that fucks with my depression and it makes me feel sad to find a perfect girl and she cant be loyal. But i dont want to be alone. Then ive noticed weed doesnt rly help with the depression anymore and get prolly a quarter zone every 2 months. So i becane obsessed with DXM since it takes away reality and i dont worry about anythinf except for making sure i dont get caught and enjoying my trip. Its also messed with my motor skills. Like sometimes its like im studdering to do something and i have difficulty doing something such as taking a paper from a teacher. And ive also noticed its been difficult to process somethings when im talking with somebody and that ive been having difficulty talking sometimes. Like ill have a brainfart on the regular and i wont be able to think or ill just straight mumble some words when i try to say them.
Anyone else noticed the same affects or similar?
What about any other anti depressant drugs that i should taking? If DXM fucks with me mentally i want to keep doing it but id be better off finding a replacement.

Hey there ilike2fap and welcome to the community! Hopefully, with time, you will be able to change your handle to "Ilike2romacechicks". Finding the right girl takes time and I'm not even going to get into it. I thought I was a hopeless junky that nobody could ever love, but I now have a thing with a girl that rivals "The Notebook" and "The Twilight Saga" combined in terms of the sheer romance and occasional blood-letting. Keep searching.

Now, onto your issue with drugs. The reaction you are experiencing would be classified as not normal. Using Dextromethorphan (DXM) a few times should certainly not produce any kind of permanent or even lasting side-effects like you describe. Also, the Opioids and Cannabis are equally unlikely to produce these side-effects.

I advise you to stop taking Dextromethorphan immediately. I'm not saying that it is definitively the root of your problem, but if we're simply looking at it from the angle of time, it would seem that your symptoms coincide with your use of DXM. I would stop right now and wait and watch to see if your condition improves.

I've never noticed any lasting cognitive effects from DXM use,(that's not to say that I don' have any, just that if I do they are unnoticeable to me)and I've used it easily over 100 times, actually probably over 200.(hard to estimate)

I completely agree with Keif' Richards, that is not normal at all and you should definitely cease use immediately.

And attempting to self-medicate depression or even just escape reality you don't like with drugs is a slippery slope. Trust me, I've been doing it on and off(mostly on) for 13 years now. Once you get started it's hard to get off and stay off. It has significantly altered my life, and not in a positive way. We are not psychiatrists. We can't tell you what medications you should or should not be taking. To attempt to do so would be highly unethical and potentially dangerous.

You may need medication, you may not, but it's definitely something that needs to be decided with a doctor. I'm not trying to lecture and/or come off like a dick at all, sorry it it seemed like that in any way.

I've never noticed any lasting cognitive effects from DXM use,(that's not to say that I don' have any, just that if I do they are unnoticeable to me)and I've used it easily over 100 times, actually probably over 200.(hard to estimate)

I completely agree with Keif' Richards, that is not normal at all and you should definitely cease use immediately.

And attempting to self-medicate depression or even just escape reality you don't like with drugs is a slippery slope. Trust me, I've been doing it on and off(mostly on) for 13 years now. Once you get started it's hard to get off and stay off. It has significantly altered my life, and not in a positive way. We are not psychiatrists. We can't tell you what medications you should or should not be taking. To attempt to do so would be highly unethical and potentially dangerous.

You may need medication, you may not, but it's definitely something that needs to be decided with a doctor. I'm not trying to lecture and/or come off like a dick at all, sorry it it seemed like that in any way.

Very important points. I really try to stay away from advising people on their life choices, but like RDP89, I don't want to see OP self-medicating depression at an early age. Again, as my colleague has implied, self-medicating specifically (not recreational drug use, for fun) at an early age can set you up for a lifetime of self-medicating and if this is your path, it typically escalates into more powerful, more addictive drugs. Unfortunately, I even have to say the same thing about Cannabis. It's not harmful. It's not toxic, but the psychological impact of using it instead of addressing potentially painful emotions, make it a bad choice. Hell, it's better than drugs though.

Just food for thought. I'm not anti-Cannabis in any way, shape or form. I just want to see you do well OP.

Honestly your life sounds kind of depressing so I'm not saying dxm is helpful but I'd probably be depressed too. Ever consider making a major change? Like moving or making new friends? Or even just a sports league or something?

Typically, addicts are well-aware of the potential for these things. We often are addicted to drugs because the conventional things that make normal people happy are either uninteresting to us or off the table because they are out of our reach.

I'm not saying your suggestion isn't warranted, but it's often difficult for these people to do these things, hence the isolation and associated drug use.

Thanks all for the replys. I surround myself with positive stoners and i listen to positive third eye and enlightening music all the time so im kind of at my peak to achieve natural medication other than meditating and such. Last night a girl ik came home from a party and she was extremely drunk and had a panic attack and she kept trying walk to a overpass to jump off but i kept stopping her and then when i finally got her sort of calmed down we went back to the pad and she kept grabing knives. Its the morning now tho and shes ok. Its put alot of stress on me so i plan on taking a dxm trip to clear my mind this week. Ive noticed it treats me the same as ayahuasca treats some people. It brain washes me and im calm and relaxed the day after my trip and my mind is clear of all the bad things. Im going to take a few more trips on DXM and try to notice if there will be any after affects once i go sober from it for 2 months. Thanks for helping people :)

If you're going to do it again, I can't stop you, but if your situation is truly as you describe, you really need to consider not using it at all anymore. I'm just saying it because you came to us with a fairly serious issue regarding the after-effects of Dextromethorphan, but now you seem to be fairly non-chalant about using it again.

The effects produced by drugs like Ketamine (Ketaset, others) PCP (Phencyclidine) and Dextromethorphan (DXM, OTC cough suppressants) are due to N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NDMA) receptor antagonism. The jury is kind of out on the potential for neurotoxicity, but it has been witnessed in controlled settings in animals. I know that's not great information, but there seems to be a lot of information pointing to some of these drugs producing neurotoxicity. It would seem that PCP and DXM have a higher rate of neurotoxicity than Ketamine, but again, the jury is kind of out. The damage caused is known as Olney's Lesions.

NMDA receptor antagonists could be bad news, but the jury is out. That's not to say that you could be having a severe reaction or that some kind of genetic anomaly is causing you to have these lasting symptoms. Consider the fact that you could be doing serious harm to your body. I say serious harm, because this sort of thing is typically not observed.

It's your choice buddy, but I would advise against it. By the way, the antidepressant effects of drugs like Ketamine have been confirmed, but really, they need to be administered in a certain way, apparently, to make them truly effective. It's not like shooting a dissociative dose of Ketamine is going to cure your depression.

Any mind altering substance can definitely have an effect on your brain and cause depression, it really doesn't matter what substance it is everyone has different reactions and what causes issues for you may not cause issues for me or someone else, and vice versa. You're essentially messing with your brain chemistry and may take time to even out. That's just my take on it from my experience and from others I have seen.

Good luck and hopefully it all works out for you!!

OP, kindly, could you give us an update on your condition. I'm worried about you man. I know we're not best friends, but most of us are addicts who actually have a great deal of compassion for our peers. We are volunteers. We do this because we want to help people. I understand that you're depressed, but if you're having problems, please talk to one of us. We all have different experiences of course, but most of us have undoubtedly been in positions where it seems all is lost.

I got caught with a dirty rig in New Hampshire (Nazis) and they slapped a felony on me. I went to jail and withdrew on a metal slab for days. I was shitting and vomiting and I had a fucking pure evil celly who told me I had to stop all of it or he was gonna beat me down. So, I was in college at the time and final exams were about to come around. I had a court appearance and I pleaded with the judge to let me go and take my finals. No dice, went back to jail, missed my finals, forfeited approximately $9,000.

I was so sure I was going to kill myself. If I had the means in that cell, I am sure I would have. All was lost. Well, the case got thrown out because it was bullshit. No felony. I have a completely clean record, but before that, I was hopeless. I wanted to die. You know what though? I got through it and I pretty much sobered up. My life got better and I'm not a certified teacher doing what I love.

There is hope for you. You can fix this. If this idiot (Myself) could do it, I am sure that you can. Please reach out if you want to talk. We've been through it brother. We're here for you and we'll do anything in our power to help you.

Dxm use may cause depersonalization or derealization maybe try some Kratom and stop using the dxm I recommend green veins for a mood lift and reds for a more sedating/relaxing feeling. 3 grams is a good first time dosage

Thanks for the replys everybody and kief richards caring so much. Ive noticed its gotten alot better over time and im not sure but maybe i just learned to cope with it but ive had 1 mood swing and got depressed since the beginning of 2018. Ive been able to smoke ounces recently so maybe thats helping but now ive moved onto morning glory seeds which contain LSA which is very similar to LSD. I did use 600mg of dxm not too long ago and i had a good trip and no after effects. Im enjoying the shit out of these morning glorys and ive still got 2000 seeds to get threw. I began working out a month and a half ago and that definitly has helped mentally. I dont wanna say it has gone away as it can hit me anytime but it hasnt hit me in awhile for some reason. Ive still noticed im stuck with this clumsy feeling when i do stuff still.