• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

6 years of kratom and other substances

Snooopidydoo

Greenlighter
I'm here hoping to get some advice, and speak with others who have gone through similar situations.. I've read most posts about kratom WD, most appear to be older threads. Here's mine..

I've been addicted to kratom for 6 years. I've had a few short breaks here and there for taking internation trips. Each time the WD symptoms are more severe.
I've been averaging around 60 grams a day, I cant go for more than an hour without withdrawls symptoms hitting me like a bus.
I refuse to go over 60 grams in fear of getting any deeper, and if I take less than 50 the WD Symptoms gets more severe. I've developed a pretty severe eating disorder, I just won't eat because kratom won't work on a full stomach and the WD doesn't seem worth it.
Anyways I'm going to try to taper off which is a struggle almost immediately.
I'm hoping to get some tips, dos and donts.
I know what I'm in For, the WD Symptoms are far more serious than my previous oxy / tramadol symptoms.
I mainly need help with the RLS and body aches. I'm potentially on the verge of losing my wife which would be my demise.
Thank you for any advice guys and gals. I just want to be free from this slavery.

There are other folks around SL who can speak to proper comfort meds for kratom withdrawal...I assume things that help during opioid WD such as clonidine, gabapentin, loperamide, a long-acting benzodiazepine would reduce your symptoms, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aside from comfort meds, devising a workable taper seems like your main challenge/necessity. If dropping to 50g is too steep, could you start with 55 without too much pain?

How much you drop at each step in your taper is going to depend entirely on you. But my main advice is to wait a good long spell between drops. One of the most common tapering mistakes is to give into the (very understandable) urge to be done and therefore to drop too quickly. But the crucial part of tapering is allowing your body to learn how to tolerate each lower dose...if you drop before you're pretty comfortable on your new, lower dose, you won't get the softer landing that a taper aims for. Given that your habit has existed for several years, it's likely that your taper will need to go pretty slowly. That's fine though...slow and steady, man. You can do it. <3

Thank you Simco. I had just learned that a few days ago. I'm going to try and drop a gram a day, down to 48 grams a day and I'm already waking myself with RLS and just the un-easy withdrawl feeling. I have no idea why the withdrawls have gotten so serious. The last few times after 2 or 3 days the worst was gone. Now I can hardly stand a few hours. I will check out those meds, I have yet to talk to my DR. But I'm afraid I'm going to need to, to beat this thing.
I appreciate the support!

Snooopidydoo, where are you?

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm new to the site but am starting my kratom taper today. It'd be good to have a taper "buddy" or some advice from someone ahead of me in this mess.

I've posted a giant message on this board detailing my plans but also realized in reading your posts and the response that I need to make sure I'm being very flexible. From all I've read, a lot of people find dropping around 0.5g at a time with 3 to 5 days of adjustment is a decent place to start, then change according to your response so that "normal" is your goal (no highs and very little in the way of wd). I think I'm reminding myself here as much as anything.?

I hope you're finding progress and good help.