• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Leaving Sub

johnl2

Greenlighter
Hello, this isn't my first post, I have been struggling to get off of suboxone for quite some time now. I'm just looking for something positive about leaving suboxone. I am at a point where I have been on sub for around 8 years and it's ruining my sleep at night and my significant other is going to walk if I'm not off soon. I have these episodes at night that actually have me surprised that I'm still alive. I am down to .5mg and I am scared out of my wits of being sober. It's been a long time. I've had suboxone through everything in my life for the last 8 years. I fear I do not know how to live without it. I cannot go back to the doctor because I haven't been there in months and if I miss any month of going, they charge me for every month I was absent. Nice, huh? So it would cost over a grand to go back to the doctor. Not that I want to anyway. I'm done, I have to be. Their greed actually did me a favor. I just need something positive to put my mind to when it comes to being 100% sober. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

sobriety is much better than being on bupe long term; there's nothing to be afraid of, all its really doing is keeping you out of wds and not much else. once you finish tapering and spend some time off it you should feel a lot better.

sobriety is much better than being on bupe long term; there's nothing to be afraid of, all its really doing is keeping you out of wds and not much else. once you finish tapering and spend some time off it you should feel a lot better.

Thank you for your motivating words. It is miserable being on bupe. I turned into a hermit doing my own things not wanting to be bothered with anything else. I get a sort of focus on whatever it is I'm doing and become obsessed with it. For instance, I started building a turbine engine from scratch. It became an obsession and I was more interested in it over anything else. And I did like it. I feel I will miss it. As I taper, I feel more and more useless to the world. But I've been sober before and I am looking forward to it. Thanks again.

The feelings you're describing (e.g. uselessness) are totally natural as you decrease your sub dose. There are both physiological and psychological reasons for this. But the important thing to focus on (if you can) is that the feelings are temporary, at least for the most part. You will almost surely feel steadily less crummy over time.

And while your body is seeking equilibrium, I also recommend working to find some sources of support for your ongoing sobriety. For some people, NA/AA works for this. Other people feel better by pursuing/embracing a rich social life or a hobby/vocation they're passionate about. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's much easier to remain off opioids if you can fill your life with stuff that energizes you and/or satisfies you. Admittedly this can be hard to do when you're feeling beat up...keep trying; it will get easier with time.

Thank you simco, I appreciate it. I have tried AA/NA in the past and I just can't do it. It's really not for me. I prefer the latter, hobbies/vocation. And I have plenty I'm interested in, no problem there. I guess it's just getting past the 'crummy' part. But I'll get there, just gotta get past each day which might as well be a year and move forward. My problem with sub was always taking extra. Now I'm down to a tiny bit left where I do not (once again) have the luxury of coming down at a nice slow and steady pace. I always do it to myself. But at least this time I didn't go all the way, feeling all good telling myself, no big deal, I'll just take it all now and be done with it and go through the sickness like a champ!

I'll just take it all now and be done with it and go through the sickness like a champ!

don't mess up your taper. the hardest part about coming of bupe is the duration of the withdrawals, 3-4 weeks. if you can get your dose down to like 0.12mg or less every 2-3 days then you should be able to make the step to not taking any pretty painlessly, but i gather that kind of slow taper isn't really an option.

as long as you have the motivation to quit, you should be able to stick with it tho. stay strong, we're all rooting for you :)

Hello, this isn't my first post, I have been struggling to get off of suboxone for quite some time now. I'm just looking for something positive about leaving suboxone...I am down to .5mg and I am scared out of my wits of being sober. It's been a long time. I've had suboxone through everything in my life for the last 8 years. I fear I do not know how to live without it...I just need something positive to put my mind to when it comes to being 100% sober. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

John, you sound pretty motivated to quit. That's the most important thing. One thing to remember is that your basic personality hasn't been changed by the Sub. All it's doing at a low dose is keeping you from going into w/ds, as Tathra already said. So anything you handled in your life on Sub you can handle without it. That said, the trick is getting through the withdrawal, which seems to last forever when you're in it. You already are down to a pretty low dose. Do you plan on dropping lower or jumping off from your current dose? Either way you are probably going to have several weeks of withdrawals. They aren't as severe as ones from methadone or heroin, but they are long-lasting. Everyone has a different experience, from no kick at all to "the worst ever!" Average seems to be several weeks of being pretty uncomfortable, about like days 5 and 6 from heroin or Oxy, except those days last into 3 weeks or so.

A couple of things that will help a lot: Exercise and nutrition, both healthy foods and supplements. Exercise is the ONLY way your brain can learn to make endorphins again. That's one thing about being on opiates for a long time, including Sub; because the drug takes over the job of making the chemicals that make us feel good, it takes a long time, even after the first stage of withdrawal is finally over, to feel decent again because our brains have forgotten how to make the neurotransmitters that help us to feel OK. Even light exercise, like cardio, or lifting light weights or yoga, helps. I'm not an expert on supplements; some of the mods are, and can help you with ones that are helpful. Also there are a number of medications that are helpful, but I'll leave that for someone more experienced than me.

My experience has been that what was worst, besides the depression and anxiety, was the muscle cramps and restless legs. I didn't have many digestive symptoms or sinus ones, runny noses, etc. Those restless legs were really awful, though. There are plenty of prescription muscle relaxers that can help, also herbals and OTC's. The insomnia, like always from any kind of withdrawal, also sucks. I've been using melatonin, since no doctor in this town will give me benzoes, for some reason. If you can get some Xanax, Valium or Ambien, short-term, it will help. Just don't get caught up in those, because the kick from them is worse, and dangerous as well.

Don't worry about what life without Sub is going to be like, because once you get over the kick, it really isn't much different. Like I said, it doesn't change you much, except maybe to keep you very slightly sedated--my experience--but at a low dose, like you're on, it doesn't even do that. Most people prefer sobriety in the long run!