• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

vraylar & lexapro + LSD?

carypoalt

Greenlighter
I understand that SSRIs can dampen the effects of LSD, and that at least some antipsychotics can totally block LSD effects. A friend of mine had positive experiences with LSD in the past. He started taking lexapro + vraylar for PTSD recently, which has been extremely helpful. But now he would like to try LSD again, and doesn't want to go without the lexapro/vraylar for a 2 wk washout. Would taking an increased dose of LSD be effective in counteracting the dampening/blocking from his regular meds? He is less interested in visuals and more interested in the psychological aspects of a trip, if that helps.

Thanks much for your insight.

I understand that SSRIs can dampen the effects of LSD, and that at least some antipsychotics can totally block LSD effects. A friend of mine had positive experiences with LSD in the past. He started taking lexapro + vraylar for PTSD recently, which has been extremely helpful. But now he would like to try LSD again, and doesn't want to go without the lexapro/vraylar for a 2 wk washout. Would taking an increased dose of LSD be effective in counteracting the dampening/blocking from his regular meds? He is less interested in visuals and more interested in the psychological aspects of a trip, if that helps.

Thanks much for your insight.

The Lexapro shouldn't be an issue - you should be able to easily compensate for it by taking a slightly higher dose of LSD.

Vraylar, being an antipsychotic, acts as a 5HT2A antagonist, so unless he's on a really low dose, it's likely going to almost completely block the acid.

The Lexapro shouldn't be an issue - you should be able to easily compensate for it by taking a slightly higher dose of LSD.

Vraylar, being an antipsychotic, acts as a 5HT2A antagonist, so unless he's on a really low dose, it's likely going to almost completely block the acid.

Hmm. He's on 1.5 mg daily, which is the lowest dose it comes in IIRC. Is that low enough? Thanks again.

If we consider that LSD mediates its psychoactive effects primarily through 5HT2A agonism, cariprazine would make things difficult to say the least. Additionally, the ultra-long half-life of cariprazine means two weeks wouldn't even be close to long enough to completely wash out. At the top end of the half-life of its metabolite didesmethylcariprazine (2-3 weeks) it could actually take as long as 4 months to completely wash out. However, relative to it's affinity for dopamine receptors, its antagonism of 5HT2A is moderate to low. I still haven't been able to find a good article that provides actual 5HT2A receptor occupancy (%) at each dose. When considering an optimal LSD experience, the lower the occupancy and affinity of the antipsychotic the better. This would rule out the -pine's and the -done's which almost always have a higher affinity for 5HT2A than D2/D3. However, aripiprazole, brexpiprazole, and cariprazine favor the dopamine receptors, with brexpiprazole having the strongest affinity at 5HT2A.

Another thing to consider is that the escitalopram is actually to his advantage. It increases serotonin levels and would theoretically amplify the effects of LSD. Caution should be used because a combination of an SSRI and LSD could cause serotonin syndrome. However, being on escitalopram may help to cancel out some of the 5HT2A antagonism of cariprazine. (However, there is quite a bit of evidence that escitalopram reduces HTR2A gene expression which theoretically would reduce the quantity and density of 5HT2A receptors in the brain. This could be problematic.)

I wouldn't encourage anyone to go off of meds without the supervision of a doctor even for a brief period of time. At the absolute least, he would require higher doses of LSD than most people to achieve the same effect. However, being off cariprazine for a few days may theoretically allow it to disassociate a bit from the 5HT2A receptors to allow for a better experience at more reasonable doses of LSD.

Thank you both for your insightful replies. From a practical standpoint, I can now attest that he skipped 2 days of vraylar and had a successful experience with a normal dose, and has since resumed his usual med regime. I'm glad everything worked out.