Getting over introducing others to drugs

Trabbamab

Bluelighter
So I used to be a bad opioid addict but got into it on kind of an odd schedule. I used heroin and morphine IV for a couple of years before finally beginning to use it every day and becoming physically addicted. In the very beginning I was using heroin in a city that did not have on-the-corner heroin dealers and actually not much of a supply of heroin at all. I had one connection for it and she would only come through about once a month or so. I had been experimenting with meth, coke, crack and others so this just seemed like another thing to try.

But anyway, before I had felt the true fire of physical addiction I introduced several people to it. To me, it was an amazing feeling that I wanted to share with my friends. In my circle I was usually one of the more drug-knowledgeable people and a lot of my friends looked up to me for info on drugs and for drugs themselves. So when they tried it, I measured their dose and injected them.

As you can probably imagine, several of them ended up becoming addicts. Several others didn't and either used it occasionally for a while before completely stopping or never even took up an offer from me again. But of the ones who did become addicted, several of them went hard into it. One thing I did not know about my city was how readily available high-dose prescription pills were. This was right around the early days of the "OxyContin epidemic" around 1998 or 1999, when even most drug users did not know what they were. Most of the people I introduced that became addicts eventually made the switch over to prescription pills which were much more common in the area. This is the same switch I made that would eventually see me reaching the worst points of my addiction.

A couple people I introduced to heroin had a really tough time of it but were eventually able to get off. One is still going to the methadone clinic to this day and doesn't think they will ever get off of it. One is still actively using on the streets. Two of them died of an overdose some years later.

I have a ton of self-loathing about this and it feels like it never goes away. I imagine a lot of addicts have introduced friends to their drug of choice who went on to become addicts themselves. Do you feel guilty about it? How do you move past this? In this circle of friends everyone knows I was the one who first brought it in. We aren't close like we were years ago but we still see and talk to each other from time-to-time. They always say they don't blame me but it can be hard to understand how. In my mind I have destroyed so many lives.

We make choices in life, and we must be accountable. I used to have thoughts of harming the person that turned me on to meth years back, but that's not right. It's called ownership man. When people use hard drugs together a lot of things go out the window as far as....loyalty, but it all evens out. Live your live man.

We make choices in life, and we must be accountable. I used to have thoughts of harming the person that turned me on to meth years back, but that's not right. It's called ownership man. When people use hard drugs together a lot of things go out the window as far as....loyalty, but it all evens out. Live your live man.

I appreciate it and it is true. I never forced anyone to take it or tricked anyone into trying something they normally wouldn't. But particularly when it comes to the people who OD'd, it is tough to not think that they would still be here if I hadn't offered.

I appreciate it and it is true. I never forced anyone to take it or tricked anyone into trying something they normally wouldn't. But particularly when it comes to the people who OD'd, it is tough to not think that they would still be here if I hadn't offered.

If people are that intrigued enough already then they're most likely going to find a way to get it no matter what IME

If people are that intrigued enough already then they're most likely going to find a way to get it no matter what IME

Thank you and I have entertained that thought as well. Although heroin was extremely rare and maybe even "exotic" in my city, the prescription pill epidemic was beginning to grab the area by the throat. So there is a good chance if they were that willing to try IV heroin that they would have just ended up trying OxyContin or something a couple of years later.

That is probably the thing that helps the most. There were tons of addicts in the area who did not get started from me (we had one methadone clinic per 100,000 people which I believe is a staggering ratio compared to most other places). That is the thing I try to tell myself when I get stuck on this.

But there is always that little part of you that doesn't quite believe you.

its only natural to want to introduce your friends to activities you enjoy. getting high together can be a really fun bonding experience too, no matter the substance.

I have a ton of self-loathing about this and it feels like it never goes away.

you shouldnt let it eat you up. even if you hadnt personally introduced them, its likely they would have found their way into trying drugs at some point anyway. provided you didnt really push and push to try to convince them and basically just causally offered it to them, then the worst you did was open the door, people are responsible for their own actions, and there's certainly nothing wrong with exploring various states of consciousness and enjoying all life has to offer.

my viewpoint is that all experiences are good, no matter how shitty it may be to actually go through it at the time, so even the times i've hit rock bottom from my use, its all gone into shaping me to be a better and more well-rounded person. we make mistakes so we can learn from them, and everyone makes lots of mistakes throughout their lives, so plenty of opportunities to grow and learn; and thats what you should view these events as, events that you've learned from and know not to repeat, and you can use that knowledge to help others from making the same mistakes you made.

Did you hold a gun to thier head and force them to do these drugs?
No?

Then they would've found them regardless, don't let it eat you up man.

^Exactly.

I understand your feeling to some degree, but having been introduced by others to heroin many years ago (after seeking it the fuck out) I certainly don't blame whoever introduced me to it. I don't really know any addict who blames anyone else but themselves (rightly, tbh) for their addiction. Its natural for you to feel guilt, but you aren't the cause of these people's woes. We are pretty much solely responsible for our fate IMO.

My husband feels tremendous guilt for getting me into the pills. He works in construction and a lot of guys were into the pills for back problems and to help them work longer hours . He told me how happy they made him and how much energy he got from them so of course I wanted to try ; and oh yeah they were awesome, happily cleaning my house , nice and bubbly for social outings , after the high slept like a baby ! Loved everything about them ; till we run out of them of course . Nightmare. We dont have a rx so the amount of money we have spent is ridiculous. I dont blame him but it pisses me off when he gets a attitude when I tell him im out of pills and need more, he makes me feel ashamed and I have to kiss his ass. Terrible cycle.

It's called ownership man.
The only one responsible for drug use is the person doing the drugs. It doesn't matter if someone gave it to them. THEY are the ones taking it and making that choice.

Thank you everyone! I am taking all this to heart and will work on the guilt I feel over it. You are all right. I didn't force them to do it.

My husband feels tremendous guilt for getting me into the pills. He works in construction and a lot of guys were into the pills for back problems and to help them work longer hours . He told me how happy they made him and how much energy he got from them so of course I wanted to try ; and oh yeah they were awesome, happily cleaning my house , nice and bubbly for social outings , after the high slept like a baby ! Loved everything about them ; till we run out of them of course . Nightmare. We dont have a rx so the amount of money we have spent is ridiculous. I dont blame him but it pisses me off when he gets a attitude when I tell him im out of pills and need more, he makes me feel ashamed and I have to kiss his ass. Terrible cycle.

Ouch! Sorry you are going through that. That is actually a scenario I never experienced, where I was living with someone who either introduced me to it or I introduced to it. That seems like big problem bubbling under the surface. If it ever does explode some time, maybe it would help to explore the issue in couple's therapy. I haven't done it but one of my best friends did and he loved it. He said it was like talking through problems with a referee to keep you on track and to keep things as positive as possible.

I hope things get better for you!

No offense but if you helped introduce the drug to people then you are partially responsible for the fallout. I'm sorry if I cause offense by this.

This seems like an important place to talk about the difference between remorse and responsibility and guilt and the shame it engenders. Feeling badly about one's role in another's damaging behavior is evidence that you have a conscience. A conscience is your own moral compass and a person that loses the relationship with their own knowledge of right and wrong is a very damaged and damaging person. But getting stuck in guilt is not only useless but it presupposes that you have control over things you do not actually have control over--like someone trying a drug. At my son's memorial (death from an overdose) I was aware that many of his friends, not to mention my other dear son, his brother, were probably experiencing just such guilt; after all, they all started experimenting with drugs together. Most of them either stopped or moderated their use as they got older but a few were as deep in trouble with drugs as my son was. It was important to me to reach out to those young people and to reiterate what we all knew about my late son: he was going to do whatever he was going to do and nothing would stop him once he decided he was going to do it. Did this mean that none of us should feel remorse for any of our actions or inactions? No. Remorse is a very honest emotion. But feeling guilt does nothing positive, not to mention the role of guilt and shame in addiction. I know his best friend still suffers from guilt and I would love to be able to convince him otherwise. I think he knew my son better than anyone and someday I think he will be able to let go of the guilt. I hope so because I miss him in our lives.

No offense but if you helped introduce the drug to people then you are partially responsible for the fallout. I'm sorry if I cause offense by this.

In the grand scheme of things, we are partially responsible for pretty much everything from environmental crisis to wars abroad, because of the choices we did and didn't do. The important thing is not to let these things eat you up from the inside, but instead to think how how to make things better moving forward.

What if these people who were curious about injecting heroin/morphine had instead been been introduced to them by someone who got the dose wrong, resulting in OD's and possibly even death? Would it be a relief for the OP that he wasn't directly responsible, or would he be partially responsible for their hypothetical deaths if he didn't give them a relatively safe introduction? These questions are difficult as hell, that's why I propose not to dwell on them too much, to accept the consequences from what has happened and to try to make things better.

In the grand scheme of things, we are partially responsible for pretty much everything from environmental crisis to wars abroad, because of the choices we did and didn't do. The important thing is not to let these things eat you up from the inside, but instead to think how how to make things better moving forward.

What if these people who were curious about injecting heroin/morphine had instead been been introduced to them by someone who got the dose wrong, resulting in OD's and possibly even death? Would it be a relief for the OP that he wasn't directly responsible, or would he be partially responsible for their hypothetical deaths if he didn't give them a relatively safe introduction? These questions are difficult as hell, that's why I propose not to dwell on them too much, to accept the consequences from what has happened and to try to make things better.

This is a great post. Thanks for the wise words, FnX; my favorite being, "try to make things better". We all make tragic mistakes--tragic for ourselves and/or tragic for others (what if you had gotten in a car high and killed someone? How do you go forward?). I just listened to a great podcast of people in San Quentin for life with no possibility for parole. They had all had to come to terms with some pretty harsh and consequential mistakes and though they had no external reason at all to ever face them and go through the the pain of remorse, their internal integrity caused them to try to figure out how to go forward as human beings. They were a pretty inspiring group. You have to be willing to offer forgiveness and redemption to yourself. You cannot change the past but no matter what has happened you can continue to believe in yourself and your own possibility as a human being. If you don't, who will?

Think of it as a gun, it can be used for good and evil. The gun does not kill, the gun carrier kills.

I think of my mistakes as great learning experiences. They are only something to cause grief if they are repeated. A mistake isn't something to beat oneself over; rather, it should be used to uplift oneself, they should provide guidance and learning. It just happens that some lessons are really difficult to learn.

Thank you, herbavore and FnX. Both of those really do help a lot and really put things in perspective.