• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

have any of you used gabapentin for opiate withdrawal?

DaveNeedsToTaper

Bluelighter
Hey guys this is my third post. I just saw online that gabapentin can help opiate withdrawals but i havnt found any first hand stories on it.

I have 9 refils of 300mg gabapentin still. I was prescribed awhile ago but never picked another bottle up. I have kratom and it hasnt seemed to work very well. But tomorrow i will have no more oxy left. I am perscribed oxy but always run out eairly bc im an idiot.

Ive been on oxy around a year and a half or so. Some days going uo to 160mg.

Should i go pick up gabapentin? Will it help alot with withdrawal? Can i take it with kratom and hope that does the trick? Im so sick and tried of going threw withdrawal. The emotional part is the worrrrst. Pannic attack awhile randomly crying and ugh. Cant handle it. Its pushed me to the edge many times.

Please, help.

Gabapentin works quite well for the WDs but of course you might need Imodium for diarrhea if shit happens.

Remember to space out taking doses of gabapentin as the absorption is greatly diminished the more you take at once. Take one pill every hour until you feel well enough to do your daily stuff but don’t overdo it.

I used pregabalin which is quite similar for withdrawals mostly but have used gabapentin too for that.

I used pregabalin which is quite similar for withdrawals mostly but have used gabapentin too for that.
Also if you can get it Pregabalin is way stronger. What Kratom do you have? i always find the meang da or any red to be the most opiate like. For the panic benzo's are king.

Hey there Dave! I see that you're a fairly green member, so I'd like to give you a hearty welcome to our den of inequity! We are happy to have you and moreso, I'm happy to see that you're discovering the utility of Gabapentinoids for Opioid withdrawal.

To me, they are the gold standard. Personally, I get Pregabalin (Lyrica), but Gabapentin (Neurontin) works almost as well. The primary disadvantage with Gabapentin is that it requires protocol to be used effectively, whereas Pregabalin can just be taken regardless of stomach contents.

For myself and many others, one of the most insidious aspects of withdrawal are the Restless Legs. Sure, there's a lot of other stuff going on, but that restless feeling is by far, my worst symptom. Luckily, this symptom is addressed by Gabapentin. If you get the right dose of Gabapentin in you, you can eliminate your Akathisia completely. I'm including a link to a guide for the administration of Gabapentin. Read over it and make sure you know what you're doing, because it can easily be wasted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/3n5t6k/the_ultimate_guide_to_using_gabapentin/

Good luck. Gabapentin is a life-saver for withdrawal.

Hello, Dave!
Yea, I use Gabapentin daily. Sometimes I take it to alleviate the neg aspects of reducing my opiate/opioid intake. I find it does as mentioned, taking away Restless Leg Syndrome. I have been prescribed both Pregabalin and Gabapentin and personally prefer the latter. IDK why, probably all the cannabis I use, but Pregabalin makes me very emotional and depressed. I don't have any of that effect from the Gabapentin, but that's just me. Both will help the opiate withdrawal. I was on 600mg/day of Pregabalin and am now on 1200mg/day of Gabapentin. FYInfo. :\

thank you all for replying and going in depth. I have 300mg gabapentin pills and red bali kratom (although it is green in colour)

Im hoping this will help . im very worried because when i withdrawal im a complete mess and fast. Im really worried but we will see how it goes :/ ugh this is going ro suck

Okay so i just finished my third pill with a few slices of ham and spicy mustard. Have been sipping a bit of ginerale. Its 12am right now so i hoope it doesnt take 4 hours. So far when i took it last night.. I took 600mg then 300. And i woke up havingto pee but i was extreammmly thirsty... And dizzy. I also was withdrawaling prettt bad so i took some meds and passed out till 5pm.

Hoping this way will not be like that

Step back and take a deep breath dude. You've got this and I'm confident that you will not end up breaking down. You are capable of more than you think and the anxiety of impending withdrawal is causing you to become weak. It is a shitty thing, but you have to power through it and you will. I have faith in you and I have faith that the withdrawal that you are so afraid of is going to be much more mild than what you're expecting.

The Gabapentin is your friend. It is going to be the most important medication that you can acquire. I don't know about you, but restless legs is my most troublesome symptom, so having a drug that mitigates is just amazing.

I wake up with the RLS.. Butike its in my shoulders and back on neck.m its so weird.

My friend of mine gave me a pharmacy bottle (stock bottle) og gabapentin she somehow had... Wouldnt tell me how..

Its 135 pills of 600mg gabapentin... White pills. I notices however ot says expired a year ago.. Im sure theyre still good?

And thank you for you kind words and positive energy . im hoping ill be okay... My friend gave me some oxy today bc i was breaking out. Out of nowhere i just freak out have a panic attack seep in slowly with depression instead of just fear. It gets very intense and idk why... My firdt time withdrawaling (didnt kno i was addicted) i had an extreamly upset stomach, i was sweatting like crazy on my forehead and hands. Then my stomach was cramping soooo bad..... Then my next time my aching legs just drove me insane.. Thats all withdrawals were for awhile. Now its thr aching/restless neck and shoulders that wake. Me up.

If i take gabapentin 600mgs, will it stop rls in like 45 mins? Or do i have to take one then 30 mins later another then 30 mins another and have to wait 4 hours to feel anything? Last night i tried taking 300,300 then 300 and ate a few peieces of ham. And at around 3 am i felt weiiirrrrdd.. Then my body felt amazing... Then i was like thinking so diffrently and it was just crazy cool.

I wonder if i take 600,600,600 itll do the same

Hey Dave, I'm really sorry I'm late on this. I know you need prompt answers considering your current state.

So, you've gotten over one hurdle, being that Gabapentin (Neurontin) effects you in a positive way. This is not the case for everyone. Some report feelings ranging from severe dizziness to dysphoria. We are on the right track.

Given that you have had success with the lower dose that you have described, I see no reason to double it and in fact, doing so would be detrimental to your recovery, as a hallmark of these drugs (Gabapentinoids) is that tolerance develops at an exponential rate. You are going to need the positive benefits from Gabapentin for several days and you need to do everything in your power to keep tolerance at bay. I know you want to have fun and feel good, but by doing so, one can easily reach a near-impenetrable level in just 3-4 days.

What you should do now, is respect the benefit that you receive from Gabapentin. Love it, cherish is and most importantly, don't abuse her. She is a strong-willed, independent and modern woman and will not stand for it. Keep your dosage at the level in which you are fairly comfortable and can sleep/eat/hydrate etc. It sounds like the 900mg in divided doses is working splendidly so let's wait until you get tolerant to the effects to increase the dosage.

Can I ask how long you are experiencing relief for? I really try to collect all of the anecdotal evidence I can regarding this drug, as its effects are so varied. I would appreciate it. Both you and the community can benefit from this information so thank you!

I've no experience with Gabepentin, but I can tell you that Pregabalin (which is very similar) stops me from withdrawing AT ALL.

I'm taking 80mg of methadone a day, however if I have a 300mg Pregabalin I often completely forget to take my methadone dose because I'm not feeling any withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not Rx'd it but I know someone who is and I believe it is a miracle drug for opiate withdrawals, IME it completely eliminates them.