• ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
The Shape of Water
Movie Blurb by Shale
February 4, 2018

This movie has been playing since the end of December and I have heard of the good reviews as well as personal accounts of how good it is, so today being a perfect weather day for a long bike ride to the Cinema, I took off and caught an early matinee at AMC, Aventura.

Spape%20of%20the%20Water5.jpg

As you may have heard, this is a love story between a woman and an amphibious humanoid creature from the Amazon. If that sounds like shades of the 1954 horror film The Creature from the Black Lagoon, it is. Director Guillermo del Toro was moved by that movie from his childhood and later wanted to explore a love relationship between the creature and the leading lady.

This movie is set in 1962 during the Cold War (and my adolescence). It was nice seeing familiar sets of a lifestyle and things that I remember. In fact the sets are beautifully quaint and there is the whole feeling that this is a fantasy but at the same time the characters are going thru real dramatic moments. In the first opening scene of Elisa Esposito (Sally Hawkins) going thru her morning routine in a cramped, run down old apartment building in Baltimore, you soon get reminded that this is an R-rated movie by Guillermo del Toro (and, of course in later scenes there will be blood).

Elisa is mute but can hear and has an older, gay male friend in the next apartment, where she has a key to check on him. He is Giles (Richard Jenkins) a struggling artist whose work is out of vogue.

rv-ff-water-feature1207rv01.JPG

Elisa works as a custodian at a secure government aquatic studies facility and her friend at work is Zelda Delilah Fuller (Octavia Spencer).

Interrogation by Col. Strickland
merlin_130395977_4d9d8440-bc88-4897-beb2-bc0931840252-master675.jpg

One day a new specimen from the Amazon is brot in by the security chief, Col. Richard Strickland (Michael Shannon), whom you know is gonna be a bad guy. Well, that is the set up where you do know that Elisa befriends the Creature who is being treated badly by Col. Strickland and from there it gets into more action, laced with Soviet spy subterfuge and a little racism and other bigotry of the early '60s.

zxfxyulnh3aqdmeqw3og.png

I really enjoyed this movie and will likely see it again on DVD later. The aggregate reviews on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 92% Fresh and 78% of audiences liked it. Their consensus was, "The Shape of Water finds Guillermo del Toro at his visually distinctive best and matched by an emotionally absorbing story brought to life by a stellar Sally Hawkins performance "

This may be its last week in theater and I would recommend seeing it.

Last edited:
I loved it ! So endearing. I have seen crimson tide but now I want to see his other movies as well especially pans labyrinth. Watched shape of water with my 16 year old daughter and she loved it as well. Highly recommend.