• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why MDMA got banned in the U.K. - & elsewhere?

JacksinPA

Bluelighter
I have a friend in the U.K. who is a retired medical doctor who worked for the U.K. anti-doping agency that deals with athletes. He told me that the reason MDMA got banned in the U.K. was that people were dying from a nasty condition called hyponatremia, which is very low salt levels in the blood. You can die from this condition, & people were dying from it at raves. Here is the article on this that I found: http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/6/1852.full

Jack

I have a friend in the U.K. who is a retired medical doctor who worked for the U.K. anti-doping agency that deals with athletes. He told me that the reason MDMA got banned in the U.K. was that people were dying from a nasty condition called hyponatremia, which is very low salt levels in the blood. You can die from this condition, & people were dying from it at raves. Here is the article on this that I found: http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/6/1852.full

Jack
One of the possible causes of hyponatremia is drinking too much water. And that is what is usually happening in such cases. People hear they can dehydrate from MDMA and without experience they overcompensate by drinking excessive amounts of water. MDMA can also cause urine retention, which can contribute to this effect. Drinking too much water can be really dangerous. I generally use the following rule: when I'm relaxed and not exerting myself, like at home, I just drink my normal amount whenever I get thirsty. When I'm dancing like crazy for a while I take short breaks outside to cool down and sip from a bottle. Usually a small bottle of water every 1-1.5h, in sips over that period not gulped down in one go

Electrolytes are good for you. Never drink just water when exercising (or dancing in this case) as drinking just a lots of water will definately give you symptoms of hyponatremy.

Many of the early well publicized deaths of MDMA users, particularly young women, seemed largely due to water intoxication - the idea that MDMA "dries out the spinal cord/spinal fluid" seemed to drive much of the massive water consumption on MDMA for my local crowd a good few years back.

I wonder how long that "dries out the spinal fluid" thing has been going around and driving some of these hyponatremia/water intoxication deaths?

CY

Jack
MDMA first got banned in U.S.A. because of a fraudulent research done by Dr.George Ricaurte, see this article.
Soon U.K. and other countries have followed suit.
The ban was mostly politically motivated (see Gene Haislip and Alan Leshner) under the pretext of health issues. Later other studies have found MDMA's harmfullness to be similar to LSD's and horseback riding (see Ref1. and Ref2.)

The Alcohol&Tobacco Lobby hates competition. According to this report, illicit drugs constitute 33% of the tobacco market and 41% of the alcohol market in UK.

The Hyponatremia is just a latin name for a low concentratio of salt (NaCl) in blood. It can be caused by excessive water consumption.
MDMA does not cause hyponatremia directly but it makes people thirsty (especially if they dance) and antidiuretic. If thirsty people drink a large amount of pure water then they risk hyponatremia. Drinking the same amount of an isotonic sports drink (or just salted water) - does not present such risk.

Ref1. - "Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse" by David Nutt
Ref2. - "Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis" by David Nutt

Last edited:
Dreaming of a post big money controlled world...where everyone takes acid and MDMA together and gets along.

Hundreds of ppl a day die from alcohol poisoning and dui. Nalcohol is not scheduled. Actual reason MDMA is illegal is that it would cut into profits of alcohol and psychiatric drugs.

Last edited:
As well as concern about alcohol profits, another reason why it was made illegal was because MDMA had the potential to create a counter culture in a wide population that was not in line with government agenda, just like the counter culture that started in the 60's with LSD. So the government stepped in and created a law that not only banned the substance from public use, but also banned it from medical use and from being scientifically researched, they did that because they wanted to lie about the drug and to hide the truth, they also did it out of fear, because they fear losing control. The ban had absolutely nothing at all to do with people's health.

Last edited:
As well as concern about alcohol profits, another reason why it was made illegal was because MDMA had the potential to create a counter culture in a wide population
What properties would such counterculture have, according to you ?
Why do you think it would be threatening to governments?

Doesn't Ethanol & Tobacco create a counterculture, too?
Why is Ethanol and Tobacco counterculture not threatening to governments but MDMA counterculture is?

Well any drug that doesn't help numb people to daily 9 to 5 bullshit is considered a threat. MDMA, like psychedelics, gives people a glimpse of what's really important in life and typically that doesn't line up with the 1%'s view of what we should be doing.. They profit more when we hate and kill each other than when we hug and love each other.

On top of that the rave culture itself seemed scary as you had people from all walks of life dancing together and talking and becoming friends. This scares the shit out of them because if we band together they think next step is revolution, whether that's true or not we don't know.

Hence the reason they not only went after MDMA but raves and electronic music itself... I could go on but you get the jist of it.

Every time a counter culture pops up based on love and community they go after it. Look at how badly they damaged the hippie/LSD scene, almost beyond repair. The trust in that scene is gone compared to the olden days.

-GC

Exactly G_Chem, when it comes to laws on drugs and the government the more you look into it the worse it gets.
The history channel made 4 very good documentaries about the War and drugs, I especially liked the first episode which covers the LSD counter culture movement.
Not sure if it's against the rules to post external links here, but this is the website with the 4 episodes on if anyone is interested.

http://www.hddocumentary.com/histor...es-1-2017-1of4-acid-spies-secret-experiments/

Last edited: