Cover vs Original- Who's corner are you in?

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
I thought I'd start a thread where we embed/link-to two versions of the same song, one being the original and the other being a good cover version.

First up is this one which I did just post in the 80's thread:

Cry Little Sister by G Tom Mac

Cry Little Sister by Shining (Sweden)

Here's another 'normal' vs metal version. Totally haunting song though Royksopp do it way better.

Royksopp- What Else Is There

Eslaved- What Else Is There (but damn, that tremolo riff during the intro! Song ruined by the harsh vocals as is pretty much every Enslaved riff)

This is one of the better covers I can think of right now. Didn’t even care much for the original but really love the cover

a-ha - Take On Me (Original)

Cap’N Jazz - Take On Me (Cover)

I watched Batman Forever about ten million times when I was a kid and always loved this song.

But I love this cover too.

Last edited:
^Nice choice/s :)

I gotta say, I think the Black Sabbath version is better. So eerie. 8o :sus:

Black Sabbath-Planet Caravan

VS

Pantera

This doesnt have corners imho - full circle here. Sweet when the cover honours the original.%)

Erotic City, Prince vs P-Funk

I'm going with Prince's hero, George Clinton

Last edited:
^ Nice Muse video.

and...

Love the cover - honourable dedication more that a copy. =D%)

I think everyone's pretty familiar with the original so I'll just skip to the cover. Aside from this guys raw talent, I just like his energy, and the "production" of this video, or whatever the right term would be.

This is kind of cheating because I posted these in the 80's thread, but still love both. Cool thread Swillow!

VS

^^ Simple minds classic, cant access the other video, unfortunately.
^ Would have been a weet duet had C. Cornell and S. O' COnner collaborated on a duet -'magine! :)

Wow!...stunningly beautiful talent.:| ...and a penis-extension of a piano that would put a flash lamborghini, to shame ;)

I hear Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" regularly on a station I like to listen to. Recently I had someone come up to me and tell me they preferred Metallica's version more. I have not heard it and must admit I'm very biased to Mr. Bob.

Has anyone heard Metallica's version and is it worthy of a listen?

(You Were) Always On My Mind

Written by Johnny Christopher, Mark James and Wayne Carson. Led to probably one/some of the best covers ever.

The original was recorded by Brenda Lee. I prefer this to either Willie Nelson or Elvis' later and better known covers.

However the best cover has to be the upbeat one by the Pet Shop Boys in the '80s. It's on most top 5/10 lists for the best cover ever. Made it to number 1 in many countries.