• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

My faith gets me by.

The technical term for this kind of experience is “conversion experience,” and they can be super powerful.

They can even result in zealotry, leading to an entirely new form of harm/addiction. But when balanced by more pro-social qualities and values they can be very useful experiences.

They also don’t have to include organized religion. My most profound conversion experiences have mostly involved entheogens and non-religious forms of meditation.

The Globalization of Addiction: A Study in the Poverty of the Spirit has some great sections on this topic. The history of addiction with this stuff in mind is fascinating, especially as it used to be a compliment to say someone was addicted to God (the word addiction used to have totally different connotations than it began to in the 19th/20th centuries).

Tell me, why do people refer to God in the masculine sense. What use has a God/A Higher Power have with a gender?

Of course, it wouldn't have any need for a gender. It's super silly. I think when making this stuff up, they wanted people to be able to identify with this being, and so giving it a gender helps people with that. And in the super misogynistic times most of this stuff was thought up, they sure as fuck weren't gonna make it a female.

The technical term for this kind of experience is “conversion experience,” and they can be super powerful.

They can even result in zealotry, leading to an entirely new form of harm/addiction. But when balanced by more pro-social qualities and values they can be very useful experiences.

They also don’t have to include organized religion. My most profound conversion experiences have mostly involved entheogens and non-religious forms of meditation.

The Globalization of Addiction: A Study in the Poverty of the Spirit has some great sections on this topic. The history of addiction with this stuff in mind is fascinating, especially as it used to be a compliment to say someone was addicted to God (the word addiction used to have totally different connotations than it began to in the 19th/20th centuries).

Interesting, thank you! I will definitely have a look. Keeping an open mind is of the utmost importance and all of man's teachings and ways must be thrown off. I too have had very powerful experience's while meditating.

I agree about the "organized religion". I don't like to even refer to myself as a "Christian" due to all the harm brought upon us all from
" The Church". Many are imposters! Power and money hungry Devils! Liars! Accusers!

These things cannot be found in a building or with a group. You must look inside for The Truth. Alone and in silence and stillness.
Follow the example of The Lord and Savior Jesus. His words are pure and hold great power.

Love is always the answer.

The Bible is the Ultimate Authority here on earth. If it says He created so and so I simply believe what it says as He is and was and is to come.

Well, never mind on that book I suggested. I had only read that one paragraph about healing through love, petition, and reverence.
I read a few more pages and I would not recommend that book.

Sorry guys. I am having such a hard time with injury and pain that I am desperate for relief.

It does help to just stay close to The Lord Jesus. It feels safe and good there and does give me strength.
i guess, endure until the end.

I?m just trying to remember Paula teachings in Hebrews where he talked about how Christ insured the cross scorning it?s shame and sat down at the right hand.

I just lost my suboxone doctor. I have five films left and I?m trying to focus on what Christ suffered so I don?t lose heart. Life is becoming so hard for me.

I lost them because of a benzo addiction I?ve had for eight years now. I lost my doc three years ago and was stuck with his boss pulling everyone off of them.

Right now folks I?m going through so much. Please lend me some encouragement.

I am praying for you sonicwhite. I wish I had more encouragement to offer but right now I'm hurting so badly myself.
The storms that keep coming through absolutely debilitate me. My tailbone is sheared off and lodged over on my sciatic nerve and I get pain through my body and down my left leg that I can't even believe is possible. Also a cold feeling inside my body.
I have to keep putting heat pads all over myself. I can't function at all right now.

I have already suffered so much. The winter just hurts so bad. I have no choice in taking pain medication.
No one understands either. I just feel like I am done speaking. Period.

I would advise you to get finding yourself another doctor. The benzodiazepines are way more hard core than any kind of opiates.
You MUST get some professional help with those. I would just be totally honest with some doctors until you find one willing to help you. This is something you cannot just cold turkey or go alone.

Sending Love
<3

I just know I have to do this on my own. Well the Lord helps but no doctor is going to take my case. That?s why I gave up on them. Unfortunately it?s the only option I have.

To both of you, Sonic and PainfulOne, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry that you are suffering and I hope you can find relief. I am happy that you both find comfort in your religion.

@PainfulOne--do you have a bathtub? One of the most comforting ways for me to reheat my core is with epsom salts in a very hot (as hot as you can stand) bath.

Please know that while no one can ever suffer your pain with you or for you, people care that you are suffering and you are not alone.

Oh it?s fine about reading things that are inspired by God. There are a lot of good books out there.

I have a friend on Facebook who wrote a Christian book on obsession or OCD. She really puts it into perspective.

And then there is a lot more books that are inspired by Christians and their daily lives. I stay away from prophetic teachings because they always trigger my anxiety.

Thank you Herbavore! That made me cry, in a good way. Lol!
Released some pressure. I know I'm not alone. I am sorry that others are going through such a horrible thing too though.
Thanks for caring guys. Really, it helps a lot.

Yes I do have a bathtub! A real nice big one and I do take tons of Epsom salt baths. They do help a lot. I just got done taking one and it relaxed me, returned me to sanity, and warmed up my core too! Thanks for the suggestion. I have been utilizing that one for a long time now.

I appreciate the message very much sweet lady.
<3

I just know I have to do this on my own. Well the Lord helps but no doctor is going to take my case. That?s why I gave up on them. Unfortunately it?s the only option I have.

Well, we will have faith that God will get you through. After all, Jesus's name is wonderful, counselor, PHYSICIAN!
Get yourself together some kind of a taper plan. That would be the least painful way to do this and stay in touch.
Need to know how you are doing so we can help you if needed.

I and I'm sure many others will be praying for you!
Nothing is impossible with God!

While I don't personally follow any particular religion, if faith helps you get off and stay off drugs I say more power too you.

As for myself, well, I have my own beliefs and my own form of faith. I wouldn't call myself a Christian or any similar religion, but I also definitely wouldn't call myself an atheist. I believe in something. A higher power. Call it God, fate, an underlying order to the universe, destiny, call it whatever you like. But I look at the universe I live in and often find myself pondering how astounding it is and the incomprehensible intelligence it would take to design it and the marvel of what it is and that it exists. I've seen my share of strange happenings.

I'm certainly not religious in the conventional sense nor can I say I have much time for conventional religion, but I have quite similar sentiments towards atheism as well. I think of all of them as making too many unfounded assumptions for my liking.

So I have my own form of faith and my own higher power. But ultimately, I think everyone's gotta find their own way to get off drugs and stay off them, that there is no single right way. And whatever works for you is right for you.

I find myself thinking about it a fair bit lately. I'm approaching 6 months clean from heroin. And I find it hard to believe I've made it that far. Given where I was and how bad I was when I decided to try again to get off it. It's hard to believe how fortunate I've been this time. It's not just that I decided to get clean and make a serious attempt. A lot of things just seemed to align in all the right ways for me to have the best shot I could. Which is what I think of as my idea of God.

While I don't believe it, I have read the Bible and have a great interest on theology.

Anyway, good luck everyone. I know some people just aren't meant for having faith in a higher power, and that's OK. There are other options for them. And likewise, others get a lot out of putting their faith in something greater than themselves. Personally, at least as far as addiction goes, I'm less interested in arguing the merits of people's different beliefs and more in getting people to accept that all that matters is what will help the person. What works for you might not work for another. What matters is the support. It's less important that we all agree on our beliefs in addiction and more important that we all accept that it doesn't matter. What matters is being there for each other, being supportive, and focusing on what we have in common not where we differ.

Something I sometimes said among my old friends, who I've sadly had to distance myself from since getting clean, is that given the types of people we were, we should always try to look out for each other cause nobody else will.

Good luck everyone. And God bless where applicable. :)

My faith is tested. My body aches at the suboxone withdrawals but it could be worse. I thank God that it is just were it?s at. Manageable.

Yo yo wattup sonic white. I stumbled upon your post today. I have been clean for three months, just wanted to drop in and give you a positive story. I tried cold turkey from oxy and made it two days two different times. I couldn't handle it so I did a quick taper with subs. How long have you been taking subs?

I will say this and preach and nobody here is going to stop this bright light from shining.

Your answer isn?t in drugs, sex or anything vanity. It?s only in Christ you?ll have the joy and peace. You may have every drug at your fingertips. But, it will not bring you the peace that only comes from giving your heart to Jesus.

Yes I am in pain. I?m suffering. I made a bad decision in 08 thinking a psych doc could fix the vexation of my soul. That the voices were some sort of delusion some person who probably didn?t even pay attention in school were they got their MD could solve.

My problem is only solvable by Christ. It?s only Him who can change the heart. I?ve wept. My heart is bleeding. Oh how I wish I could go back to the scourge of 08 and endure it but I fell away like Peter in the Gospels.

But I learned love thru it all. That were all suffering looking for that answer. That answer to our problems. I?m not good at reading. 2nd Timothy. God didn?t give us a spirit of fear but of POWER LOVE AND A SOUND MIND.

I realize now more than ever I will not find my answer here on a forum. Just a quick way to drop my cross and deny Jesus. My folly is ever before me. Ppl think I?m here judging not realizing I?m just trying to show you the way the truth and the life. It is only obtained by a repentive heart. To accept the challenge of being a Christian among ppl who hate me makes me all the more joyful. That I?m counted blessed to suffer for Christ?s name. I?m five days into my withdrawal. It could be worse yes but it is what it is. God loves us before our sin yes. After our sins yes and even during our sins. Many will say God doesn?t have that kind of grace, yes He does. Individually He loves us and this is what I found out about my suffering and they it.

I?m here to tell you God may take away your pain just like that that you would give Him the glory. He also may allow you to suffer so you can sympathize with those who are going they the same loop hole of regrets. Praise be to the ONE TRUE GOD.

I had five strips to wean. I made them last but it just st kinda made it less painful.

To answer your question.

I have bounced back and forth between atheism and Christianity but everytime no matter what I do the longer I live in a Godless delusion the worse things get. Something keeps pulling me back. Pill addiction and withdrawal made me realize that this life is no joke and to be taken seriously. All my friends telling me I was a p**** made me angry enough to quit. Everyone told me to taper and I didn't listen so took the cold turkey route. Ended up failing a couple times. After not sleeping for three days and browsing this handy website I learned how subs are a short term route and have seen it firsthand literally destroy my friends, even the "tough" ones after taking it too long. I made it two days into cold turkey and took an eighth twice a day for two days, then a sixteenth for two days, then one sixteenth the next day and had a horrible time for a good 2 weeks. Nightmares, insomnia, crippling depression anxiety. Had to have my dad lock up my pistol I was scared to have it near me like usual. I would go outside and cry and writhe where no one could see me. One day I was on my hands on knees and the exact location I was at there were two sticks aligned in a perfect cross and I just lost it. Sounds stupid but when you are in the pit of despair something like that pulls you out, I dont care. I'm never going back to the "Godless" delusion. Everything is so hopeless. I od'd more than once and I know who it was that saved me and gave a second chance. I am finally back to normal laughing and enjoying life. Don't feel broken and defective anymore. Stay up.

I went through detox with nerve damage also so my pain threshold was unbearable I thought I was going to die multiple times. Pain rebound is bad when your receptors are going crazy, increased pain, anhedonia, ya'll know how it is.