• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada's fix to the opioid crisis: Vending machines that distribute opioids

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Canada's fix to the opioid crisis: Vending machines that distribute prescription opioids to addicts
Amanda Coletta
The Washington Post
January 24th, 2018

Among their many differences, Canada and the United States share a common crisis: opioid overdoses.

Drug overdoses are the leading cause of accidental death in the United States, killing more people than the AIDS epidemic at its peak. More than 42,000 Americans died of opioid-related causes in 2016, and the crisis shows no signs of receding.

Canada, too, is in the grip of an opioid overdose epidemic, but public health officials in the province of British Columbia - which is projected to account for nearly one-third of overdose deaths in the country in 2017 - are hoping to prevent a surge in deaths with a novel approach: a vending machine that distributes prescription opioids to addicts.

The B.C. Center for Disease Control (BCCDC) announced last month that it plans to install three vending machines this spring that will dispense hydromorphone pills, a powerful prescription opioid, to people with a high risk of overdose. A landmark study in 2016 found the painkiller to be an effective opioid replacement therapy, and experts say it could also reduce dependencies on contaminated street drugs cut with lethal substances such as fentanyl.

A $1 million grant from Health Canada will help to fund the project, which officials say could be expanded as early as this summer after its launch in the spring.

Read the full story here.

I really like Canada's approach, they treat addicts like human beings, and try to minimize the damage. Very commendable.

^ yea but they won't be getting that phat prison lobby money for caging innocent humans beings as an excuse to steal tax dollars.

Solution to opioid epidemic - stop calling it an epidemic and accept all the death it causes and profit off it...like we did with alcohol

Right. Prohibition worked so well the first time, good job nixon/Reagan.

So here in Canada we have safe injection sites. Places you can go where people will give you a clean needle, a cooking dish, sterilized water. And you can sit there and shoot, snort, and in some cases smoke your drugs. And they watch to make sure you don't OD. I was shocked when I found out the US does not do the same thing.

At first I thought this vending machine idea was going a bit too far, but upon reflection it is actually an incredibly economical way to try and minimize the number of drug-poisoning deaths associated with street opioids. Hydromorphone pills cost next to nothing, and no pharmacists, nurses, or other health care workers need to be paid. All you need to pay for are the armored vending machine (not cheap, surely, but a one-time cost), security cameras, someone to watch the cameras, and someone to screen candidates and scan their fingerprints. I bet this would end up costing much less per client than methadone maintenance, given the lack of dispensing fees. Maybe the many people who get quite upset when they hear about the government spending money on "free drugs" or "free services for addicts" (never mind that they never complain about the much larger sums being spent against addicts) can get over their initial visceral negative reaction to this and be happy about the money being saved.

So here in Canada we have safe injection sites. Places you can go where people will give you a clean needle, a cooking dish, sterilized water. And you can sit there and shoot, snort, and in some cases smoke your drugs. And they watch to make sure you don't OD. I was shocked when I found out the US does not do the same thing.

To be fair, it was only a few years ago that Canada only had one legal supervised injection site and the federal government was trying its hardest to shut it down. We have come a long way since then, thankfully.

I would say the us might annex canada... but were too afraid of the Mounties.=D

Careful, you dont want us to burn the white house down again, do you? :p

( Yes - I know we were technically part of Britain then)

Lol I like Canada, used to date a young lady from the great white North.

The DEA IMO need to be stripped of their armaments, their badges and sent to go suck upon a pile of festering pus-filled anal tumours then go die in a gutter where the sisterfucker pack of gobshites belong. A piss soaked gutter in hades.

And I love this canadian idea, now thats progressive.

That would take too long. And children might read the language used. And believe you me, if I gave my full blast to what I think of the filthy fucking cuntmongering sons of dogfuckers....it'd make a bit of a mess. Hell given I've taken a few lessons in being a snarky bastard from the RettDevil herself, amongst others, oh boy, I'd probably crash BL's servers. Error code 40-4-letter-word. System can blow my autistic cock and call it chocolate ice cream once I've stuck it up their arsehole.