• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Starting Methadone real soon

Strapped420

Bluelighter
Didn't know where to post this, Just wanted to share,

I have been on subs when i was not using fent and heroin for the past 3 years. But as of lately I have been on it everyday. I only take about 1mg of sub each day.
I am going to be starting methadone in a week, I go on Monday and gotta do some stuff. I am wondering if it will help me more than subs,
the thing i have an issue w. is a bad case of being lethargic. I stopped a 3 year benzo habit, Doing them daily about 2-4mg of Xanax and Kpin a day, Stopped cold turkey almost a year ago.
Ever since then i got thru the physical which i recommend no one does that. It was the fuckin worst mental torture.
But do you think ill feel better on Mdone? THis emptiness i feel and just plain dull ness is terrible. I lost my license because i got into a bunch of car accident and hit a girl walking across the street, Which sucks. I feel so bad.
Anyway, Ima use this thread to let other people see and give my honest opinion when i start. I also get a nice lil glow from the 1/8 of sub I take, I think ima take it one more time between now and Thursday. I feel sick every morning around 10am until i take my sub which never happend b4. THe benzos are a wrap, Its over i dont want them again since i finally got thru that hell of detox. Wish me luck and leave your experiences and opinions. Glad to be back here !

How often were you chipping while on buprenorphine? Or was it more like using buprenorphine when using wasn’t possible?

Methadone is a hell of a lot more effective in terms of agonist/cravings and feeling sick than buprenorphine is. You don’t even need to dose super high to benefit, although some do. Going straight from buprenorphine to methadone isn’t really problematic, although you’ll probably need to start higher on the methadone than most people who transition from heroin or shorter acting opioids would.

The best (and worst) part about methadone for me was the structure of the clinic. I had little choice but to use it as prescribed, and I was fortunate to find a clinic with good interns/counselors and an amazing Director. Shitty doctor, but that seems pretty par for the course.

If buprenorphine is helping but not enough to keep you well, methadone is worth trying. Don’t expect a cure all; you’ll still need to put effort into creating a healthier, more sustainable and fullfilling lifestyle. Following long term opioid use that can take some real work. But methadone can be an outstanding foundation to do that work.

Things are a little weird with a lot of staff away right now, but consider posting in SL. It’s a bit more recovery oriented than OD, although we do recovery there a little differently (understatement) than most associations IRL. This is a good thing I think :)

Well i was getting RAW fent. Which i would shoot a few hour's AFTER taking my sub, And still feel like a million bucks. I was on subs from 09-12 and then i did 14 months in prison, and I got out and started back up and have been using subs and benzos daily with a few small fent usage when i can spare the money. But anyway, I just want to trry something other than subs. If it doesnet work, I will switch back but i just am so sick of this. I also am so used to getting my 90 subs and fipping a bunch and just staying lit and using xopious amuntss of molly and whatever else, I am never making money and when the partying is over after 2 weeks i go another 2 weeks of feeling like shit until i get my script.

I want to be held accountable and I want to better my life. I worked my ass off last spring and summer and got a terrible infection from IVing in my arm, from doing so much drugs. So i want to have a strict program, SInce i have been seeing a quack in NYC. Ima do what i need to so i can keep my money from working. I feel really good about going to Mdone and i know i am replacing one w the other but im 24 and i have been doing this since 2009 and it's OLD.

Methadone withdrawals are hell.

I had a friend who was on methadone due to a car accident that broke his back in numerous places, which led him to fentanayl dependence. He switched to methadone and had to go to the clinic (which is 40 minutes away) every morning to dose. Two days in a row, he was late getting to the clinic, and they denied him his dose. He went into such bad withdrawals that he died from a heart attack at 27 years old due to his electrolytes being so messed up from all of the vomiting and diarreah caused by his withdrawals from methadone.

The thing about methadone is you have to know yourself well enough to know if you will truly use it to taper off all opiates, or if you will use it as just a free way to get high- if the latter is the case, you could end up with a bigger problem on your hands when the day comes that you have to withdrawal off of the methadone too.

You either take it short term, taper and get clean- or take it without trying to taper (which is what most people do) and end up with a situation where you have to continue to take something every day for the rest of your life out of fear of withdrawal.

The thing is, unless you take methadone until the day you die, at some point you are going to have to go through the withdrawals. For me, if I am going to spend my life living in fear of being dope sick everyday- I would rather have the heroin. Knowing this about myself, the last time I detoxed off heroin I did it myself at home on my couch, and refused a substitute, because I knew it would just prolong the inevitable. I just sucked up the withdrawal, mentally convinced myself today I had a horrible flu that NOTHING I could take would make better (that mental part was key), and knowing that when it was over, I would never have to deal with it again gave me the determination to stick it out.

Methadone works for some people who want to get off of it at some point and are willing to taper. However, with 95% of the people I know who go on methadone (or subs for that matter) end up back on dope. Either something happens with their insurance, their doctor moves, they fail a UA and are kicked out of the clinic/doctor, they get to the point where they can take their methadone home and abuse it and run out early- and they are left with a way to get their methadone and serious withdrawals that send them back to heroin- usually with a bigger habit then they started with.

I don't mean to be a buzz kill. Like I said, methadone can help some people if they TRULY want to get clean. But I've seen very, very few success stories. You have to know yourself, and your addiction, and decide if methadone is going to make your situation better or worse in the long run.

If you can get through the sub withdrawals on your own, do it. You will feel so much better living your life knowing that you don't have to ever worry about dope sickness looming around the corner because you missed your methadone. But if you can't get through them on your own, really think about if methadone is going to help you or hurt you before making a decision about it. If it will help, go for it. Just know the possible outcomes of doing so.

Do keep in mind that buprenorphine and methadone, while they act very similarly, are not compatible, so to speak. Suboxone can block methadone and vice versa. Granted, you are on a very low dose of bupe.

Most clinics start you off at 30 - 35mg. While that would otherwise be overkill for a 1mg bupe addiction, the Sub may block some of it. But you may find that the methadone begins to have more and more of an effect over the first few weeks so don't start sky-rocketing your dose up because you aren't feeling as much as you should to begin with.

I am honestly not sure what the blocking potential of 1mg of bupe is.

^^^ Were you doing 1mg Sublingual? That is a low dose for maintenance- even ?those un t?he know? take at least 1.5-2ng with a sizeable habit, you need at least4ng per day, and maybe even 8-12mg; first day, dissolving it in less than 1ml, day 80-90ml, or 1.5-2ml with larger dose, and squirting that under your tongue 5minutes then swallowing(0r 8, and especially 12-and dissolving and maybe dividing first half initially, with remainder Done afterward

In any case, it makes almost twice as potent and give slightly aster onset

Why 1mg, btw?

I take a small piece everyday occasionally skip a day. I take that cuz a family member gives it to me Usually take so little that i get a nice little glow off of it. i start to have the chills like crazy about 24 hour's after. One thing i am worried about i might not be able to do the methadone because on the phone the lady said bring photo ID... Now, I turned my Physical photo ID in last friday and they said i'd have my non driver ID in 7-10 days . They said (at the DMV) That i can use the paper they gave me so ima use that and a copy i have of the photo ID i turned in So hopefully it doesent fuck stuff up. Praying i get the new ID in the mail today. Ima take like 3 days off of the Mdone come thursday.

Okay so i started today. Took 2mg of sub 2 days ago. SO today i took 30mg of Mdone liquid which legit tastes like strong nyquil or some other cough syrup. It hiyt me like 45 mins later gave a real nice euphoria reminded me of OC, Or Taking sub w a 0 tolerance. So far so good. Will keep u guys updated.

I think you should seriously consider Deemgd's post, above.

I think you're signing yourself up for a world of pain... 30mg Methadone/day is a massively bigger dependence liability than 1 or 2mg Bupe /day

Methadone should give you more instant gratification than subs, but the withdrawal is way, way, WAY WORSE. We are talking about 2 weeks of mild/moderate withdrawal versus 8 weeks of agonizing pain. I would try to stick to subs. Try to get on a higher dose. 4 - 8mg should do it. Maybe have a friend or family member hold on to them for you so you cant sell them or take too many. You will stabilize with sub, a week or so... but once you get there it will be smooth sailing as long as you take it as prescribed.

I'm currently coming off Methadone just to switch to Suboxone. I wouldn't recommend the "liquid handcuffs" to anyone.

If you can't make it to the clinic your screwed. If you fail a UA, your screwed. If you don't have the money, your screwed.

Methadone withdrawls are the WORST drug related withdrawls ever. And hell, I wasn't even above 30mg daily and this is Hell. I'm currently praying for the 96 hr Mark so I can switch to subs and put that shit behind me. I just couldn't live in fear anymore.

Hope this helps bro.
-Inevective

Did your doctor tell you to use the clinical opiate withdrawal scale (COWS) to rate your withdrawals. Use it and if it's above a certain amount on the scale you should be able to start. I think 15 points is a safe bet

I know its bad and ppl dont rtecommend but im gna fuckin die foreal if i have my sub script still. I have a serious issue w freedom of doing whatever cuz my Dr writes me whatever. I cant do it anymore, I keep usoing other stuff when im on my subs and selling 70 of em at 20 a piece i need structure and i appreciate the advice, Its just I Want to see how Mdone is and it doesent tgive a buzz now since i took it to get outta Wds it just makes me feel better and then norma la few hours later. Seriously appreciate your concerns but i saw my mom go thru Mdone wds and get on sub so hopefully ill die b4 i have to get off of it or subs.

Do you feel better? Has the urge to take other drugs gone away?

125 mgs a day is a lot of methadone and I'd be sleeping the day away on that dose!

How long did it take you to get take homes and did you get 6 a day before changing clinics? Just curious. I take 30 mgs of methadone a day with other pain meds and benzos to help prevent pain.

If I went to a clinic I would most likely need around 100 mgs a day to cover the OxyIRs and Norcos I take every day. I'd get kicked out because giving up benzos would be extremely difficult for me and no methadone clinic wants to prescribe benzos or have other doctors prescribe benzos. From what I understand it's one of the number one reasons why people OD but I need my small dosage and with all my painkillers I would have OD'd already without caution.

Keep us updated and answer my questions when you can.

Best answer I ever read very true in everyway...I been there kicked in prison just recently 4 months ago my father got into a accident left me homeless started dope again first time in 4 years I’ve been on dope roughly 4 months now and I’m gonna have to kick again it is hell was hell on methadone think I should just kick the dope this time around methadone can make u a methadonian real quick

Same shit as always: people knowing about nothing are critisizing and scaring methadone from the grounds of hearsay.

In my opinion methadone is much better substance than buprenorphine. I have been on both, but been on methadone twelve years now. The best part of methadone is that it's enough strong for not craving (and so not needing to use) any extra-curricular goodies... I'm on methadone for life, planning not to taper. But anyhow if I'd choose to start tapering, I'm not afraid at all.

Methadone is NOT that hard to quit, if one is motivated: The not so secret formula is to do a correct tapering schedule (if you are long timer, you'll need many many moons). Never try to just jump off; it's the known formula of idiocity & stupidity. And as a side note, withdrawals of methadone are milder than of strong and short acting opiate/opioid, but withdrawals lasts forever; that's why one should have time on your side: longer the tapering schedule, better it will be.

Possible locked up time will be a huge problem, torture, if your country doesn't provide you a right for your medicine. Here in Scandinavia, we have unlimited right for medicine, even in prison

Methadone gets a bad rep, it saves lives and can let you get out of the downward spiral heroin addiction. Go with methadone and stick it out on the program. It might take a few years, but dont fool yourself even if youve got years clean you can trip up on a needle and be right back in no time

It says you are in central NY , do you mind if I ask where. I live in NYC am on a clinic in Manhattan and I only go 1x a week (100mgs a day) . If you pay the clinic cash you can be on a once a month schedule. Meth works if you use it as it as intended. I take my meth every morning and forget about it. I am also on Xanax 2mg 4x a day. When I tell people in my gym that I'm on meth and have a history of heroin use they don't believe me. Meth allowed me to lead a normal healthy life. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Oh yeah when you are stabilized on your dose of meth you won't feel sick, it's sort of like taking your daily meds or vitamins in the morning. Good luck.....

It says you are in central NY , do you mind if I ask where. I live in NYC am on a clinic in Manhattan and I only go 1x a week (100mgs a day) . If you pay the clinic cash you can be on a once a month schedule. Meth works if you use it as it as intended. I take my meth every morning and forget about it. I am also on Xanax 2mg 4x a day. When I tell people in my gym that I'm on meth and have a history of heroin use they don't believe me. Meth allowed me to lead a normal healthy life. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Oh yeah when you are stabilized on your dose of meth you won't feel sick, it's sort of like taking your daily meds or vitamins in the morning. Good luck.....

Do ya get any buzz aka euphoria on mdone?