• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tolerance and Addiction

ThomasD

Bluelighter
Had a 1.6 gram joint to myself last night. Didn't get any higher than I would from 0.2. Tolerance is a bitch. Think it's time to say goodbye to pot. I know i'm lying to myself though. I'll get another 1/8th today and be another 30 quid in debt. It keeps adding on. I can't stop. My life is worthless.

I know all the advice there is to get. I can't stop.
I've read countless posts on addiction and discussions and i've been stalking this site for years.

But I can not stop.

It's just weed!!!

I can take buckets of speed, ketamine, coke, alcohol, tobacco and never be addicted
But I can not get away from weed.

I have no money and I keep putting myself in debt because the depression stops me giving a shit

help me or don't idk anymore

How much are you smoking on a daily basis? Yeah, I know a lot of people say 'it's just pot', but say 3 g a day can add up, esp if you aren't buying in bulk (can't).

Me, I'd beg, plead, wheedle and whine my way into having growing space somewhere and then set up 4 plants. Yeah, I know $....

Tom

Hi Tom. I smoke about 1-2g a day in general. Having a girlfriend means I have to buy 3-4 a day though. I also can't buy in bulk.

I'd fucking love to have some growing space and start growing. It would give me responsibility and something to take care of.

I live in my girlfriends moms home in a small village where the only private place i can smoke is a 10 minute walk. It's always windy here so can only smoke Joints.

0.25 will get me buzzed for about 15 minutes.
0.5 will get me buzzed and only HIGH in the mornings, for about 30 minutes.
any more just feels the same.
Edibles don't seem to do anything at all anymore for some reason.

Yet I continue to smoke. Why?

Because if I don't I act upon my suicidal thoughts.

I mean, the obvious solution is to get some treatment for your depression so you don't need weed to resolve your symptoms.

Of course that might be an issue if you're broke, not sure how they might handle therapy costs where you live.

Beyond that I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty in giving you any advice because I don't expect you'll stop if your depression persists unless you switch to another drug, which would almost certainly be worse for you/more expensive.

Best help I can think to give is to try to stretch how much you use daily as much as possible. Your tolerance is high and there are ways to manage that.

The best method is abstinence, if you can put off smoking for even a day you'll cut your tolerance about in half. If you can't do a full day just try to put it off to later in the day instead of smoking first thing in the morning. That gap will reduce your tolerance a fair bit so you use less both because you started later and because you need slightly less to achieve the same high.

Take more breaks when you smoke. After you inhale, wait 15-20 minutes before taking another hit. This will allow you to fully feel the effect of the first hit so you can gauge yourself and decide not to take the next hit if you already feel high enough. This can save you a few hits per session.

Smoke in various places. Your tolerance is cued to the environment you typically smoke in. If you smoke in a new environment, you trick your brain and it doesn't compensate quite as much for the incoming cannabinoids.

Change your consumption method. Joints are absolutely the most wasteful method to smoke. I understand your need for discretion but a simple pipe can look like, well, a piece of metal piping, completely inconspicuous. And it will reduce the amount you need to smoke in order to get high by at least half in my experience.

Edibles aren't having an effect on you because your tolerance is too high, I'm the same way and I just live with it, I get more out of smoking a gram than a gram's worth of edibles (~200mg thc). Actually I find smoking .1-.2 to have a stronger effect than 400mg edibles. If my tolerance was at 0 edibles would be great but they're not an economical option when tolerance gets too high. I'm not sure what the mechanism is but that's always been my experience.

Hope that helps

weed abuse makes depression and anxiety far worse in my opinion.

How long have you actually stopped for? I find that after about 2 weeks of quitting after heavy abuse that my mood is greatly improved and I worry less.

Thanks mate. I've had every treatment I can think of for depression and anxiety. A lot of it is situational, not just out of the blue. No treatment has worked. SSRis, Mirtazapine, CBT, Seeing Psychiatrists, doctors, exercise, better health, you name it. I think this is because of Anhedonia, I do not enjoy anything and feel profoundly bored and annoyed if I do something I don't enjoy. This is the only thing that doesn't go away when i've smoked. I literally do nothing, not because i'm lazy, but because I don't enjoy it. I enjoy the act of smoking and the taste of weed, and that's it. I can't enjoy music, my past hobbies like piano, free running etc. I can't enjoy food, TV, youtube, games, nature, being with friends, you name it. I sometimes enjoy music when i'm high, and sometimes food.

My situation is that I am forced to smoke outside in my current situation, and where i live it almost always rains and is windy, very hard touse a pipe. And it's often dark too. There is only one place to smoke - in the woods. This means it's very difficult to wait in between hits, because i'm almost forced to use joints. There are no new environments remotely close that I can smoke without being in public. Also, when I HAVE smoked elsewhere, the high feelsthe same. Also when I do use a pipe, usually just make an apple pipe... OR a bong, i just dont feel it, period. Not even a little bit. I can only feel Joints.

Sounds like I have an excuse for everything but it's a very odd situation i'm in.

If you're saying your depression is situational, then it's no surprise the clinical approach hasn't worked. If it's situational, you know what's making you unhappy, and you need to do something about it. Stop trying to treat the symptoms. I'm shocked CBT did nothing though, learning to re-evaluate your reactions to the world is pretty much what you need to do if you have situational depression. Of course success with CBT is entirely dependent on what you put into it.

Some people have clinical, treatment-resistant depression that can require some very intense treatment to work through, stuff like ECT or deep brain stimulation seems to help those people, sometimes. I'm not suggesting these as routes to look into, but just know that if you truly are one of these people who has a deep clinical depression, there ARE more options you haven't tried.

Hello, I want to do something about it, and am in the process of doing so, but for now it is out of my control. Living with a mate and really want a flat, in debt, dealing with extreme emotional abuse from my mother, a relationship (girlfriend) of 2years that is becoming toxic. Ive been through so much emotional abuse i think my brain shut itself down back when i was 13 or so, long before pot use. I guess CBT and the likes worked for a short period of time, but I kept forgetting the insights (my memory is trash). I'm thinking into potential delving into Psychedelics. I know everything there is to know and I couldn't be better prepared - i'm hopeful for a difficult trip, actually, because I want to prove to myself i can let go, and think about my problems introspectfully. Set and setting is everything of course.

I will wait until my living situation is improved, though.

weed abuse makes depression and anxiety far worse in my opinion.

How long have you actually stopped for? I find that after about 2 weeks of quitting after heavy abuse that my mood is greatly improved and I worry less.

I don't really notice it until after but it messes with my self confidence too if I smoke it too much. It also takes away the powerful initiative I normally have. If I smoke too much weed since the beginning of the day I end up feeling burnt out and stupid, wasting my time. Yet weed can be such a great drug if used ideally for the person.

I find that I feel great if I choose the middle way and moderate my use.

When I smoke every 8 or so hours compared to heavy abuse, the effects of pot are so much more rewarding and noticeable.

I am in the process of cutting back, it's the next step now that I am through a month of oxycodone withdrawal and got in good shape again since I have done intensive hot yoga 19 times since I began to detox this year. Eventually a little toke of kush through my bong will get me lifted for a solid couple hours. Overdid it again, although I was in withdrawal and it helped me eat and sleep. It really isn't hard to take a break from it if you really want to. I am keeping myself preoccupied with a book until my next hit. I don't take T-breaks though I'm too messed up at this point it's risky, but cutting back is pretty much painless. Don't act on the desire to take a bong rip every time a cravings surfaces, pretty much.

see I have agoraphobia and probably ptsd (saw father die in front of me, amonst much else) and if I don't smoke it can trigger temper/memories so I try and stay inside and safe away from all you good people. Had to quit for 6 months. (I actually was innocent) no reason to lie now already served it. With a couple and they find a pipe in the guys cd case, they both point at me and I don't point back because I was raised to settle things in other ways. (Which btw the girl is pregnant and homeless, the guy got arrested for beating his pregnant wife as well as that same day falling asleep in a parking lot than they both got a possession because no one was there to scape goat and they pointed at eachother.. Point is tolerance and addiction aren't so bad with pot, the first week of quitting. (from like a super chronic habit, concentrate about 1/2gram a day and a zip a week) I didn't feel great. The nightmares are the worst symptom honestly (for me) so not so bad