Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - DEA launches new crackdown on pharmacies and opioid over-prescribers

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
DEA launches new crackdown on pharmacies and opioid over-prescribers
Sari Horwitz and Scott Higham
The Washington Post
January 30th, 2018

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday that over the next 45 days, a "surge" of Drug Enforcement Administration agents and investigators will focus on pharmacies and prescribers who are dispensing unusual or disproportionate amounts of opioid drugs.

To intensify the fight against what is called "prescription drug diversion," the DEA will examine data from approximately 80 million reports it collects every year from prescription drug manufacturers and distributors, Sessions said.

The data includes distribution and inventory figures, and analysts will look for patterns and statistical outliers that can be developed into targeting packages, or information used to identify those suspected of breaking the law, and sent to each of the DEA's 22 field divisions, a Justice Department official said.

"That will help us make more arrests, secure more convictions and ultimately help us reduce the number of prescription drugs available for Americans to get addicted to or overdose from," Sessions said in a speech to law enforcement officials in Louisville.

The call for more firepower comes as states and communities grapple with the worst health crisis in modern U.S. history. Prescription drug overdoses have claimed nearly 200,000 lives since 2000, and the death toll continues to rise each year. In October, President Trump declared the opioid epidemic a public health emergency.

Read the full story here.

A drop in the bucket when you take into account overdoses from heroin/fent. They know they can?t control the black market so they go for the only market they can.

Yep. It'll just push more people to heroin.

Not to mention people who actually need those meds not getting them. Makes people lose hope.

Drug lords in Afghanistan and China rub their hands extimating how many tonnes of product they will sell to the US market.

Drug lords in Afghanistan and China rub their hands extimating how many tonnes of product they will sell to the US market.

as does the private prison lobby and sessions...at the thought of how many pain suffers they can turn to heroin then lock in cages and steal your tax dollars.

The state of this country disgusts me and the amount of people thinking that things are going well because the literal clown in chief talks bad against spanish people and blacks while shit like this goes on with sessions

War on drugs definitely going too far now taking pain relief away from people in pain and making people get on heroin, what a mess. The lovely grilled food you have aint worth it for me anymore

Mexico and Colombia cartels will have the biggest party ever which is exactly what the US government has tried to avoid lol

...as I watch “heroin” use increase...

It’s both tragedy and farce. What a joke my government’s policies so often seem :(

Everyone, from the pharma companies, to the doctors prescribing them. I'm not saying this is common knowledge among the general population, but to say that prescribers were just unaware of the dangerous potential Oxycodone (Oxycontin, Percocet) is just nonsense. Oxycodone was not a new drug. It was created in 1917, literally 101 years ago. It was in clinical use prior to the use of Oxycontin. We have known about the addictive potential of Opioids since the beginning of recorded time, so to say that they were unaware of any potential for addiction or for Purdue Pharma to call the drug "un-abusable".

It's all a bunch of bullshit. They got everyone addicted. The government was in on it, the pharma was in on it, the doctors were in on it, some Pharmacists were in on it, but honestly they were often the voice of reason in the midst of this madness. Now the addicts and doctors are shouldering all of the blame, with the balance between the two varying based upon your location. Now, Pharma is taking advantage of the Opioid crisis by over-prescribing and recommending Buprenorphine to every man, woman and child who have ever looked at a Percocet.

Suboxone is the new money-maker. Pharma makes out like a bandit regardless of how we are affected. Everyone needs 24mg Buprenorphine today and it simply must be coupled with Naloxone in our proprietary blend. Naloxone has no effect when Buprenorphine is used in the correct manner and most likely makes little difference even if you inject it. It's really great if you're Pharma. The penalties are minute for their crimes and doesn't have any significant effect upon their bankroll.

In the end, we are all cattle to them. Get in line for your dope in whatever form you take it. You need to be maintained on Methadone and/or Buprenorphine permanently.

If the doctors didn't know, they are shitty doctors, period.

Amen!

I don't think it was some big gov't conspiracy but I do think the pharmaceutical companies knowingly got America hooked on opioids.

Lack of research played a role as well, heroin was originally marketed as a non addictive replacement for morphine, then methadone was marketed as the. Same for heroin.

Both of which are outrageously wrong.

The reason Britain ruled Hong Kong until 1997 was because we made the Chinese population hooked on opium in the 19th century, definitely more use than in the US now..

Hitler apparently loved his oxycodone and shot it up regularly

Ridiculous to call it a modern problem

Fucking christ. The US needs to boycott the DEA entirely. Each and everybody and every organization at the same time, shout the bastards down finally. I'd love to see that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just abolish them. We have too many federal law enforcement agencies anyway what with the DEA ATF FBI
and Secret service. Not even counting the smaller ones with even more very niche purposes.

They can take the ATF too while we're at it. Roll both into the FBI.

Not an american myself. But I do really hate the DEA. They are corrupt to the core, even though that core, is ostensibly, something dedicated to pure and unmitigated evil in the first place. A real two-bit, festering, anal tumour sucking monstrosity even if they weren't a cess-pool of corruption and poisonous, selfinterested thieving liars. The DEAnus even if they did remain true to their declared foul mission, are a shiver looking for a spine to crawl up. Something that isn't, of course to be found in any porker. (the spine, I mean, that is).

Even some 'normal' pigs are saying that the war on drugs (I.e war on drug users) is an unwinnable failure that they already lost long ago, the moment they ever began, and for decriminalization. And the privatization of prisons is also, just monstrous and wrong. Nothing good ever can come of having a prisoner-farming industry. That is sick on so many levels of fucked up I can't even begin to tease them apart into individual bite sized portions of ratbastard. The DEA has got to go. And the same agency given both the order to enforce the law and the power to themselves declare what that law, as lex legis, must be, again it is begging for vested interests to secrete themselves from vested sphincters and slither around in the dark under nasty, foetid little rocks, looking for backs to stab when the sun goes down and they can come out again.

Even cracking down on them wouldn't be enough. The only acceptable solution, the only one that makes SENSE, is to wipe them out root and branch, dig out every noxious, truth-fearing, freedom-hating, blood-sucking parasite wherever they are vested, and burn the very mention of their names from the footnotes of history. Make them the modern day Akhenaten, and purge them, as an abomination, inimical to mankind.

the alternative to allowing people the right to use drugs, is using force to control peoples actions against their will.

i have a feeling things are going to get even worse before we cave and start following european models... assuming we will still have the resources for those social programs at that point.

the war on drugs prompted drug users and manufacturers to ramp up the production of fent and the whole RC marketplace in general. people like using drugs that make them feel good and will fight back by continuing to use, and use whatever they can. unfortunately only more destructive options appear.

All the DEA is doing is changing prescription addiction to much more dangerous street drugs which is fucked up and going to help all the mexican drug cartels do the horrific things they do. youd think the US would try to improve its already dreadful reputation in the world with some moral methods that work instead of doing the opposite

A country "for the people" putting pain patients in agony, what a joke

I wouldn't expect much reputation repairing while we're still in Donald Trumps America.

In out defense though, we're hardly the only developed country with bad policies on matters of public health.

Politics sucks everywhere.

I wouldn't expect much reputation repairing while we're still in Donald Trumps America.

In out defense though, we're hardly the only developed country with bad policies on matters of public health.

Politics sucks everywhere.

Thats very true and my point is America is going to get much worse in the way its trying to fix things with public health and trying to quickly try and be more like the european model and nhs which has its own flaws and take it to the extreme. Basically making a private system have all the flaws of a public one and not the benefits. I lived in the US many years, have family over there and it was great at the time, now things are just insane and its never seemed this bad and unstable with healthcare, Im scared to be there a day as a result and have to say im so happy to be in the UK where I can get an unlimited supply of oxycontin free without any insurance or anything :)