• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Subutex Withdrawal. GOING CRAZY!

rosiebaybie

Greenlighter
So im on day 7 off subutex & the goosebumps, chills, sweats & temperature ups & downs have all but stopped. But i still cant sleep & the RLS is driving me crazy! When does it start to get better? Even if i can manage to keep my legs still while laying down i CAN NOT fall asleep! Im starting to lose my mind here!

I know it?s horrible but it does indeed get better. 7 days in is a pretty amazing feat, tbh. Prob another few days and things should be a lot better for you. Just imagine here very shortly your never going to need a substance daily to stave off WDs... completely free of the chemical prison.

I feel you OP, I still couldnt sleep day 12 of sub withdrawals. I ended up using kratom to sleep but now I'm addicted to kratom so I wont recommend that.

Others suggested doxylamine to me. its otc and is an anti histamine like benadry but apparently doesnt worsen rtls like benadryl. This is second hand information, I cant confirm its true from experience... as I have yet to try it.

Have you been getting lots of exercise? Thats important too.

Good luck

I have 3 kids, the youngest is almost 1, so i do a lot of chasing him around lol. I feel like i can fall asleep til im laying down for about 10 min then my legs get to going & even if i can get them still i cant fall asleep. Then if a miracle does happen & i fall asleep its only for about an hour. Grrrrr!
Im so glad everything else is almost all the way gone but i wish i could get a good nights sleep! I even had a couple benzos i took to help me sleep & they didn't work.
When does sleep generally start to get normal & RLS go away?

How much were you using when you stopped? And when did your withdrawal symptoms start?

In my experience, the first two weeks are the worst. My sub withdrawals always took a few days to kick in, so day 5 of being sub free was equivalent to the first day of heroin withdrawal for me.

My sub withdrawals always lasted more than twice as long as H withdrawals too.

For me, it took a few weeks for all of the withdrawal symptoms to go totally away. Things may get worse for a few days, but they will slowly start getting a little better everyday after that.

If you can, get your hands on some gabapentin. That is a lifesaver when it comes to the RLS. Where I'm at, the ER will prescribe it for withdrawals. If you can't, rub Bengay on your legs as often as you need to, and take HOT Epsom salt baths multiple times a day.

Also, do whatever you can to sleep even for an hour (I always used RX sleep meds). As impossible as sleep seems, if you can knock yourself out for a little bit, it will make dealing with the withdrawals seem more doable. Your body needs to rest as much as possible because it's under immense stress. I always do whatever I can to sleep through as much of my withdrawals as possible, because even if it's only an hour of sleep, that's an hour I had a break from the exhaustion of dealing with the pain of withdrawal.

Making it through a week is amazing, and you are so close to being free of this. Keep going, it WILL get better!

I was doing about 16-20mg subutex for almost 2 years & a month ago started to taper down. Im not sure the exact mg i was doing a day but i was scraping off a lil powder everyday (very little amount). I thought day 4 & 5 were the worst for me & day 6 & 7 were alot better. Then today hit me like a ton of bricks! (Day 8) I felt jittery, lightheaded, tired & just AWFUL all day! As tired as i was all day ive been laying down for 4 hours & still cant sleep. Dont know if its the w/d hitting me again, if its the zans i was taking to ease my symptoms & stopped yesterday, or if my body is just wore out from not sleeping. Ugghhhhh!

I went thru that in novemeber for about 20 days, It was HELL. But when i was locked up i was normal in about 4 weeks, Sleeping fine. I didnt get past 3 weeks in november. w

I was doing about 16-20mg subutex for almost 2 years & a month ago started to taper down. Im not sure the exact mg i was doing a day but i was scraping off a lil powder everyday (very little amount). I thought day 4 & 5 were the worst for me & day 6 & 7 were alot better. Then today hit me like a ton of bricks! (Day 8) I felt jittery, lightheaded, tired & just AWFUL all day! As tired as i was all day ive been laying down for 4 hours & still cant sleep. Dont know if its the w/d hitting me again, if its the zans i was taking to ease my symptoms & stopped yesterday, or if my body is just wore out from not sleeping. Ugghhhhh!

I think it's probably that you've stopped taking the Xanax. A similar think happened to me when I stopped the pain clinic...I'd been on methadone pills, 60mg 3 times a day for a few years and stopped dead...I had a script for clonazepam and used that for about the first week or two and the withdrawls were bad but manageable....then I ran out...bam..it hit hard...I thought by the 2nd week the withdrawls would be easing up but no...they were just getting started....went on for months.

You don't reslise how much something is masking withdrawls (cos you still feel a bit rough) until you stop taking it....then all of a sudden..60% withdrawls become 100% and the gates to hell open up.

Im finally feeling somewhat normal again! 3 weeks clean & im sleeping decently, RLS isnt as bad & the other symptoms are all but gone! I still struggle to get motivated but i do what i need to do & its getting better everyday.

I was going to say it was going to take a few weeks.. good on you, now the hard part, paws.

Try a weighted / heavy blanket for the restless legs and hot epsom salt baths .

Glad to hear that you are through the WDS, mostly. If you have access to good cannabis tinctures and live in a state that is cool...I'd take 500 mg THC and 500 mg CBD. Should help. But wait. ...don't take that much. I have a super high tolerance for everything it seems. If you are not a pothead already start At 30mg of each.

Also, that's one of the reasons I refused to switch meds. My doctor was like "let's try to get you off these opioids." And offered me suboxone. And I said you mean off these and on to others you are more comfortable with me taking. Fuck that! I will stick with what I am taking. As I have some leverage with the doctor, he didn't ask again. But I have the feeling that he just wanted to give me something harder to stop. Which is what seems to be the case when I read the experience of others.

Last edited:
I feel you OP, I still couldnt sleep day 12 of sub withdrawals. I ended up using kratom to sleep but now I'm addicted to kratom so I wont recommend that.

Others suggested doxylamine to me. its otc and is an anti histamine like benadry but apparently doesnt worsen rtls like benadryl. This is second hand information, I cant confirm its true from experience... as I have yet to try it.

Have you been getting lots of exercise? Thats important too.

Good luck

I can!

Doxylamine is a potent sedative/hypnotic antihistamine, more so than diphenhydramine, and more relaxing-almost like a more mild/limited version of hydroxyzine- it's more potent, so lower doses can be used

Start with 12.5, then can redosee 12.5 if desired, then it is 12.5-25mg per dose m, try to limit usage to maximize effectiveness

It does have some anticholinergic effects, so careful w/dose; you can take 50mg, though careful

And people, stay chill it is the better way

Also, that's one of the reasons I refused to switch meds. My doctor was like "let's try to get you off these opioids." And offered me suboxone. And I said you mean off these and on to others you are more comfortable with me taking. Fuck that! I will stick with what I am taking. As I have some leverage with the doctor, he didn't ask again. But I have the feeling that he just wanted to give me something harder to stop. Which is what seems to be the case when I read the experience of others.

I can relate to that somewhat.. yesrs ago, one of the worst mistakes I ever made was letting my pain management doctor talk me into switching from fentanyl patches to methadone pills. At least with shorter acting opioids like fentanyl/oxycodone/morphine etc. you have the option of stopping and "only" suffering a week of 2 of horrible withdrawls...

With things like methadone or buprenorphine though, the withdrawls are weeks or months long and it is like being trapped.

I am going thru the same thing. I?ve been taking 16mg of suboxone for 18 months. It not only numbed my body, but brain as well. Cold turkey was not an option, as the withdrawals are worse than coming off hydros! My advise is find Red Bali Or Thai kratom. It is saving my life. The alkaloids give powerful pain relief. It provides euphoria, anxiety relief and calms RLS. Red strains are sedative after 6 grams. Green strain has more energy and white vein is uber energetic.
I get 25g for 20$. Online prices can be better.
Good luck!
Remember to take it one day at a time...

Sal