• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA wants to curb abuse of Imodium 'the poor man's methadone'

If they get the idea to take handfuls just because of the size of the bottle, fuck em. That's their own stupid fault.

Id be very hesitant to assume anything suggesting the companies are exploiting it. If there's evidence the large bottles are a new thing coinciding with their increased use to avoid withdrawal that might be some telling evidence, but it seems silly to just assume it based on nothing.

The take what? A year or so to expire at least? That's long enough to justify a 100 pill bottle.

I agree. NSAIDs are often deadly when taken in high quantities, or do organ damage. People learned not to OD on them.

I'm not a fan of FDA action on this until they address the availability of maintenance medications. Methodone should be available through a doctor outside the clinic setting as an emergency measure.

I hate how they respond to people's desperation with more punishment. It's like they just want addicts to fuck off and die if patients won't funnel obscene profits to their pharmaceutical coffers.

Obviously only the desperate would be using loperamide to help with opioid WDs. I mean really.

I hate how they respond to people's desperation with more punishment. It's like they just want addicts to fuck off and die if patients won't funnel obscene profits to their pharmaceutical coffers.

i think that message is implicit in a lot of prohibition stuff.
"we don't think you should have access to pill testing because we don't want to send the wrong message" basically means
"if you stop dying and having nightmarish reactions to poorly made/cut/fake/adulterated drugs we won't be able to keep pushing the message that drugs are bad"

same goes for safe injecting rooms. they want us to suffer and die because it helps them demonise and persecute us. that's the role we play - expendable people that are easy to demonise and ostracise.

it wont change shit
they made sudo switch to blister packs in the 90s and it didnt stop shit.

Hello: My son is DEAD. He was a chronic pain patient. I think he may have been trying to use loperamide to ease withdrawal symptoms from Kratom. He had come off of fentanyl patches two years ago, and I now think he was struggling ever since. His Kratom use had gotten too much. I now believe Kratom is indeed addictive. He is DEAD. Do not use this drug under any circumstances. The blood work seems to indicate he took 40 pills: 200 ng/ml. I don't know yet what the metabolites number means (870 ng.ml) PLEASE! Do not use this AT ALL. Loperamide is a dangerous, dangerous, dangerous drug. It does not take hundreds of pills to kill you. He took only 40. For those complaining about restricting its sale. You are DEAD wrong. The sale of this dangerous drug must be regulated STAT. Go to someone you trust. Tell them you are in trouble. Seek help. Do NOT try to use this on your own to withdraw from another drug. Ask your family to help. Have someone stay with you 24/7 for however long it takes, even if years! Under no circumstances should you take this. Please listen. Please.
My thoughts are with you mam and I am sorry your son passed but your attitude of ban something because it's dangerous is exactly the reason why you lose your son in the first place because he wouldn't have been been trapped into a corner by the government that made him decide to swallow 40 imodium drug reform and regulation needs to go in the opposite direction It doesn't seem like that at first but you have to look at the bigger picture society and the state think that banning things protects the public but this entire war on drugs is spawned from that in the first place drug based crime only occurs because of regulation in the first place.

If the government did not regulate controlled substances then every drug based source of violence or crime which is easily over 60 percent of prison inmates are associated with would disappear overnight. The state doesn't allow this happen for one fucking reason only because it pays to make the shit illegal. The war on drugs gives government agencies immense power as well as job security and it's big money for the prison systems as well it all ties together. The government uses the ploy of protecting the people and protecting the children from these drugs and the naievity of the American people allows them to portray it. It's really quite a shame how ignorant people are. Just because you legalize drugs doesn't mean everybody is going to run out and shoot dope or smoke meth. That's the same thing as saying people will magically turn gay when same sex marriage becomes legalized. It's so infuriating how ignorant people are and how the government manipulates the masses for their own gains when government should work for us.

This law wouldn't change anything.

If someone wants to use excessive amounts they'd only need the money to buy larger amounts and it wouldn't matter if they sold smaller packages.

I'm kind of surprised some of the mods haven't heard that people have used it to get high since I've read quite a few threads here over the years about people using it to get high and that's how I found out that it can.

I read one thread recently where people were questioning whether it was possible about 12 years ago and the thread was really long with multiple accounts towards the end once it got to like 2010-2011 of people finally agreeing that it's possible.

How incredibly stupid though, and SUPER dangerous.

And while I feel for the mother who posted about her son, I have to agree with other posters who say this should not be regulated or even banned.

I'm sorry, but if someone is desperate enough to take enough lope to kill themselves they could have done it with just about anything and need mental help more than regulation of the drug.

It's too bad that he didn't use stem and vein Kratom or certain other things for his WD, and the thing is, if it were easier to obtain the safer alternatives for WD like Methadone or others he wouldn't have turned to such a dangerous alternative.

Like 99% of people who buy it use it for diahrrea.

I was driving today and past another D.A.R.E. sign and it started bothering me that EVERY. SINGLE. TOWN. has a D.A.R.E. sign and yet that program is not the least bit concerned with actually helping educate people in a REAL way about drugs. I mean isn't it weird that EVERY town in America is on board with it and I see a sign in EVERY town I enter?

This sign annoyed me more than most though because they usually say "D.A.R.E. to resist drugs and violence" but this one said "D.A.R.E. to never used drugs."

I kind of had to laugh.

They just decided to take the "violence" part out altogether (cause you know, drugs are worse than violence) and just REALLY emphasize the horrors of drugs with the "NEVER" part.

Then I started imagining what REAL drug education would be like.

I've definitely used it to aide in withdrawal. Not to get rid of all symptoms, but to aide me from not accidentally shitting myself because sometimes it's not flatulence but rather some leakage. Saved me from a lot of embarrassment.

Obviously only the desperate would be using loperamide to help with opioid WDs. I mean really.

I agree completely! More "punishment" for the desperate and suffering!

You want to know what is worse than death? Torture by way of opiate withdrawal and pain!

If anything, it should be obvious that opiate withdrawal is not something people can just "cold turkey" and you will be just fine in a few days! What a crock of bullshit! If that were the case, why is everyone looking for medication to use to come off or replace the opiate medication? Nobody is fine in a week or two!

They need to make opiate medication every bit as available as loperamide is!
That way, people in desperate situations could just buy the safe option!

Our children are going to continue to die until we change our minds about "addicts" and chronic pain and other things.

We should all be more concerned with the suffering of other human beings than anything else. Period!

Painful Thank you!!
As the parent of a 22 year old in this crazy fucked up world, I can not agree more with you!!!
This stupid War on Drugs is what is Killing all our kids!
It is a Diseases of ADDICTION , not to a Substance!!!!!!
Money, Sex, Tobacco, shopping, Anger, Drama , GUNS the list goes on and on.
We sure need to ban from stores and lock up all the people that have too much of any of this list>>>
As along as MONEY can be made and Taxed by all sides then we Fuel ADDICTION!!!

This is all so Fucked up
when I was young Crack came out, cheaper for low income people of color to use rather than powder.
WE LOCKED THEM ALL UP !!!!!!!!! Needed to cut the head off the snake and stop all the drug addicts.

Now we have ' OPIOID USE DISORDER" and everyone needs Treatment not jail for white middle class housewife and soccer Dads, Who eat OXY like jelly beans??????????

I like that they are trying to clean up decades worth of overprescribing and opiate abuse by doctors and the pharmaceutical industry. What I don't like is that they have no real plan in place for all the people addicted. I would be scared to be an addict right now, in the USA. Are they just trying to fill up the prisons, I wonder? Because where else are people going to go to get addiction relief but street opiates. Of course now, the street opiates are being tainted with fentanyl which is killing people in droves. I have a conspiracy theory or two about that one.

Myself, I've used loperamide during IBD flares... where I am shitting blood 28 times a day and rapidly dying. Without loperamide I would not survive. So, cheers to the government for all its shitty policy making.