• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Having to hide use to prevent husband from relapsing

Deemgd

Bluelighter
My husband is a former crack cocaine addict, and he has been completley clean and sober from all substances for 13 years. I have been clean from heroin for ten years. However, 4 years ago I began to be prescribed prescription pain killers for a back problem, and I have developed quite a prescription pill problem in that time.

My husband is aware of by opiate addiction, but he is accepting of me using them, even though i heavily abuse them, because I have a genuine medical need for them. He has never liked opiates or downers, and it's not a trigger or temptation for him.

However, in the last year, I have developed an amphetimine abuse problem that he has no idea about. I have constant access to adderall, and will go on long, 3-5 day binges where I take outrageous amounts, but only once or twice a month. My use is getting closer and closer in between binges, and I'm finding it hard to stop. I'm terrified that if he finds out, It will be a doorway to lead him back into stimulants and kill him.

I feel so ashamed of myself and feel like I'm being deceitful, but i want to protect his sobriety. I feel so alone because no one knows I'm struggling with amphetimines, when I do them it's like I'm leading a double life. I will lay down with him at night pretending to go to sleep, and then be sitting up all night on the couch tweaking while he's in the other room sleeping.

We have a 4 year old son and he can't have two parents who are using, so I have to keep it a secret so it doesn't tempt my husband back into that life, but I feel so alone and horrible about what I'm doing. It would break his heart if he found out I was doing this behind his back, because he thinks he can trust me.

Does anyone have any advice for me in this situation? I know the easy answer is to stop using but I can't as the adderall is in my house, with a supply every month, and I just can't control myself.

I started taking it to be a good wife and mother, as it enabled me to clean and do things I can't normally do because of my back problems, but it's actually going to destroy my marriage.

Your husbands reaction might not be as bad as you think. I used to hide all my drug use from my girlfriend but now I tell her everything, and she is usually pretty understanding. Its a huge weight off my shoulders. Maybe bring it up as like 'I am been suffering with this addiction, it has made me feel terrible, and I really would like your help and support for getting off' that would probably go over better than "I'm going stims again... want a hit?". Hahaha. But no, I dont reallly know the whole story so its hard to say. But... honesty is the best policy!

Last edited:
Is there anything you can do to not have such a readily available supply of Ritalin in your house? If not, almost every other possible solution will probably be thwarted. It also sounds like you're going to have a really tough time quitting on your own but you tell me, maybe not?? It sounds like you need to do whatever it takes to get all this behind you.

I don't need to tell you that your family's future is at stake. Sorry, I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything but it sounds like things have pretty much reached a critical level. I seriously wish all the best to you and your family.

Why do you have such steady access? Do you have a prescription? It seems like you should cut yourself off from the source. Any drug addiction is hard to stop, but with amphetamine at least there isn't withdrawal. Do your husband and child make you feel happy? II have a hard time resisting stimulants but I find that when I have no way to get them easily, it's not so hard to just not do them. But if they're around, I'll find reasons to do them. Therefore, I don't keep them around.

Why do you have such steady access? Do you have a prescription? It seems like you should cut yourself off from the source. Any drug addiction is hard to stop, but with amphetamine at least there isn't withdrawal. Do your husband and child make you feel happy? II have a hard time resisting stimulants but I find that when I have no way to get them easily, it's not so hard to just not do them. But if they're around, I'll find reasons to do them. Therefore, I don't keep them around.

I don't have a prescription, but someone else that lives in our house does. My husband knows they have the script but has no idea I'm taking them. It's not a situation where I can ask the person to leave either, as it's a relative of my husband's that we are helping out with a place to live. Every month when they get their scripts, I promise myself I won't take any but I do. I've made a huge mess of everything. No clue what to do or how to stop with it readily accessible.

I don't have a prescription, but someone else that lives in our house does. My husband knows they have the script but has no idea I'm taking them. It's not a situation where I can ask the person to leave either, as it's a relative of my husband's that we are helping out with a place to live. Every month when they get their scripts, I promise myself I won't take any but I do. I've made a huge mess of everything. No clue what to do or how to stop with it readily accessible.

Does the person living with you know about the amphetamine problem? I'd imagine he would notice his pills missing and knowing that he didn't take them. I also agree with what Xokoth said in that you need to be cut off from the source. When I stopped using opiates, the only way to get myself to stop was to not allow myself to have the means to get them (money) and had my parents hold all of my money so that I wouldn't go out and score.

Yeah your best bet may be to come clean to the person living with you, explain the situation, and let them know they need to keep them hidden.

^^ I'd like to know how you're taking what sounds like dozens of pills from your room mate without them noticing. lol

It's not that they aren't noticing. They are giving them to me.

So now I'm in a situation where if I do come clean, I'm putting the person who is giving them to me in jeopardy too. My husband will flip. I just need to find a way to control myself knowing that they are always in the house. I use them to get through the day when I'm out of my pain meds. I can't push through without something, and I always over do it on my pain meds because I have such a high tolerance from being a former heroin user. I just feel so guily and like such a loser that I put myself in this situation.

Ask your room mate to please not give you any, hide them from you.

So now I'm in a situation where if I do come clean, I'm putting the person who is giving them to me in jeopardy too. My husband will flip. I just need to find a way to control myself knowing that they are always in the house. I use them to get through the day when I'm out of my pain meds. I can't push through without something, and I always over do it on my pain meds because I have such a high tolerance from being a former heroin user. I just feel so guily and like such a loser that I put myself in this situation.

You don't need to call yourself a loser and let shame dig the hole deeper! You have been honest and brave enough to admit what is going on to yourself and now you have to take the next step by talking to your roommate and letting him know that you have developed an addiction and he needs to help you by withholding the pills. If you are taking his prescription I take it he doesn't even take them himself? Then why can't he just not fill the prescription?

Hi Deemgd, I'm Torchy. I just spent an hour responding to your post. Unfortunately, I attempted to edit and it was deleted. However, I was able to go back, copy, paste towird document. Yay!

It is forthcoming....

I'm totally gonna be the buzzkill here. I apologize in advance.

Having been in long term recovery in the past and back to using for a couple of years again now there are a number of highlights in your post that stand out to me. Firstly, you've identified that you are a poly-substance abuser and that makes this a little more challenging but here's the good news: Adderall has no major withdrawal concerns. It's like weed, primarily psychological. Taper down and quit. In fact, stopping "cold turkey" is a great idea. Now only you know how much you use. We addicts are great at concealing our ACTUAL intake. We minimize the shit out of our use. That said, only you can safely say that quitting (the amphetamine portion) without supervised detox. Fortunately, you're not dealing with CNS depressants like benzidines, barbiturates or alcohol which REQUIRE supsrvised detox as stopping those can be deadly. In fact, are the deadliest if not closely monitored. Regarding the opiates, you have 2 options: quit, detox on your own at home which (had I know this would've saved myself a shitload of inconvenience and money, but I'll get there in a minute) and go through the "flu" symptoms which I expect you're already familiar with. However, depending on how much you're truly taking, after 4 years, detox can be very dangerous. Therefore, IMHO, you need to seek out a supervised detox treatment center followed up by several weeks of IOP (Intense Outpatient) followed by continuing care perhaps 2-3 times per week of outpatient.
Long story short about me and my proof of knowledge: I began using at 11. Cigarettes to huffing gasoline then butane, on to pot then in to college using everything you can imagine as I ran the gay circuit in central Florida. Ecstacy, GHB, cocaine, crystal, alcohol, weed - you get it. Honey I tore that dance floor up! I'm 37 almost 38 and I can still close my eyes and hear that music, feel those breakbeats and see those lights. I look at my pictures and wonder how exactly I managed to retain my attractive appearance or even live. But I did and here I am. I tapered back after college and did the weed & xanax thing. But ultimately, I discovered opiates around 25 years of age. Began with 10mg percocets, pretty quick to roxycet then combined with xanax and finally to heroin. By the end of 28 almost 29, I knew I was going to die doing it. I needed a change. And so, I went the methadone route. In all honesty, it made my transition off heroin amazingly smoothe. No sickness and minimal body pain. FYI: methadone is a strong pain analgesic that's used for opiate treatment and for others who experience pain that they have trouble controlling (REMEMBER THIS PART). All in all, I spent nearly 9 years taking methadone. Had I been smart, I'd have done it correctly, over a 60-90 day period (which is what state funded provides, if I recall correctly). But I went to a self pay clinic and could do about what I wanted. Up my dose as I wanted, decrease it, just take it as I so chose. Until one day, I said I'm done. I took 2 weeks of vacation from work and on day 1 checked myself into detox. I refused all opiate treatment (which was counter to my goal as I saw it) and accepted only non-opiate pain relief. I was scared going in because my psychiatrist was concerned. He'd detoxed people off street level methadone abuse but not someone as in my case. Nearly 9 years of DAILY straight medicinal oral concentrate. So, as I'd mentioned, methadone is a very strong pain analgesic. It literally deadens everything in your body. Methadone synthesizes opiates for which a UA reads methadone, not opiates. It constipates you. You have a daily morning come down prior to dosing. If you miss a day, the day is ruined by a cloud of depression.
And so I get all checked in. Of course, being OCD, I followed the "allowed items" list and packed a rolling suitcase with some "fun things" to do like coloring books, crayons and puzzles. No joke, I was the queen of the night rolling into that detox unit with my suitcase. Remember, this was my vacation. Some vacation! My anticipated 4-5 days of detox became 14. It was not cute. I'll spare you the gorey details but suffice it to say, when you stop (way too long) long term methadone maintenance, the body and that was deadend begins to come back online. Not pretty! The primary detox medication was phenobarbital. That's what stage 4, terminal cancer patients are prescribed. I was literally put into a daily awake/mobile/up & about coma. No joke. I was being given 400 mgs phenobarbital daily @ 100 mgs each 4 hrs, 1400 mgs robaxin (later decided to have been much too high) to keep my muscles from spasming and coiling up, medication for restless legs at night, 20 mgs Ambien nightly and all the vistiril, antidiarrheal and antinausea I could take, tons of B, C, folic acid, shit tons of other vitamins and of course a constant machine at my side monitoring my heart rate/blood pressure. I was the star of detox. Everbody, nurses, patients and whoever the hell else was constantly checking on me. It was shitty a shifty, painful experience and that's being generous. I never touched my coloring book, crayons or puzzles. I'd wake during the nights disoriented, confused... I'd make my way into the hall and before the nurses could even reach me, my muscles literally buckled under me and once somehow ended up face first with my legs up over me and another time, fell so hard, face first again into the floor I saw stars. The second time I recall crying very intensely because of the impact. I was rushed to have an MRI. Afterwards, I was prescribed Kep-, Kep- something. I cant recall. But it was for seizures. 1200 mgs of that, too. After this fall, I was as if I'd been returned from another planet and realized what happened. It was, needless to say, a horrifying experience. That night, after returning from MRI, I perceived the nurse as having accidentally sloshed water on me. After handing me the water I threw it all on her, verbally destroyed her with some colorful language and scared her right off that unit. Between detox, all the medications and the head falls, I'd become someone completely antithetical to who I am. That nurse was never back on my unit for my duration. I've always felt bad and wanted to apologize to her immensely. But I was coached to understand detox is not glamorous and that it was best I forgave myself. To date, I've never really found that forgiveness to self. Because I was a monster that night to say the very least.
After detox, I was in 2 weeks IOP M-F 8a-330p (intensive outpatient) followed by 12 weeks outpatient Tu-Th 6-9p.
I was required to attend multiple fellowships (NA, AA, SA, CA). I did my 90/90 (90 meetings in 90 days). I believe that worked well for me. It took time to see how the program worked. At first, it seemsd silly. Ultimately, I grew bored of it because on the deep, personal level, I've never connected well with people. Anytime I spoke out loud, I felt fake. And I never understood it. Because I was as real as real got. For me it was always the "connection" thing.
PLEASE REMEMBER MY EXPERIENCE IF YOU CHOOSE THE METHADONE ROUTE. IT CAN HELP BUT DO NOT EXCEED 60-90 DAYSIF YOU DO.
You said you love your husband and child. Put your arms around them, never let go and ignore anyone in this forum that plays a "rescuing" role in how you might explain this or that. Yes, ultimately, you'll need to be forthcoming. Recovery is all about integrity. Truth to self and to others equally. Find treatment, tackle this challenge and reclaim your life! I would challenge you to that. In fact, as I type, I'm re-challenging myself. Because I began smoking crystal about a year ago. And the time to quit is all but here. I wouldn't touch an opiate to save anyone's life after my experience.
In treatment, several things remain with me, most notably: ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO ANY LENGTH FOR YOUR RECOVERY??? ANY LENGTH.
As addicts, getting into and remaining in sobreity, actively working our program of recovery is in fact the HARDEST thing we'll ever do.
I wish you great luck. And when you are in recovery, if you slip, don't look back. Just don't use and work your program.
RECOVERY, I FOUND TO BE PARADOXICAL: early on, we surrender everything as we cannot control this, that or the other. We're powerless over our addictions. But about 6 months into my recovery, I began to quickly realize that I do, we do in fact have power over our addictions. But it takes work. And diligence and tears and frustration. But it's doable. I know it is! I've done it. And thanks for your post, you've reinvigorated something within me that says, "it's time again".

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! IT'S TIME!!

He is going be more mad about the fact that you and the roommate have a secret about this then the actual use .

1) Adderall has no major withdrawal concerns. It's like weed, primarily psychological. Taper down and quit. In fact, stopping "cold turkey" is a great idea.

2) Regarding the opiates, you have 2 options: quit, detox on your own at home which (had I know this would've saved myself a shitload of inconvenience and money, but I'll get there in a minute) and go through the "flu" symptoms which I expect you're already familiar with. However, depending on how much you're truly taking, after 4 years, detox can be very dangerous. Therefore, IMHO, you need to seek out a supervised detox treatment center followed up by several weeks of IOP (Intense Outpatient) followed by continuing care perhaps 2-3 times per week of outpatient.

3) After detox, I was in 2 weeks IOP M-F 8a-330p (intensive outpatient) followed by 12 weeks outpatient Tu-Th 6-9p.
I was required to attend multiple fellowships (NA, AA, SA, CA). I did my 90/90 (90 meetings in 90 days). I believe that worked well for me. It took time to see how the program worked. At first, it seemsd silly. Ultimately, I grew bored of it because on the deep, personal level, I've never connected well with people.

4) PLEASE REMEMBER MY EXPERIENCE IF YOU CHOOSE THE METHADONE ROUTE. IT CAN HELP BUT DO NOT EXCEED 60-90 DAYSIF YOU DO.

5) You said you love your husband and child. Put your arms around them, never let go

6) In treatment, several things remain with me, most notably: ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO ANY LENGTH FOR YOUR RECOVERY??? ANY LENGTH. As addicts, getting into and remaining in sobreity, actively working our program of recovery is in fact the HARDEST thing we'll ever do.

Torchy, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. There were multiple things in your post I wanted to respond to, but you have to forgive me as I don't know how to multiple quote things in a reply, so I went and numbered the parts of your post to correspond with my answers, if that makes sense.

1)Adderall is definitley psychologically addictive to me. in fact, I will only use it when I am out of my opiates, to help me cope with life and getting through the day. Part of it is due to untreated depression and I'm selfmedicating, the other aspect is that I have chronic pain, and when I'm out of my opiates I can't even get out of bed, let alone take care of my son, so I use the adderall to "push" me to do things I physically can't. I feel like such a failure as a person when I can't do normal things like clean my house, and the adderall helps me do that.

2) I've detoxed myself at home many times, and I'm comfortable doing it. I even detoxed myself off heroin at home over a decade ago, so I don't think that a detox is something I'll be needing, but thanks for your input. And honestly, I'm not ready to get off of my opiates yet because I feel like I can't function without them, And some days the pain without them is so bad that I can't even take a shower. So right now they are kind of a necessary evil until I can find something else as a solution to my daily pain.

3) Rehab is not an option. I've been through so many rehabs that I could run one myself. I've been through almost two dozen since I was 12 years old, and they were NEVER able to get me clean. Same goes for AA and NA. They never worked for me, if anything they were just a place to find new hookups. In the end, as corny as it sounds, the only thing that was able to get me clean was having some really devastating life events that led me to God. I've been to rehabs, psychiatrists, jails, tried meds, had a million rock bottoms, and in the end, He was the only thing that could free me from addiction. I need to get back to that.

4) Again, medication never helped, as my using is very much a coping/emotional thing, and I know myself well enough to know that if I were to get on methadone or suboxone I would never get off it. The withdrawals would be much worse than the withdrawals from my medication, and I know it's something I'd just abuse as well, and I'm afraid I would be stuck on them for life, even when it got to the point that I wanted to quit- the withdrawals would keep me from doing so. With what I'm on now, I can detox myself when I'm ready.

5) I do. Every day. They mean the world to me and I hate myself for risking losing them over some pills. Especially after being clean from everything for over six years. Now that I've started back down this road, I'm finding it very hard to get off- even for them. I've been an addict since I was 12 and I'm 34 now, and it's my default way to cope with life. It should be God, because I know he can fix it- I just feel very far away from him Now that I've started back into addiction.

6) honestly, I can't say that I'm willing to go to any lengths right now. I feel like I can't cope without substances and it scares me. I wish I was at the point where I would go to any lengths but if I'm being honest I want to continue to self medicate, but just have the least possible consequences while doing so- especially regarding the opiates. Those are definitley a crutch for me, and something I'm not ready to give up. I do, however, want to stop the adderall, because I don't want to lose my husband over it. I'm just not sure how to now that I've started this.

He is going be more mad about the fact that you and the roommate have a secret about this then the actual use .

Believe me, I know. That is where a lot of my guilt is coming from. But my addiction keeps telling me what's the point in stopping now since I already have this secret- there's no fixing it or taking it back, which is making stopping so much harder for me, because it's almost like what's the point if that makes sense- I've already betrayed his trust.

I think it is always a good idea to differentiate when addiction is talking to you and when it is really you talking to yourself. This is clearly addiction talking. "Why bother", "fuck it" and "It's too late now" are some of addictions most tried and true phrases.;)

I was struck by one of your statements above talking about how many times you have been to re-hab. I had to smile appreciatively when I read "I could run one myself". You are no doubt right! One of the reasons that rehab does not work for so many people is that everything is focused on quitting a drug or all drugs. Drugs are the symptom of a deeper problem. They are effective at at least mitigating the pain inherent in living--why would a person not go back to them? Of course you know the answer to that is that the pain just keeps getting bigger and stronger and more tangled and it takes more and more drugs to have an effect. But addiction has a great way of denying that little reality and making sure you stay where it wants you: unable to face life with nothing more than your own brain chemicals.

For a person that has used drugs since the age of 12, you have been denied the age appropriate explorations and development that help a human transition from child to adult. Creating strategies for difficult emotions is the most daunting task of adulthood and most of us flounder our way through it. It never comes easily to anyone. But when you allow yourself to develop your own personalized strategies for accepting difficult emotions you find they are in fact not so difficult after all. As far as using Adderall to get through your day and accomplish everything you want to accomplish, it seems worthwhile to point out that maybe you are trying to be superwoman?

Maybe you need to start a mission to go back and save the little 12 year old that was sent to rehab. Ask her, "what hurt?" Tell her you are on her side now.

I used to be in a same kind of situation in which I had back pain and abused opiates in a way that they ended before I could get refill so I used Ritalin, benzos and Lyrica to overcome the WDs and ended up Dr. shopping after some years. I had a back surgery and my pain had gone so I tapered +250mg oxycodone a day habit within few months after the surgery and ended up into ORT as I felt I couldn’t cope my daily life without opiates. After a year or a bit less using Suboxone while in the ORT I ended up having back pain again and was prescribed oxycodone again so I quitted Suboxone and started to use 80mg oxycodone a day again but at the same time I started to go to gym and lose weight.

After six months of physiotherapy and gym as well as 66 pounds I didn’t have any back pain again so I said that instead going back to Suboxone I decided to quit opiates and now it has been 13days without opiates after a rapid taper in detox facility.

Last year I have been fixing things in my life and I have also met a wonderful person who shares my life now so I feel like I have dealt with the issues that lead me to use and I have also learned to accept life as it is. I am quite sure that this time I will succeed in living a sober life as I don’t feel anymore that I would need to use something daily.

Are there something you could do for your back pain problems instead of opiates?

I think it is always a good idea to differentiate when addiction is talking to you and when it is really you talking to yourself. This is clearly addiction talking. "Why bother", "fuck it" and "It's too late now" are some of addictions most tried and true phrases.;)

I was struck by one of your statements above talking about how many times you have been to re-hab. I had to smile appreciatively when I read "I could run one myself". You are no doubt right! One of the reasons that rehab does not work for so many people is that everything is focused on quitting a drug or all drugs. Drugs are the symptom of a deeper problem. They are effective at at least mitigating the pain inherent in living--why would a person not go back to them? Of course you know the answer to that is that the pain just keeps getting bigger and stronger and more tangled and it takes more and more drugs to have an effect. But addiction has a great way of denying that little reality and making sure you stay where it wants you: unable to face life with nothing more than your own brain chemicals.

For a person that has used drugs since the age of 12, you have been denied the age appropriate explorations and development that help a human transition from child to adult. Creating strategies for difficult emotions is the most daunting task of adulthood and most of us flounder our way through it. It never comes easily to anyone. But when you allow yourself to develop your own personalized strategies for accepting difficult emotions you find they are in fact not so difficult after all. As far as using Adderall to get through your day and accomplish everything you want to accomplish, it seems worthwhile to point out that maybe you are trying to be superwoman?

Maybe you need to start a mission to go back and save the little 12 year old that was sent to rehab. Ask her, "what hurt?" Tell her you are on her side now.

Herbavore, thank you for this reply. I totally agree with everything you've said. My addiction is very much rooted in not having coping skills. I have worked hard over the years to try to develop some, but chemicals are always my fall back when I don't know how to cope or it gets too hard. I am actually in therapy now trying to deal with childhood trauma that I believe is preventing me from being able to cope in healthy ways.

I definitley try to be Superwoman. I'm much harder on myself than anyone else could ever be. It's a vicious cycle.

Are there something you could do for your back pain problems instead of opiates?

The only solution available is to lose weight, which is much easier said than done. Even then, my back won't be fixed, but it will lessen the pain. Surgery isn't an option and steroid injections didn't work, so I am kind of stuck with this problem.