• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mdma dizziness and insomnia

Brucey85

Bluelighter
Hi was wondering if someone could help. I have been an occasional drug user for many years mainly mdma and coke without any issues except a few bad comedowns. I had some mdma about 18 months ago and suffered insomnia around 5-6 weeks later. I never put two and two together with it being so long after taking it but now I realise it was probably the cause. Anyways, stupidly iv taken it a couple of times since, the last being around 5 weeks ago. Almost straight away I felt really light headed and a bit dizzy and still feel exactly the same 5 weeks on. Then last week my insomnia (which had got a bit better) started again with a bang which is around 5 weeks after the mdma like it was before. Also been feeling panicky and nervous not sure if this is a form of anxiety as never felt like this before, feel really down like I could cry if I let my self. this too started around the same time as the insomnia around 5 weeks after initial comedown. The light headed thing like iv been on a fairground ride, insomnia and depression is really getting to me. Anyone advise if this is common? Been trying to live clean and hope it improves. Any other suggestions? Pls help, thanks for reading.

No, this is not really that common. It can be common to have feelings of depression or wanting to cry weeks or even months after heavy use of MDMA/MDA. But the insomnia and anxiety is not often a persisting effect from MDMA-like drugs. However, as I am sure you are aware, "MDMA" is very often counterfeit these days with research chemicals running rampant masquerading as "molly".

I would suggest going and speaking to a doctor. I know it can be hard, but be honest with them. You may need some prescription medications initially to overcome this and experiencing symptoms of dizziness is usually a good indicator that you should perhaps get your heart checked out, be checked for inner-ear infections and a number of others things. Don't panic, though. You are likely fine but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Hey there thanks for the reply. Think I will get an appointment to see a doctor. It was quite a big dose - 3 strong pills which had been tested around the 200mg mark, although the years have built some tolerance to it. Was wondering if my head had just been knocked sideways and needs some time to reset itself. Have some prescription sleeping tablets from my last insomnia struggles which i am going to have to use. Just been really concerned with not feeling well this long afterwards, which is 5 and half weeks now and not experiencing it previously. Also noticed my short term memory isnt great but i guess this is due to the insomnia and tiredness. Starting to affect my day to day routine and my work which is not good.

You could perhaps use the sleeping pills to help you hold out until the doctor appointment but I highly urge you to go to the doctor. You should not play with dizziness, light-headiness, etc.

And that is way, way too much MDMA. Even 200mg is considered a heavy dose. 600mg is far beyond. MDMA often loses its pleasurable effects at these types of higher doses and just tends to become a strange and unenjoyable hallucinogen and can have all kinds of strange side-effects. Were you a party to these tests or was this given to you second-hand by a dealer? Often these kinds of boasts are just marketing material for dealers. Tolerance does not build especially quickly to MDMA or MDA. Rather, the "magic" (love, feelings of empathy, etc.) is lost and you are left with roughly the same level of side-effects. So a 200mg dose would be overdoing it for both a new user and a hardened user. Taking more will not bring the magic back for a user who doesn't feel it at a 120mg dose. Only months of being off of it can reset those 5-HT receptors to bring the magic back.

Best of luck and I hope you start feeling better. Make that doctor appoint as soon as you can. I think you will feel a lot better knowing that nothing is seriously wrong and they will likely wite you some prescriptions to help you feel better. You may even need an anti-depressant to help counter-act the long-term MDMA/MDA after-effects.

Thanks. The pills were tested with a home test kit and the dealer who is reliable source from past experience said 200mg. Reports found on line seemed to back this up too. Pretty stupid to have that much though. I did notice the halucogen effects later on in the roll which i have associated more with mda than mdma in the past but possible for both i guess at that dose. With regard to the tolerance, some magic has gone but I have noticed the 100-120 sort of doses still work well but wear off a lot quicker than it used to which is probably why I end up taking more. Have been doing it on and off for around 8 years but always with decent breaks between rolls. Will report back with what the doctor says. Seriously hoping it improves asap though and definitely enough for me to call time on my party days.

I am glad you are deciding to go to the doctor. I know how much anxiety just thinking something is seriously wrong with you can cause, which then increases your anxiety, etc. It is a vicious cycle. I think you will feel better after getting a professional opinion.

As for MDMA, MDA and entheogenic vs. hallucinogenic effects, I used to take both way, way too much over the course of about 2 years somewhere around 20 years ago. I would use it generally 2 - 5 times a week (and yes this is way, way overboard and asking for trouble but I have always had an addictive and obsessive personality). I got to know these overdose and magic-less effects pretty well, sadly. Keep in mind that this is all anecdotal but it was something that my close friends who were also using in similar patterns also agreed they felt. Probably the best way I could differentiate between MDMA and MDA in regular doses was that MDMA at peak effect seemed to make everything become sort of fuzzy and my eyes would begin to feel tighter to the point where they would feel like they drifting and crossing (nystagmus). But I could always focus them. At these types of doses I would never see anything that wasn't there. Colors would just be affected and things would seem to kind of glow or appear fuzzy. MDA on the other hand would cause extremely intense nystagmus with very odd fully-formed visual hallucinations. It would seem like *eyes wiggle wiggle wiggle STOP* friend is holding a kitten *eyes wiggle wiggle wiggle STOP* friend is holding a shoe *eyes wiggle wiggle wiggle STOP* friend is actually holding nothing. I never got this effect from any level of MDMA and I believe things like this that my friends dubbed "magic tricks" were the typical profile of MDA hallucinations. In most circumstances these would be quite frightening but of course you are so out of your gourd it just doesn't phase you in that way.

Now after heavy use that blew the magic completely away, we would find ourselves continuously redosing to try to get it back (a strategy that has about a 0% chance of working I found) the two both headed in a similar direction but diverged a bit again on intensity and exact effects. At high, hallucinogenic doses of MDMA I would feel an intense depersonalized feeling with intense color blending and warping of surroundings. However, these distortions tended to be mostly static. You could stare at them and they would not move in any way. I would sometimes begin to see very mild tracers on fast moving, brightly-colored objects. At similar doses of MDA, I would have the same feeling, but the visual distortions would move, melt and wave in a more LSD-like manner. I would also see much longer, more LSD-like tracers on moving objects. Also the visual "magic trick" hallucinations would persist but in a different way. I usually found that nystagmus would either stop or level out on hallucinogenic doses. Rather if I quickly turned my head I may see something that wasn't there for a moment. I would also see strong patterns on blank surfaces that I would not see typically with MDMA.

Okay sorry I kind of went off on a tangent but I have never really stopped and tried to quantify and compare these experiences and this just got my mind going. I suppose probably the more interesting thing to you is what kind of after-effects I experienced after this level of usage. I will say I always felt 20x worse after high doses of MDA than MDMA. I would usually tend to recover within a week or two after heavy MDMA usage but sometimes it could take months to really get fully back after a high dose MDA binge. I haven't used any methylendioxy- drugs in years but I have heard that MDA has gotten extremely rare as most users tend to believe that the visual effects even at low, magical doses are an indicator of impurity of traditional psychedelics. But I am sure it is still out there. MDA is significantly faster and easier to produce than MDMA.

If I had to take a guess (and my guess is of course blown away by a doctor actually working with you), I would believe you took an overly high dose of possible MDA. Although I cannot say it is common but my experience is that there can be terrible side effects for a long period of time after an overdose of MDA. It is neurotoxic after all. But again, go by what the doctor says. I have little-to-no-experience with the research chemicals that often get passed around as "molly" these days (a few of the spacier ones can even substitute for MDMA in home test kit usage).

So be on the safe side and definitely go to the doctor soon. Best of luck and respond back with what they say if you would like to!

I had insomnia for 7 years. I slept an average of 1-3 hours per night and I regularly would go a couple days without sleeping at all. About 2 years ago I went gluten free and within a couple weeks I was at 8 hours per night. Since then I have noticed that almost every time I stray from gluten free I will have trouble sleeping for the next week or so, but other than that it has been a miraculous shift! But I did more to overcome it. - Room temperature: cool- Noise: silence or ambient- Light: none- A new mattress (reviews here https://sleepissimple.co.uk/)- Melatonin 1.5 hours before bedI also used an app such as Sleep Cycle to wake me up when im in the lightest phase of sleep (which has a noticeable impact on how rested and eager you are to get out of bed in the morning)I feel a new man now!!!! :D

Hey there, me again. Interesting what you say about the gluten I did wonder about allergies when the insomnia first started a year or two back but never tried anything at the time so might be worth a shot, it had improved a bit before the md binge and that's sent me back to square one with it. Thought I'd also update on the doctor front, well he basically said there was nothing wrong and it would pass. Blood test showed nothing up and I am pretty much in exactly the same position as I was when I wrote my last post. There is a reluctance to prescribe sleeping tabs which i am aware of from before but the spaced out feeling / light headed feeling I really am tired and fed up of now as it's about 8 weeks now and showing no sign of improvement. Also, the description of the mda effects from the post before last I couldn't have described better myself, it was exactly that.