Time limit on how long thread can be responded to or "bumped"

Deemgd

Bluelighter
I've seen a lot of posts where people will say "don't bump a 2 year old thread" or something similar when someone comments on an older post. What's the reason for this? What if a new member has answers\insight? How old is too old for me to comment on a thread? I don't want to get yelled at but I've been going through posts all day to make it to my bluelight status lol.

there's no hard and fast rule. if a thread is on a topic to which you wish to add, bump it.

alasdair

I've seen a lot of posts where people will say "don't bump a 2 year old thread" or something similar when someone comments on an older post. What's the reason for this? What if a new member has answers\insight? How old is too old for me to comment on a thread? I don't want to get yelled at but I've been going through posts all day to make it to my bluelight status lol.

It's not so much the time, it's context.

If somebody brings back a thread to add something relevant/constructive, then that's fine i.e it's some obscure substance and they have something relevant to add to that substances megathread, (or similar) then that would be encouraged. We often have megathreads for such topics, or more recent threads which would be most apt.

But sometimes people will bring back a thread to say something random that isn't even related to the thread, or they'll respond to somebody who asked a question like a decade ago (literally).

I think a lot of the time new people just don't realise a thread is a decade+ old, and they arrive at the thread through google or whatever.

Even if it was asked a decade ago, if their comments are relevant, couldn't that be useful? Say to someone who stumbles across it looking for answers using Google? I know that's how i found this site, and i wasn't looking at when responses were posted, I just cared if they had some insight. So i guess i don't understand why the time issue alone if it's relevant info would be an issue. On the positive side, it could get a good discussion going again.

I think it is more the personal threads that don't make sense when bumped over years time (or sometimes even months). For instance "should I go to rehab?" asked in 2010 or "I missed a vein, should I go to hospital??" asked in 2015. But like the others said, if it is something HR related in a more broad sense and you feel your comment would be useful to someone else down the road--go for it. There is a actually a very fun thread going on in LAVA right now titled, "Best way to re-heat a hamburger". It was revived from 2015 so the question is obviously now absurd....but fun.=D

What is LAVA? I may join in on that I'm super bored tonight lol.

Even if it was asked a decade ago, if their comments are relevant, couldn't that be useful? Say to someone who stumbles across it looking for answers using Google? I know that's how i found this site, and i wasn't looking at when responses were posted, I just cared if they had some insight. So i guess i don't understand why the time issue alone if it's relevant info would be an issue. On the positive side, it could get a good discussion going again.

If people do that in MED then I usually leave them to to it, and often contribute myself, but then again I really try to avoid closing threads etc. Again though, it's context not time (for me), and all mods are different.

This said, most of these kind of posts ime aren't relevant and are just social type messages. In fact, ime 90% of old threads I see resurrected are from spammers. Presumably because their bots are automated.

I'm a bit late to this, Deemgd, but don't fear bumping a thread in OD if you have something to add (it helps that I trust you). At worst one of us will just send it to the archives. Maybe tacodude will yell at you, but if he does, it was for one of his inscrutable reasons, and best to nod and back away.

Usually it's just cause a totally green n00b resurrected a thread about snorting poprocks to add "LOL OMG I F00kin LOVE METH WAHDJHSAJAAJA!!1 Fart. Penis!" In which case it's nice to know such a thread was still open. So it can be closed.

Or they like to give advice to the OP who was give three consecutive life sentences back in 2013.

If you find a good thread by all means bring it back to life.

Then tell me what I'm doing in Site Technical Help. OH, right, I wanted to know what version of vBulletin this is. But I don't remember what for.