• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Jordan Peterson thread

Never heard of him before I read your thread & now I've been lost in Google for an eternity but still have no idea how I feel about him, if anything

Not holding my interest enough to do so, soz...haven't even read the paper yet & it's well past bedtime & in an unusually un-delvey mood tonight
I'm more interested in why you're so keen to hear what people think of him....?

I think he's an interesting guy, with a good head on him. He's got a huge following in the alt-right which I'd imagine puts a lot of people off, but then again much of the alt-right think that lefties like me are somehow of the same ilk as the mainstream media. 8( Point being, I guess things are never so cut and dried. I see he was on the receiving end of one of our many disingenuous BBC reporters nefarious questioning the other day.

Anyway, he does have some very interesting stuff to say beyond the whole pronoun/etc debate though, which I only realised yesterday by a chance recommend from youtube which I've posted belowI haven't really seen much of this stuff, but I saw this video and it is really fucking interesting, and seemingly a good glimpse into what he's really about. He has a lot of stuff on overcoming social anxiety/anxiety/depression/etc.

Last edited:
He's a misogynistic (and especially transmisogynistic) asshole.

The final authority over which pronoun should be used to refer to a pronoun is the target of the pronoun, end of.

To put it simply, he's the "stupid man's smart person". Not that that's a bad thing. I think a lot of us have become brain-dead, stricken with mental illness, and fallen from society that we need someone to tell us the obvious again.

Drugs derail you from what's normal. You miss social cues, you fail to recognize a particular interest, etc.

The best way I could put it was through analogy. Let's say everyone is communicating through a frequency like a radio. When you take drugs, all of the sudden your tune-in frequency gets lowered and you start missing what everyone is saying to the point you can't understand them anymore.

He's a good guy. I respect him.

Let's say everyone is communicating through a frequency like a radio. When you take drugs, all of the sudden your tune-in frequency gets lowered and you start missing what everyone is saying to the point you can't understand them anymore..

Can't agree with that, myself.

He actually states, regarding trans folk, that he addresses/would address any trans person as they wish to be addressed.

He further states something along the lines of "It's when the government tells me I must refer to a trans person by a specific pronoun that then I will refuse"

Anyhow, like many I never heard of him until last week when there were headlines of him in an interview with some pisspoor British woman whose agenda got lampooned. Probably forget him again soon.

He's a misogynistic (and especially transmisogynistic) asshole.

The final authority over which pronoun should be used to refer to a pronoun is the target of the pronoun, end of.

Why do you believe that is the case Julie?

Do you believe it is the right of the individual to invent their own reality and that anyone who doesn't bow to their desire is a criminal?

Why does the target of the pronoun have a right to decide over the individuals right to describe reality as they are experiencing it?

I would like to hear your opinion.

How could it be any other way? If a pronoun refers to a real person, then that person is the one who gets to choose by what pronoun they are referred to, because references to them are their property.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Why should anyone have the right to force under law someone to describe them in a certain way rather than a person having the right to describe the world as it appears to them?

If I decide that I'm a giraffe tomorrow should everyone else in the world be forced to call me a giraffe? If not then why not?

What evidence or philosophical logic do you have to support your claim that references to a person are their property?

No?

You're making some pretty strong claims there. It would be good to understand why you feel that way because I don't really agree

How could it be any other way? If a pronoun refers to a real person, then that person is the one who gets to choose by what pronoun they are referred to, because references to them are their property.

I'm not sure that the statement 'references to them are their property' has any real truth, sorry Julie. You're going to have to qualify this more fully. I don't know I can own the way others refer to me at all, I can only ask that they use particular pronouns. If they don't, do I really have, or should i have, any legal right to force them too? It doesn't sit quite right.

So there's another person for whom it isn't self-evident. It's a very strong claim to make, usually that sort of thing is delivered with some sort of reasoning.

I mean, if it is such a self-evident truth it should be pretty easy to support.

Been a JP fan for a while, not quite a fanboy but his lectures are interesting enough, even the Biblical series.

I may just be a dumb man in need of a smarter one, but that's fine with me.

^good to see you around Cat!

Last edited: