Mental Health Docs have switched me from ativan to klonopin

Ganja Gremlin

Bluelighter
So i was on 1mg ativan twice a day and now I've been switched to .5mg klonopin twice a day because the ativan wasn't lasting long enough. My doctor is being a total hard ass and says they won't increase the dosage im on and she said she doesnt usually perscribe this medication for most people . right now it's an okay dosage but I've found sometimes I have to take .75mg, but that's not a problem really because I'm receiving 60 tablets a month and I don't always take it twice a day . What im wondering is overall the klonopin any worse for me than ativan taking everyday ? The dosages are eqivlaumt but the klonopin lasts much longer which is nice because I was having a lot of rebound anxiety on ativan . I've heard klonopin can be hell to get off, but I am only taking 1mg a day total.
I found with ativan I would be in withdrawls in about 24-30 hours if i did not take my dosage, I heard with klonopin you can forget to take it for a day and be okay, is this true?

It's been a struggle for me to finally obtain this perscription , I am 19 and have experienced a lot of ageism with my benzo scripts from doctors . They litterally tried to start me out at .25mg ativan twice a day when I first was perscribed benzos which is a laughably low dose . I finally have gotten them to give me the medicine I actually need for my anxiety , I feel like .75mg klonopin would be a better dosage for me but due to the fact that I weigh less than 100 pounds I keep being told I'm on a " fairly high dosage for my bmi"

What will it be like when I have to get off these meds completely one day . I use them for anxiety related to sexual trauma and ptsd . Will my ptsd be worse? Or will I be able to get off this low dosage relatively easily

It is largely a personal issue. We can't say if things will become better or worse.

That said, klonopin is longer-acting than ativan, and I'd imagine your doctor thinks its more potent than ativan.

I've been told that 1.5mg isn't a high dose, so 1 mg, in the opinion of one doctor I've worked with, isn't high. In fact, I believe that people take as much as 6 mg of klonopin.

I can't say much, other than that the conservative philosophy usually involves first stabilizing on any medication(s) needed at whichever dosage, then stay stable for a period of time before considering reductions a ways down the line. Different doctors have different methods of treatment, and different opinions.

It is largely a personal issue. We can't say if things will become better or worse.

That said, klonopin is longer-acting than ativan, and I'd imagine your doctor thinks its more potent than ativan.

I've been told that 1.5mg isn't a high dose, so 1 mg, in the opinion of one doctor I've worked with, isn't high. In fact, I believe that people take as much as 6 mg of klonopin.

I can't say much, other than that the conservative philosophy usually involves first stabilizing on any medication(s) needed at whichever dosage, then stay stable for a period of time before considering reductions a ways down the line. Different doctors have different methods of treatment, and different opinions.
I think I've just been told it's a higher dosage because of my weight and young age . It depends on the doctor perscribing it I think though because doctors where I live litterally act like they are perscribing me heroin everytime I talk to them about my benzo script . It sucks cuz I have pretty severe ptsd and anxiety but I often feel like I don't get treated seriously, my doctor also has me on buspar to see if that can help without increasing my klonopin.

It's just ridiculous cuz I know I'm gonna eventually have to find a new doctor because .5mg klonopin twice a day isn't gonna work forever, eventually I will need a higher dose .

I also have been prescribed 1 mg of Roche brand Rivotril (0.5 mg Clonazepam sublingual tablets), combined with 30 mg Diazepam and 20 mg Temazepam, I might pick up a script from someone for 90 x 7.5 mg Midazolam (Dormicum) as well so cheers to myself. :D

I wouldn't advice to use it longer than a month in a row because the withdrawals from Benzodiazepines are deadly on their own TBH... Maybe you will need them every day so 1 mg Lorazepam (Ativan) = 0.5 mg Clonazepam (Rivotril) if I am correct so you should have no problems at all switching over. try searching some places for RC Benzodiazepines like Clonazolam which comes in 0.5 mg pellets and is also an anxiolytic IME, try asking for Alprazolam (Xanax) which they usually give 0.25 mg tablets here sadly. :( BTW search the internet for the "Ashton Manual: Benzodiazepines; how they work and how to withdraw", it's really a good guide, perhaps a bit outdated but still relevant. :)

-- Peace o/

I also have been prescribed 1 mg of Roche brand Rivotril (0.5 mg Clonazepam sublingual tablets), combined with 30 mg Diazepam and 20 mg Temazepam, I might pick up a script from someone for 90 x 7.5 mg Midazolam (Dormicum) as well so cheers to myself. :D

I wouldn't advice to use it longer than a month in a row because the withdrawals from Benzodiazepines are deadly on their own TBH... Maybe you will need them every day so 1 mg Lorazepam (Ativan) = 0.5 mg Clonazepam (Rivotril) if I am correct so you should have no problems at all switching over. try searching some places for RC Benzodiazepines like Clonazolam which comes in 0.5 mg pellets and is also an anxiolytic IME, try asking for Alprazolam (Xanax) which they usually give 0.25 mg tablets here sadly. :( BTW search the internet for the "Ashton Manual: Benzodiazepines; how they work and how to withdraw", it's really a good guide, perhaps a bit outdated but still relevant. :)

-- Peace o/
I've already been taking benzos for a few months daily now so I'm unfortantly dependant on them

As are many of us. I think it's a decent bargain, at least in my case. Better to feel free, shackled to dependence rather than painful and debilitating symptoms. Like other psych drugs, they only work if they aren't abused. Benzos have a lot of utility, in my opinion, if used right.

As are many of us. I think it's a decent bargain, at least in my case. Better to feel free, shackled to dependence rather than painful and debilitating symptoms. Like other psych drugs, they only work if they aren't abused. Benzos have a lot of utility, in my opinion, if used right.
I certainly agree with you on that one . Without my script my quality of life would be severely lowered