The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Methamphetamine and reactions with Iv pain medications in hospital

unknown 1234

Greenlighter
Trying to find out any information on reactions of methamphetamine and iv opioids used in hospital for surgery. SWIM has methamphetamine in system and has a surgery in morning. They will be using anesthesia as well as opioid pain medications during and after the procedure. Will the combination of the two drugs possibly counteract the pain relieving effects and intensify pain. SWIM had past experience in hospital while on methamphetamine and was given morphine for pain, but instead of relieving pain it intensified it and caused shoulders muscles to tighten and cramp up. Should SWIM be worried this may happen again? SWIM is somewhat dehydrated from a disorder called achalasia and is unable to pass food or liquids from the esophagus to stomach. Any helpful information or input is appreciated.

We do not use SWIM or any other pointless third person terminology on thi site Unknown - can you do us a favour a rewrite / edit your post so that it reads in the first person? Then we can hopefully get you some useful answers.

Take some magnesium and also drink plenty of electrolyte drinks.

An OTC anti inflammatory would help but you cant eat or drink before an operation for 12 hours.

Morphine should not react like that and you should be given a benzo like diazepam to relax your muscles anyway so just ask for that.

I had major surgery with meth in my system (IV'd the night before, did a "wake-up" line the morning of my surgery.) I had no problems, aside from the anesthesiologist having trouble implanting a I.V. line because I was dehydrated.

Maybe your friend is allergic to morphine or to the specific anesthesia they used. We use those drugs so infrequently, you might not know you are allergic until you have your first dose!

OR ... here's a thought ... Does your friend, by chance, take any kind of psyche meds. They tell you those are all safe for surgery, but many of them -- especially the newer anti-psychotics (often given to patients with severe depression who don't respond to multiple meds to "boost the effectiveness of antidepressants")
do all kinds of nasty stuff.
Noted side effects include muscles spasms, uncontrollably twitching, and jerking limbs.

I'd discuss those possibilities with the surgical team before choosing op/post op meds. If psyche meds are a factor, get your anesthesiologist to look up all the possible drug interactions your medications have with anything he wants to put into your i.v., even anti-nausea drugs.

Since I have had 3 surgeries with meth in my system and each experience was A-OK, I wouldn't worry too much about the meth.

I like to mix meth and opiates and find it intensifies both drugs, tho now that I think about it, the opiates boost the meth more than the other way around. But hey, that's just my 2 cents. We are all different. Vicodin makes me energetic and alert and some Ritalin knocks me out like a light! Go figure.